By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear spikes PS3 sales - good sign or bad?

@kas

yeah.....they never expected them to sell out so quick though

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

why you thought it is bad to PS3?

@gungun.por

because PS3 doomsday (according to xbots n ninty fanboys) was scheduled for this year....(it got delayed from last year you see) n the chances of that happening are low now...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

roadkillers said:
I dunno a MGS has never been this hyped.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was insanely hyped, maybe even more so than this game. It ended up selling over 7 million copies.

Reading Onimusha12's post made me burst out laughing in the middle of my office. What a joke of a post...

Here's Konami's expectations:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/858/858436p1.html

In other Metal Gear Solid 4 news, Tanaka revealed to the site that Konami expects sales to be similar to past titles.

Based on Konami's expectations MGS4 is off to a fantastic start. Only Konami's opinion matters in the end, afterall.

Around the Network

Welcome to the new generation, PS3.

At least, it seems to be an attribute of this generation. One of shortages.

(Other fanboys' voices in the distance: 'How can they be sold out?' 'Did not they see how they sold in Japan?' 'Where is that automatic "increase production" red button, anyhow?')

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Its bad when a troll even gives trolls a bad name.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Onimusha12 said:

@ Leo-J & Bleu-Ocelot

I was expecting this to sell at least as good as GTAIV on the PS3 if not more considering this is not only an exclusive but bundled with the console.

This was the most hyped MGS game ever! It was bundled with a console for one hell of a bargain deal! It was a console exclusive! It was the fucking reason to own a PS3! The PS3 has been outselling the 360 week after week! And this is all it could do? What more does a AAA game seriously need?

I don't know why people were expecting this to do less than one million its first day much ales its first week, but its about just as damn pathetic that people on the otherside of the fence are trying to spin the fact it did manage to pull off such a marginal achievement not only as something worth celebrating but new fuel to the fire for ambitions of Sony domination.

My condolences to you and your Game of the Year that never was. MGS4 is not a flop, it is not a failure, but it sure as hell isn't a victory either.

MGS4 sells out of ALL the bundles. MGS4 sells a million copies in its FIRST day 

whats wrong with you my man?? seriously....take care

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Onimusha12 said:

@ Leo-J & Bleu-Ocelot

I was expecting this to sell at least as good as GTAIV on the PS3 if not more considering this is not only an exclusive but bundled with the console.

This was the most hyped MGS game ever! It was bundled with a console for one hell of a bargain deal! It was a console exclusive! It was the fucking reason to own a PS3! The PS3 has been outselling the 360 week after week! And this is all it could do? What more does a AAA game seriously need?

I don't know why people were expecting this to do less than one million its first day much ales its first week, but its about just as damn pathetic that people on the otherside of the fence are trying to spin the fact it did manage to pull off such a marginal achievement not only as something worth celebrating but new fuel to the fire for ambitions of Sony domination.

My condolences to you and your Game of the Year that never was. MGS4 is not a flop, it is not a failure, but it sure as hell isn't a victory either.

1.3 mil is a bad thing? Geez, what more do you people want? For Sony to cure Cancer before giving credit where credit is due?

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Lightning08 said:

Reading Onimusha12's post made me burst out laughing in the middle of my office. What a joke of a post...

Here's Konami's expectations:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/858/858436p1.html

In other Metal Gear Solid 4 news, Tanaka revealed to the site that Konami expects sales to be similar to past titles.

Based on Konami's expectations MGS4 is off to a fantastic start. Only Konami's opinion matters in the end, afterall.

I can't help but notice the massive amount of negative money in your account finances.

So Konami's opinion is the only one who matters. The fans, who needs them. Game sales, who cares. Game Reviewers, whatever. Konami is all that matters.  

akuma587 said:
Its bad when a troll even gives trolls a bad name.

And again all akuma587 can contribute to the discussion is name calling. You certainly showed me.

ocnkng said:

MGS4 sells out of ALL the bundles. MGS4 sells a million copies in its FIRST day 

whats wrong with you my man?? seriously....take care

GTAIV and Halo 3 all did the same and more. My point was why with so many more advantages over GTAIV and Halo 3 MGS4 underperform. This is not a tragedy for MGS4, this is not a faiure, but it certainly isn't an encouraging sight. 

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

1.3 mil is a bad thing? Geez, what more do you people want? For Sony to cure Cancer before giving credit where credit is due?

Show me exactly where I used the word "bad". I never said this was bad, I just said it was underwhelming. Please read the whole post next time.

---------------

The point of my comments were to illustrate that MGS4 had all the means to not only meet the standard of GTAIV and Halo 3, but exceed them massively. Not a single one of you specifically adressed one of the points presented in my post. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, I know my words are a dark cloud on a sunny day, but if this is all you can offer in contest, then can you really blame me for responding as I have here? I'd prefer this not to degenerate into insults and attacks, so if you have any problems with my comments, please adress them specifically.

Like I said, MGS4 was not a failure, MGS4 was not a loss, but it certainly wasn't the victory we were all hoping it would be.