By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear spikes PS3 sales - good sign or bad?

this game isnt really that big compared too what most people believe... gta4 as ive said before will outsell metal gear solid no matter how good a game it is grand theft auto 4 is more well known

Respect for compans: SONY > NINTENDO >>>>>>>>>> MICROSOFT

Around the Network

People saying the sales are underwhelming....its been released 4 weeks after the BIGGEST game of them all (allegedly) in GTA4....some people would have bought that and will be waiting to buy this....watch the legs of this game

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Let's be honest.

MGS4 sales would be underwhelming to haters even if it sold five million week one. They would have found some reason why MGS4 sales weren't higher.

People will continue to marginalize sales for MGS4 and the PS3 so that they can sleep at night.

Onimusha12 said:
Reasonable said:

My friend you clearly don't know (or are ignoring) the definition of 'underwhelming'. I've never played MGS nor am I sure I'll get this one, but it's clearly not underwhelming in sales nor effect.

GTA would appear (according to NPD) to have delivered little to no spikes in either PS3 or 360 sales. MGS would appear to have driven a pretty big spike and has sold more than I would have anticipated by this point.

NG2 sales so far are 'underwhelming' for that title. The new Indy movie is a little 'underwhelming'. The coffee on my last flight was 'underwhelmning'...

MGS sales are pretty damn good and that's all there is to it.

GTA and NGS weren't bundled with a console in a bargain deal.

GTA and NGS weren't the mascot franchises of a console.

Considering all the advantages MGS4 had, considering everything that was working towards its advantage, the fact it didn't do better is the real surprise here. Did MGS4 do pretty damn good? Not really, if it took all these beneficiary factors just to make MGS4 do what it was in sales, you really can't say it did all that good.

To quote... "you really can't say it did all that good."  Yes I can.  And it did.  If you're going to complain about bundles that's just silly.  This is a business.  Companies make business decisions.  MGS4 is a niche, complex game that I doubt would ever appeal to a casually browsing gamer.  Just like Halo 3 on 360 it got promotional activity and as a far less popular franchise sold well (within the limits of its own franchise).

MGS4 is on a much more expensive console, with a relatively small install base particularly in the US and Japan, and its launch has seen sales as good as the other games in the franchise - that's called a good performance.  Anyone thinking that MGS was suddenly going to be as popular as GTA or Halo needs to rein in their imagination.

Anyone latching onto those unrealistic expectations and twisting them to try and spin the results as 'underwhelming' needs to get a life and stop being bitter about games consoles - yes that's you.  You can say what you like but it's pretty obvious to me as someone without any bias that that's what you are doing.  Are you even aware of it I wonder?

And that frankly, is the last injection of sanity I can be bothered making regarding a game I don't have from a franchise I've never played (well, apart from a bit of the PSP one I got as a present but haven't finished!).

If you think the results are poor then fine, gloat or whine or whatever but you should realize (as has been posted by many others) that you are convincing no-one who didn't already share your bias with your arguements and give the rest of us a rest from the bile.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Onimusha12 said:
Reasonable said:

My friend you clearly don't know (or are ignoring) the definition of 'underwhelming'. I've never played MGS nor am I sure I'll get this one, but it's clearly not underwhelming in sales nor effect.

GTA would appear (according to NPD) to have delivered little to no spikes in either PS3 or 360 sales. MGS would appear to have driven a pretty big spike and has sold more than I would have anticipated by this point.

NG2 sales so far are 'underwhelming' for that title. The new Indy movie is a little 'underwhelming'. The coffee on my last flight was 'underwhelmning'...

Considering all the advantages MGS4 had, considering everything that was working towards its advantage, the fact it didn't do better is the real surprise here. Did MGS4 do pretty damn good? Not really, if it took all these beneficiary factors just to make MGS4 do what it was in sales, you really can't say it did all that good.

To quote... "you really can't say it did all that good." Yes I can. And it did. If you're going to complain about bundles that's just silly. This is a business. Companies make business decisions. MGS4 is a niche, complex game that I doubt would ever appeal to a casually browsing gamer. Just like Halo 3 on 360 it got promotional activity and as a far less popular franchise sold well (within the limits of its own franchise).

MGS4 is on a much more expensive console, with a relatively small install base particularly in the US and Japan, and its launch has seen sales as good as the other games in the franchise - that's called a good performance. Anyone thinking that MGS was suddenly going to be as popular as GTA or Halo needs to rein in their imagination.

Anyone latching onto those unrealistic expectations and twisting them to try and spin the results as 'underwhelming' needs to get a life and stop being bitter about games consoles - yes that's you. You can say what you like but it's pretty obvious to me as someone without any bias that that's what you are doing. Are you even aware of it I wonder?

And that frankly, is the last injection of sanity I can be bothered making regarding a game I don't have from a franchise I've never played (well, apart from a bit of the PSP one I got as a present but haven't finished!).

If you think the results are poor then fine, gloat or whine or whatever but you should realize (as has been posted by many others) that you are convincing no-one who didn't already share your bias with your arguements and give the rest of us a rest from the bile.

Great Response. +1.

I find it funny that some Wii fanboys decided to upgrade their expectations at the last minute that it was supposed to sell like Halo or GTA. When in fact, most of them didn't expect it to sell half as well first week as previous installments of MGS.

I guess its one more hurdle in the way of their vision of every single game and franchise defecting to the Wii without exception and HD consoles dying.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Onimusha12 said:
Reasonable said:

To quote... "you really can't say it did all that good."  Yes I can.  And it did.  If you're going to complain about bundles that's just silly.  This is a business.  Companies make business decisions.  MGS4 is a niche, complex game that I doubt would ever appeal to a casually browsing gamer.  Just like Halo 3 on 360 it got promotional activity and as a far less popular franchise sold well (within the limits of its own franchise).

MGS4 is on a much more expensive console, with a relatively small install base particularly in the US and Japan, and its launch has seen sales as good as the other games in the franchise - that's called a good performance.  Anyone thinking that MGS was suddenly going to be as popular as GTA or Halo needs to rein in their imagination.

Anyone latching onto those unrealistic expectations and twisting them to try and spin the results as 'underwhelming' needs to get a life and stop being bitter about games consoles - yes that's you.  You can say what you like but it's pretty obvious to me as someone without any bias that that's what you are doing.  Are you even aware of it I wonder?

Really even with the 100 giftcard and the bundle. So how come GeOW out sold MGS4 in America with a smaller userbase? And it has sold 5million already which I doubt MGS4 will touch unless it is bundled like Motorstorm.

If Sony can put those 80 gigs out then they are going to stay up

PIMP said:
Reasonable said:
Onimusha12 said:
Reasonable said:

To quote... "you really can't say it did all that good." Yes I can. And it did. If you're going to complain about bundles that's just silly. This is a business. Companies make business decisions. MGS4 is a niche, complex game that I doubt would ever appeal to a casually browsing gamer. Just like Halo 3 on 360 it got promotional activity and as a far less popular franchise sold well (within the limits of its own franchise).

MGS4 is on a much more expensive console, with a relatively small install base particularly in the US and Japan, and its launch has seen sales as good as the other games in the franchise - that's called a good performance. Anyone thinking that MGS was suddenly going to be as popular as GTA or Halo needs to rein in their imagination.

Anyone latching onto those unrealistic expectations and twisting them to try and spin the results as 'underwhelming' needs to get a life and stop being bitter about games consoles - yes that's you. You can say what you like but it's pretty obvious to me as someone without any bias that that's what you are doing. Are you even aware of it I wonder?

Really even with the 100 giftcard and the bundle. So how come GeOW out sold MGS4 in America with a smaller userbase? And it has sold 5million already which I doubt MGS4 will touch unless it is bundled like Motorstorm.

GeOW = shoot 'em up game with strong online component - hence very popular and mainstream in America. 

MGS4 = story-intensive game with a specific fanbase. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

spikes are always good. Consistent spikes are even better.

PSN: OJ_juice

If anyone wants a custom sig, I'll make one for you. Just message me. I'm a pro.

Menago KF said:
@ Munkeh111
There can be no long term boost if the following requirements aren't met:

1) Sony dishes out more AAA games that people really want, thus creating a long term sales for the ps3

2)The 80GB sku is reinstated in the US for good. The OP showed us that these special edition bundles were more than 50% of overall US sales, which implies that it's much more in demand than the 40 GB sku.

3) Sony finally concedes to a price drop. 400$ is still a lot....although maybe not as much as it used to be, but still.

1) Sony started slower and later, so it's trying timing releases and other commercial moves precisely to maximize effect. The fact that a stealth game, not exactly the most popular of genres, is selling so well despite also the HW base smaller than the competitors' will help a lot Sony to obtain titles in the future. In this optics, whatever HW sales boost MGS4 will give will help even more.

2) NA users eagerly awaited it, I wonder if Sony has plans about Europe and 80GB versions with BC. Sony, although doing well here, is really underestimating the appeal BC would have in EU too.

3) A price drop now would do little more than MGS4 can, we're approaching summer, a dead season for items to be used indoor, but it will help a lot more to restart sales at full speed after summer, so I would expect it, if it's really imminent, then, not now, and carefully timed taking into account major titles releases.

On a sidenote: WiiFit has come back in "Others" top five, momentum for good games can last much longer than expected (well, I agree with Wii fans that predict a huge sales surge for WiiFit for Xmas too, but I guess that given the current average appeal, even once exhausted its momentum, MGS 4 will keep on selling to a respectable share of new PS3 buyers, as a "classic must have").

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!