By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RPG fans - who amongst you has bought a PS3 prehemptively?

I bought my PS3 because I figured I would get to play a bunch of JRPGs, but that wasn't the only reason I got the system. Gran Turismo, MGS, and Team Ico games are a huge draw for me, so while I'm disappointed, I'm hardly ready to abandon ship especially with FFXIII and Versus XIII guaranteed to arrive at some point.

Plus, I have a PSP, so I can't really complain about a RPG drought until I actually pick up and play Crisis Core and Suikoden II

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@shameless

cancelling 2 projects of which 1 was a sequel to a very mediocre game is hardly much.

Killzone 2 wasn't cancelled just delayed!

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist you left yourself open for that one. ;) 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@shameless

cancelling 2 projects of which 1 was a sequel to a very mediocre game is hardly much.

Killzone 2 wasn't cancelled just delayed!

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist you left yourself open for that one. ;) 

It was never really delayed, just announced for Feb 2009. The Getaway 3 was the sequel

I bought a PS3 because of my back catalogue and FFXIII. I play other RPGs in anticipation for the next FF. It  seems like this time around, I'll be playing FPS's in anticipation for the next FF

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Yes, I partially did. And I am dissapointed that Microsoft is buying so many JRPG's (they are destroying the genre imo). But, many great games are still coming (FF (VS) XIII, MGS 4, GoW3, ...) so I can't say the 360 is more attractive to me. I will buy the few RPG's on the PS3 (VotB, Disgaea 3, ...) and I have a Wii now which hopefully get more JRPG's as well!

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
I am really hyped about MGS4 (very soon) and FF 13 (ways off) as they are probably my main two games this gen. But, I am glad I got the 360 for all the other jRPGs.

My stance still stands on the Wii, which I'm in absolutely no rush to buy again.

Agreed with this person. Bought a PS3 for MGS4 and the FFXIII titles, as well as Team Ico projects and God of War III. In addition, I also bought it for BC, so I can enjoy my PSone and PS2 titles, and Persona 4 soon ;). I am satisfied with my PS3. Use it everyday and found a few games that I really enjoyed and looking forward to like Valkyria Chronicles and Resistance 2. I will be buying a 360 to enjoy JRPGs, as well as Ninja Gaiden 2 and Gears of War 2. As for Wii, I have no interest in buying it until KH3 is released.

Do people hate JRPGs?

Riachu said:
Do people hate JRPGs?

No, offcourse not, but the people who like JRPG's had a PS2 console in last generation and now they see (Including me) slip away almost every known franchise or new multiplatform JRPG towards the 360....

I bought a PS3 2 - 3 months after it came out and it was mainly for MGS4, GT, FFXIII, FFvsXIII and Killzone2. I really like JRPG's yes but so far i have not seen any this gen that are particularly amazing apart from maybe Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata (mainly for the art style) (if this seems like a weird statement its because i don't own a X360 and don't follow the games it has at all unless they slap me in the face cause of the hype).

I do not regret my decision at all because I personally found that Heavenly Sword was spectacular and just need a little tightening up in some areas and it needed to be longer, Resistance kept me busy for about 3 months with the online alone, Warhawk is absolutely brilliant when I have people round.

I am very patiently waiting for Eternal Sonata (and if this doesn't make it to the UK then i will have to import it) and White Knight Story which was supposed to be finished about 6 months ago... and MGS4 in less than 2 days so i can't complain oh and how can I forget the amount of fun LittleBigPlanet is going to make.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Yes I bought the PS3 thinking that it would have the majority of jrpgs on it but it wasn't the only reason. I bought the the 60GB before it was taken off the market for the previous reason and for BC. I don't regret buying the PS3 due to the fact that quality jrpgs are stil coming out for it. However since the Xbox 360 has garnered a lot of jrpgs I will probably be picking up a used one.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)