By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How in the world does MGS only get an 8?

starcraft said:

I already have an alternate, its Starcraft1.

What game I am playing matters in that it directly disproves your theory that I am somewhat hung up on review scores.  

I did not say that good games get low scores.  Possibly my favourite game of all time is Fable, and it got 85.  Clearly I do not require a game to be 90% or above to play it.

Are you referring to the edit where you somewhat arrogantly tried to avoid the entire argument by claiming you are owed an apology? 

I'm glad you knew what I was talking about with saying something so vague... hm....

Uh... look at you sig. It's dedicated to review scores... surely anyone would get that impression anytime they see a post of yours.

No where in this thread did I state that.

Yeah that's the one. You assumed and accused me from the get go then admit you don't even know what I'm referring to. I think an apology is in order. There is no avoidment here just your wrongful accusations that you admit to.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
starcraft said:

I already have an alternate, its Starcraft1.

What game I am playing matters in that it directly disproves your theory that I am somewhat hung up on review scores.

I did not say that good games get low scores. Possibly my favourite game of all time is Fable, and it got 85. Clearly I do not require a game to be 90% or above to play it.

Are you referring to the edit where you somewhat arrogantly tried to avoid the entire argument by claiming you are owed an apology?

I'm glad you knew what I was talking about with saying something so vague... hm....

Uh... look at you sig. It's dedicated to review scores... surely anyone would get that impression anytime they see a post of yours.

No where in this thread did I state that.

Yeah that's the one. You assumed and accused me from the get go then admit you don't even know what I'm referring to. I think an apology is in order. There is no avoidment here just your wrongful accusations that you admit to.

There are three things in my signature.  Only one of them is the review score statistics. 

You are repeatedely trying to say I accused you of saying something negative but I am unsure what you were referring too, as though hoping saying it enough times will make it so.  I presume what you are referring to is this line:

"The direct implication is that I consider eight to be a low score, and that I use such a score to fuel my 'arguments.'  What you consider these arguments to be is as yet unclear, but it appears to be yet another implication that I consider sub 90% scoring games to be of poor quality."  Clearly I make a distinction here between what I know you are saying, and the reasons behind it.

Mann already listed possible reasons behind your inspiration to bring my into this thread.  But regardless of whether it was defensiveness over my signature, an unnatural infatuation, or simply a desire to be rude, it was inappropriate and shouldn't be repeated.

As for the first line, what I was referring to was glaringly obvious (to me), so I now assume we are talking about different things.  If its relevant, please enlighten me as to what you mean.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:

There are three things in my signature.  Only one of them is the review score statistics. 

You are repeatedely trying to say I accused you of saying something negative but I am unsure what you were referring too, as though hoping saying it enough times will make it so.  I presume what you are referring to is this line:

"The direct implication is that I consider eight to be a low score, and that I use such a score to fuel my 'arguments.'  What you consider these arguments to be is as yet unclear, but it appears to be yet another implication that I consider sub 90% scoring games to be of poor quality."  Clearly I make a distinction here between what I know you are saying, and the reasons behind it.

Mann already listed possible reasons behind your inspiration to bring my into this thread.  But regardless of whether it was defensiveness over my signature, an unnatural infatuation, or simply a desire to be rude, it was inappropriate and shouldn't be repeated.

As for the first line, what I was referring to was glaringly obvious (to me), so I now assume we are talking about different things.  If its relevant, please enlighten me as to what you mean.

What you consider these arguments to be is as yet unclear

That's what I'm talking about. you are saying what I was talking about was unclear... but you sure the hell were fast to start acting like you knew what I was talking about.

And yet you and mann can't comprehend the simple explanation of... you are a prime example... no it's got to be something deeper, more meaningful... I HAVE A MAN CRUSH! /rolls eyes.

The area of which your review statistics take up your sig is 4 out of 6 lines. (67%) The majority of your sig is dedicated to review scores.

You're done. This all started because you assumed I said anything lower than a 90% is bad... here let me quote your original post.

PooperScooper said:

Baddman - Really I don't give a shit if it gets Lair type scores, but it's people like starcraft who emphasize on game scores (look at his sig) that make people so defensive when good games get low scores because it fuels his arguments. People's only defense to rebut his claims are to gain some high review score...

Didn't we establish that your regular misrepresentation of my opinions now required you to present quotes and links for all your claims?

I don't consider 8 to be a low score in any way, shape or form.  The best game I've played lately was Lost Odyssey, and its sitting at 78 on Metacritic.

If you cannot properly grasp my opinion on a particular issue, please refrain from referring to me in future debates. 

And no where in the box (what you quoted of me) said anything about me thinking you think 8 is a low score. If you would refer to what I was refering to you would see it didn't even have anything to do with the 8 the OP was talking about but REVIEWS IN GENERAL!

here let me quote the person I was refering to.

why do you care what someone else rated the game seriously? you guys are ridiculous about these game scores

As you can see it has no mention of 8's.

Please next time you want to comment on something check the references.

PooperScooper said:

What you consider these arguments to be is as yet unclear

That's what I'm talking about. you are saying what I was talking about was unclear... but you sure the hell were fast to start acting like you knew what I was talking about. I was and am still quite clear on the fact that you directly implied I was overly emphasizing review scores, with no evidence, and what has been proven to be a massive amount of incorrect speculation.  What I was unclear on is why you did such a childish thing.

And yet you and mann can't comprehend the simple explanation of... you are a prime example... no it's got to be something deeper, more meaningful... I HAVE A MAN CRUSH! /rolls eyes.  But I am not a prime example.  We know you are fully aware of this because of the NG2 thread, which means there was another reason.

The area of which your review statistics take up your sig is 4 out of 6 lines. (67%) The majority of your sig is dedicated to review scores. It is one of three pieces of content in my signature.  Statistics that do not in any way imply an opinion often take up a substantial amount of space.

You're done. This all started because you assumed I said anything lower than a 90% is bad... here let me quote your original post. Yes, I believe my point has been well proven and I am in fact, done.

PooperScooper said:

Baddman - Really I don't give a shit if it gets Lair type scores, but it's people like starcraft who emphasize on game scores (look at his sig) that make people so defensive when good games get low scores because it fuels his arguments. People's only defense to rebut his claims are to gain some high review score...

Didn't we establish that your regular misrepresentation of my opinions now required you to present quotes and links for all your claims?

I don't consider 8 to be a low score in any way, shape or form. The best game I've played lately was Lost Odyssey, and its sitting at 78 on Metacritic.

If you cannot properly grasp my opinion on a particular issue, please refrain from referring to me in future debates.

And no where in the box (what you quoted of me) said anything about me thinking you think 8 is a low score. If you would refer to what I was refering to you would see it didn't even have anything to do with the 8 the OP was talking about but REVIEWS IN GENERAL!  You posted this in a thread about a score of 8.  A score the person you were supposedely referring to was DEFINITELY referring to.  Even if you were being truthful on this point, you would still have fundamentally failed to show where I have overly emphasized review scores to the point that they effect other people's behaviour, letalone justify why my name had to be brought into the thread.

here let me quote the person I was refering to.

why do you care what someone else rated the game seriously? you guys are ridiculous about these game scores

As you can see it has no mention of 8's.  As above.

Please next time you want to comment on something check the references.  No need, your intentions were fully understood.  The reasons behind those intentions were unclear, and I asked for a response to them.  You are yet to provide that direct response.

Starcraft, just STFU. I think most people will side with Pooper on this. You're just here to provoke. Back on topic, Starcraft have you played MGS4? All the way through. No, well you're not qualified to argue about a review of the game.

Around the Network

Well it's not like you people didn't bring him up before he even came to this thread.

It is amusing how he seems to be the personal nemesis of all the Sony fanboys though. Didn't think that was possible.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

TheRealMafoo said:

Ok, I am only in Act 3 (probably close to the end of it), and unless this game goes the way of Bioshock (crappy ending), how can this game only get an 8? So far, everyone seems to like the ending.

I can not see how anyone could think this game is that bad. For me, so far, it's one of, if not the, best game I have ever played.

Oh, and this is for the people who have actually played the game, and please no spoilers (like if in Act 4 something goes terribly wrong, don't give it away please, just say Act 4 sucks).

I know when games get a 10 and it's due to hype, people bitch. This game got a few 8's, and it's due to hype. I am here to start the bitch session about them. 

its the best game ive ever played for me also. i dont give a damn about the reviews, thier plans to halt mgs4 and ps3 will fail miserably.

eurogamer(eurotoilet) gave mgs4 an 8/10, when in comparison the same biased site gave Ms. pacman on 360 an 8/10 and they gave earth defence force 2049 on 360 a 9/10.

theres nothing on any other console that can match this, if there is can they post a video?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Lord_Sothoth said:
Starcraft, just STFU. I think most people will side with Pooper on this. You're just here to provoke. Back on topic, Starcraft have you played MGS4? All the way through. No, well you're not qualified to argue about a review of the game.

Side with Pooper? Are you implying that I in some way attacked the PS3?

"Most people" in here were either smart enough not to jump on Pooper's bandwagon due to his having no justification for attacking me in a thread I wasn't in or called him on just how desperate and pathetic it was.

As for the topic, it was about how a game that is generally held to be between good and great getting an eight, constituting the good rather than a ten constituting the great. If you head back to my first contribution to the thread, you'll find it perfectly on-topic and relevant.  Not even the OP had played it all the way through.  By your standard, he is not qualified to argue about the contents of this thread.

For non huge mgs fans this game might actually be an 8 and reviewers can't just grade games after what MGS fans think it should get, beacuse if they do they might aswell give every Zelda/Mario/Halo/FF etc etc game a ten beacuse that what those fans say it should get.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I have read most of the replies after waking up (skimming over the argument with SC and Pooper).

I guess I have a different opinion of what reviews are for, so I take more issue with them being low when they should not be.

I do not think a review should be to tell you how a game generally plays based on the kind of game I like. The reviewer should take into consideration the audience the game is being made for, and then guess at how well they would like the game (if they are not in that audience).

If I review a children's math game, and it easy because I quickly know all the math in it, I don't say it's crap, or doc it for its difficulty.

I mean, do you think the creator of MGS4 thought to himself "We need to figure out how to appeal to the casual Wii fan when we create this game"? No, why should you give it a review score that's lower because it doesn't.