By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear spikes PS3 sales - good sign or bad?

With the 80Gb reintroduced for good and in a great package with MGS4 the PS3 sales will settle down but to a higher level than before.

And about those 50K consoles of before ,well after NPD data it should be some 55K units weekly only for US plus the consoles sold in Canada.That could be some 62K units.If it has increased its sales X3 that would be some 180K units and not 120K.What is clear is that the combined EU+Japan+Europe sales will make the PS3 take another 150K out of the 360 advantage and keep the distance with the Wii.

In any case ,Sony should reduce the price and release once and for all the firwmware 2.40 and Home.That and the other exclusives coming should increase the sales big time.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@Griffin

well he's obviously been taking crash courses from Starcraft....lol

I'm sitting here wondering whether to be angry that you misrepresented my opinions or happy that you complementer my grammar...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It's now pretty clear that john lucas was right about the ps3 and mgs4.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will NOT go to PS3

PS3 won't make it out alive past 2009.

Sony will have massive layoffs and downsizings.

Sony may jettison its game division altogether.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=2094

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Where did people get the information that more bundles are on the way ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I can't see a massive bump in sales as anything but positive for Sony -- especially when it's centered around a game that most seem to agree is very good.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Lightning08 said:

Reading Onimusha12's post made me burst out laughing in the middle of my office. What a joke of a post...

Here's Konami's expectations:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/858/858436p1.html

In other Metal Gear Solid 4 news, Tanaka revealed to the site that Konami expects sales to be similar to past titles.

Based on Konami's expectations MGS4 is off to a fantastic start. Only Konami's opinion matters in the end, afterall.

I can't help but notice the massive amount of negative money in your account finances.

So Konami's opinion is the only one who matters. The fans, who needs them. Game sales, who cares. Game Reviewers, whatever. Konami is all that matters.

akuma587 said:
Its bad when a troll even gives trolls a bad name.

And again all akuma587 can contribute to the discussion is name calling. You certainly showed me.

ocnkng said:

MGS4 sells out of ALL the bundles. MGS4 sells a million copies in its FIRST day

whats wrong with you my man?? seriously....take care

GTAIV and Halo 3 all did the same and more. My point was why with so many more advantages over GTAIV and Halo 3 MGS4 underperform. This is not a tragedy for MGS4, this is not a faiure, but it certainly isn't an encouraging sight.

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

1.3 mil is a bad thing? Geez, what more do you people want? For Sony to cure Cancer before giving credit where credit is due?

Show me exactly where I used the word "bad". I never said this was bad, I just said it was underwhelming. Please read the whole post next time.

---------------

The point of my comments were to illustrate that MGS4 had all the means to not only meet the standard of GTAIV and Halo 3, but exceed them massively. Not a single one of you specifically adressed one of the points presented in my post. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, I know my words are a dark cloud on a sunny day, but if this is all you can offer in contest, then can you really blame me for responding as I have here? I'd prefer this not to degenerate into insults and attacks, so if you have any problems with my comments, please adress them specifically.

Like I said, MGS4 was not a failure, MGS4 was not a loss, but it certainly wasn't the victory we were all hoping it would be.

My friend you clearly don't know (or are ignoring) the definition of 'underwhelming'.  I've never played MGS nor am I sure I'll get this one, but it's clearly not underwhelming in sales nor effect.

GTA would appear (according to NPD) to have delivered little to no spikes in either PS3 or 360 sales.  MGS would appear to have driven a pretty big spike and has sold more than I would have anticipated by this point.

NG2 sales so far are 'underwhelming' for that title.  The new Indy movie is a little 'underwhelming'.  The coffee on my last flight was 'underwhelmning'...

MGS sales are pretty damn good and that's all there is to it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ameratsu said:

It's now pretty clear that john lucas was right about the ps3 and mgs4.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will NOT go to PS3

PS3 won't make it out alive past 2009.

Sony will have massive layoffs and downsizings.

Sony may jettison its game division altogether.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=2094

Ahh... good times.

JL couldn't be more incorrect 

I guess we should expect more bull-shit like this in the coming hours.

The data will be coming in soon, and I can't wait to read all of the "ZOMG the Profitz," and "Drop-off will be huge!!1" and all that stuff.

People who have the game, go and play it. People who don't find something else to do. Lots of people will be trying to find ways to hate on this game tonight, and the next two days as the data rolls in. It's a damn shame too.

Snake612 said:
a good sign of ps3 and the beginning of domination.

WOW. LOL. I guess Sony Selective Memory Syndrome has gotten another victim. SONY fanboys have been spewing this same shit since PS3 was released and they are still 3rd.

Reasonable said:

My friend you clearly don't know (or are ignoring) the definition of 'underwhelming'.  I've never played MGS nor am I sure I'll get this one, but it's clearly not underwhelming in sales nor effect.

GTA would appear (according to NPD) to have delivered little to no spikes in either PS3 or 360 sales.  MGS would appear to have driven a pretty big spike and has sold more than I would have anticipated by this point.

NG2 sales so far are 'underwhelming' for that title.  The new Indy movie is a little 'underwhelming'.  The coffee on my last flight was 'underwhelmning'...

MGS sales are pretty damn good and that's all there is to it.

GTA and NGS weren't bundled with a console in a bargain deal.

GTA and NGS weren't the mascot franchises of a console.

Considering all the advantages MGS4 had, considering everything that was working towards its advantage, the fact it didn't do better is the real surprise here. Did MGS4 do pretty damn good? Not really, if it took all these beneficiary factors just to make MGS4 do what it was in sales, you really can't say it did all that good.