By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - gameplayer.com:"gamers should be eternally grateful that MGS4 exist"

Impulsivity said:
Its not a derivitive rehash of games I've been playing since I was 4 like all the Wii games. Mario galaxy is barely different then Super Mario Bros on the Nintendo other then graphics, ditto for twilight princess (down to the dungeon design) compared to the original legend of zelda.

To be fair though I would say Bioshock and Mass Effect are similarly powerful and cinematic (and of course also on PC like all the good 360 games). Even still MGS4 is leaps and bounds above either in terms of sheer quality and polish. Its the kind of game that makes it worth owning an HD console and shows the severe limitations of the Wii in terms of developing cinematic experiences on par with the PS3.

Yeah man, Mario Galaxy is no different than Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Ah, I fondly remember the days of picking up and shooting Star Bits with my NES-Mote while Mario tackled gravity puzzles in World 3-2 and jumped from planet to 8-bit planet solving puzzles. Nintendo hasn't changed their design one bit since that game, and I'm sick and tired of it too.

So, in short: Preach on, brotha'. Preach on.

(Alternate post)  Yeah, Mario hasn't changed its design one bit since the NES days. Now, Kojima-san, there's a guy who innovates! *plays sequel to a sequel to a sequel where the gameplay hasn't changed since 1998* 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

@Garcia Smith

This thread is for PS3 owners who have a copy of game,,it's here for them to read and enjouy,,not for someone who openly admits bias against PS3.

Stop trolling,,,I know it's upsetting to you but this thread is ment for other people

Garcian Smith said:
Impulsivity said:
Its not a derivitive rehash of games I've been playing since I was 4 like all the Wii games. Mario galaxy is barely different then Super Mario Bros on the Nintendo other then graphics, ditto for twilight princess (down to the dungeon design) compared to the original legend of zelda.

To be fair though I would say Bioshock and Mass Effect are similarly powerful and cinematic (and of course also on PC like all the good 360 games). Even still MGS4 is leaps and bounds above either in terms of sheer quality and polish. Its the kind of game that makes it worth owning an HD console and shows the severe limitations of the Wii in terms of developing cinematic experiences on par with the PS3.

Yeah man, Mario Galaxy is no different than Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Ah, I fondly remember the days of picking up and shooting Star Bits with my NES-Mote while Mario tackled gravity puzzles in World 3-2 and jumped from planet to 8-bit planet solving puzzles. Nintendo hasn't changed their design one bit since that game, and I'm sick and tired of it too.

Yah....star bits and going from planet to planet for basic platforming in 3D with many of the same enemies Mario was fighting in 1985 makes it totally new and original...  Derivative does NOT mean identical, there are small gimics like this time star bits and last time that god awful water cannon, but there is no substantial material difference between galaxy and Mario 64.  The only real difference between Mario 64 was the advent of worlds you can do in any order, hidden stars and of course 3d (all of which are almost identical in galaxy).  Galaxy is drasticly original compared with the exact copying of Mario Kart Wii which has not changed at all other then graphics since the SNES and Smash Bros Melee which is identical except for a god awful single player to the N64 game.  Once a generation a new idea like Metroid Prime comes around (which is again pretty similar to NES metroid but 3D), but thats the exception not the rule.  I know some people like rehashes and kid games, I know I did when I was 6-12, but making yet another nearly identical mario game to cash in doesn't move anything forward.  

MGS4 like GTA4 is amazingly high in production values, freedom to choose your path and course of action and immersion.  You actually have characters with interesting stories and real character unlike the pretty one dimensional Nintendo characters that barely talk and never change.   Its like making There Will be Blood or No Country for Old Men vs making another pokemon movie or a new power rangers TV show.  Of course judging from your wii fanboyism I bet you'd prefer the latter 2 and wouldn't even understand the former 2.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

SpartanFX said:
@Garcia Smith

This thread is for PS3 owners who have a copy of game,,it's here for them to read and enjouy,,not for someone who openly admits bias against PS3.

Stop trolling,,,I know it's upsetting to you but this thread is ment for other people

Ah, I just thought I'd have a little fun with the tenth or so redundant MGS4 thread to come around in the past few days. =P

(Though, regardless of your biases, you do have to admit that Impulsivity was asking for it.)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

yeah, keep it in one thread, as it's only one game.

LOL. =)))
It`s only ONE game that is Game of the Century! =P

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

LOL. =)))

I would go with decade, I mean there will be GTA5 and almost certainly another Kojima series either metal gear based or something new.  If you think MGS4 is great imagine the one they will make in 2015!

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:
Garcian Smith said:
Impulsivity said:

Yah....star bits and going from planet to planet for basic platforming in 3D with many of the same enemies Mario was fighting in 1985 makes it totally new and original... Derivative does NOT mean identical, there are small gimics like this time star bits and last time that god awful water cannon, but there is no substantial material difference between galaxy and Mario 64. The only real difference between Mario 64 was the advent of worlds you can do in any order, hidden stars and of course 3d (all of which are almost identical in galaxy). Galaxy is drasticly original compared with the exact copying of Mario Kart Wii which has not changed at all other then graphics since the SNES and Smash Bros Melee which is identical except for a god awful single player to the N64 game. Once a generation a new idea like Metroid Prime comes around (which is again pretty similar to NES metroid but 3D), but thats the exception not the rule. I know some people like rehashes and kid games, I know I did when I was 6-12, but making yet another nearly identical mario game to cash in doesn't move anything forward.

MGS4 like GTA4 is amazingly high in production values, freedom to choose your path and course of action and immersion. You actually have characters with interesting stories and real character unlike the pretty one dimensional Nintendo characters that barely talk and never change. Its like making There Will be Blood or No Country for Old Men vs making another pokemon movie or a new power rangers TV show. Of course judging from your wii fanboyism I bet you'd prefer the latter 2 and wouldn't even understand the former 2.

How old are you?

-Sean Malstrom

CrazzyMan said:

LOL. =)))
And like 50th on Gamerankings all time charts and falling fast.............

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:

LOL. =)))

Unfortunately, you can`t trust ALL reviewers today, they are BIASED. You will UNDERSTAND that, when you will play MGS4, or you will never play it? =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:

LOL. =)))

Unfortunately, you can`t trust ALL reviewers today, they are BIASED. You will UNDERSTAND that, when you will play MGS4, or you will never play it? =))

Lol. But that would mean they are biased on other games.  Even this generation there are tonnes of games with scores higher than MGS4.

I probably wont play it, even after I get a PS3.  I hate stealth.

Though Darth said you can play most of the game in an action manner, so im actually starting to look at it now

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS