By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How in the world does MGS only get an 8?

greenmedic88 said:
PooperScooper said:
^ so if one of the flaws is the reviewer doesnt like the series and never has... that is a reasonable excuse to lower the score? (Ex: Eurogamer)

At that point, the reader should probably stop reading the review since the reviewer is openly admiting they don't like the series due a fundamental issue with the series' game play, the overall story/game world, etc. 

It's not a reasonable excuse to start with a lower score as that indicates a negative bias before even starting the game. At least it's not reasonable for a legit review. 

That's exactly what the OP is pointing out. Reviews will be biased... but reviews would be biased for his solution too.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
starcraft said:

Where in that quote did it remotely imply that anything less than 90% is not a "good" score and is in fact a "low" score?

where in my quote did I imply that? my quote implied you emphasis on game score... and every time you post something low and behold game score post with it... if thats not emphasizing something i dont know what is

Your original quote, which directed people to my signature, made the direct implication that I would consider 8 to be a low score.  This is not the case at all.

The question must also be asked why you felt the need to bring my name into it?

So I'll say again.  Unless you can grasp my opinions on a specific issue (and through this example, I think we can safely assume you are largely incapable of doing so in a logical and honest manner), refrain from referring to me in your various debates. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
PooperScooper said:
starcraft said:

Where in that quote did it remotely imply that anything less than 90% is not a "good" score and is in fact a "low" score?

where in my quote did I imply that? my quote implied you emphasis on game score... and every time you post something low and behold game score post with it... if thats not emphasizing something i dont know what is

Your original quote, which directed people to my signature, made the direct implication that I would consider 8 to be a low score.  This is not the case at all.

The question must also be asked why you felt the need to bring my name into it?

So I'll say again.  Unless you can grasp my opinions on a specific issue (and through this example, I think we can safely assume you are largely incapable of doing so in a logical and honest manner), refrain from referring to me in your various debates. 

I think you need to re-read what you quoted. I specifically said you emphisize on game scores... and your sig proves my point.

No where did I mention you said anything less than a 90 is a bad game... You are the one putting words in my mouth and cant grasp my opinion.

Blacksaber said:
....I have yet to find a game that has been worse or better from reviewer scores. Not sure how it happens to you.

They have no effect on the games themselves obviously, but I know you're just being facetious.

If game reviewiers were actually geared towards improving games rather than just playing them and commenting on them, they'd step up to being game developers instead.

What reviewer scores can do, as was the original intent of journalistic reviews, rather than just to put in one's two cents, is help consumers decide to either buy or take a pass at a particular game based upon merits and flaws.

Part of the problem these days is that with online publishing, everyone, even those without any sort of established credentials can write and publish their two cents as a legitimate review, not that I'm referring to any of the established media sources. 

We get a lot of these types of reviews on user sites like VGC, even coming from individuals who haven't even played, much less finished the game in question.  

Rating systems are flawed since there is no real standard. We just know a 10/10 is either supposed to be perfect (no such thing as perfect; one can find flaw with anything) or at least the current best of breed, a 100% or an A+ rating means best possible score.

Unfortunately with the game ratings system, as it's been pointed out, most don't use the first 5 points on a scale of 1 to 10 unless a game is so awful that it really doesn't even merit a review other than to say "avoid this game at the risk of throwing away your money on something unplayable."

PooperScooper said:

I think you need to re-read what you quoted. I specifically said you emphisize on game scores... and your sig proves my point.

My signature lists the top tier games on Metacritic.  It doesn't express an opinion either way.

You directly implied I would consider 8 to be a "low" score.  I don't think there is anything in my signature that "emphasizes" that opinion, do you? 

As I said, you are clearly unable to grasp what my opinion on this issue is, and you should accordingly refrain from referring to me in threads unless in direct response to me or in cases where you have provided full, properly contextualized quotes. 

Around the Network
starcraft said:
PooperScooper said:

My signature lists the top tier games on Metacritic.  It doesn't express an opinion either way.

You directly implied I would consider 8 to be a "low" score.  I don't think there is anything in my signature that "emphasizes" that opinion, do you? 

As I said, you are clearly unable to grasp what my opinion on this issue is, and you should accordingly refrain from referring to me in threads unless in direct response to me or in cases where you have provided full, properly contextualized quotes. 

yes me saying "starcraft emphisizes on game scores" is actually me saying "starcraft says any game that doesn't score 90% or higher is a shitty game"

honestly i dont see how you can translate what I said into what you are saying I said... but you are the fucking king of spinning things to mean what you want them to... arent you.

PooperScooper said:
The Mann said:
PooperScooper said:

AAA (90%+) games per console (metacritic):

Wii:5

Xbox 360: 12

PS3: 5

There you go. I just gave you the quote you asked for.

Since his signature gets you all tingly and defensive how about you make a signature for yourself:

AAA (Games i Like) games per console (im a critic):

Wii:

Xbox 360:

PS3:

doesn't get me defensive at all... what the fuck are you smoking? because someone asks me to quote them when they emphisize on gamescores and i do that makes defensive?

get your shit straight pal.

You decided to bring him up in a thread that he did'nt even post in up to that point, either you have a wierd infatuation with him or your just defensive towards his signature.

08' Year End Predictions

Wii: 46 Million
Xbox 360:
26 Million

PS3: 22 Million

Sale Predictions:

Gears Of War 2 - 7 Million
Fable 2 - 3 Million
Left 4 Dead - 1.5 Million
Infinite Undiscovery - 700k
Tales Of Vesperia - 550k
The Last Remnant - 700k
Ninja Gaiden - 800k LTD [?] On its way.
Banjo-Kazooie N&B - 2 Million
Lost Odyssey - 500k LTD [X] surpassed
Too Human - 1.4 Million

The Mann said:
PooperScooper said:

doesn't get me defensive at all... what the fuck are you smoking? because someone asks me to quote them when they emphisize on gamescores and i do that makes defensive?

get your shit straight pal.

You decided to bring him up in a thread that he did'nt even post in up to that point, either you have a wierd infatuation with him or your just defensive towards his signature.

Becuase... he is the prime example of someone who emphasizes on game scores... if you don't see the relation between that your duller than I thought.

PooperScooper said:

yes me saying "starcraft emphisizes on game scores" is actually me saying "starcraft says any game that doesn't score 90% or higher is a shitty game"

honestly i dont see how you can translate what I said into what you are saying I said... but you are the fucking king of spinning things to mean what you want them to... arent you.

No need for drama or foul language Pooper.  This thread is about a score of eight.  You implied that I would consider that a "low" score. 

Do you have anything to substantiate the claim that I emphasize game scores?  As I said (and you ignored), the best game I've played lately is sitting pretty at 78 on Metacritic.  Clearly you felt so strongly that I am the best example of score emphasis that you could have used, so do you have anything that distinguishes the need to name me other than simple saying review scores of 'eight' provide ammunition to "people" that emphasize review scores?

Perhaps a more prudent example you could have chosen would have been the person who started between 5 and 8 threads based entirely around SEPERATE reviews for MGS4?

starcraft said:
PooperScooper said:

No need for drama or foul language Pooper.  This thread is about a score of eight.  You implied that I would consider that a "low" score. 

Do you have anything to substantiate the claim that I emphasize game scores?  As I said (and you ignored), the best game I've played lately is sitting pretty at 78 on Metacritic.  Clearly you felt so strongly that I am the best example of score emphasis that you could have used, so do you have anything that distinguishes the need to name me other than simple saying review scores of 'eight' provide ammunition to "people" that emphasize review scores?

Perhaps a more prudent example you could have chosen would have been the person who started between 5 and 8 threads based entirely around SEPERATE reviews for MGS4?

Yeah spartan would have been another prime example on someone who emphisizes on game scores... but honestly you habe 5,222 posts. Each time you post your sig shows up... I hardly doubt spartan has made that many threads.

Also how many times do I have to say I implied that you emphisize on game score and did not imply an 8 is a bad score... please quote me when I said you think an 8 is a bad score.