By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ars Techina re-reviews the PS3...

Machina-AX said:
What's wrong with the PS3's online play that puts it on the bad list? Online play for all the games I own has been surpisingly good (lag free, easy to use, reliable service etc. and all with a standard wireless connection). Unless they mean online service? i.e the way that PSN content doesn't match up to Xbox Live content (in terms of demos, add-on content etc.), in which case I agree with them.

But as far as online play is concerned I have seen no discernable difference between the 2 in the brief period I have had my 360.

Sure, it doesn't have the same level of integration that the 360 has (the addictive gamerscore, in-game dashboard and higher level of user interaction), but the PS3 service is free. Given the option, I would choose to have a more limited Xbox Live service (i.e one without those perks) for free.

I agree with regard to online play the PS3 can provide a super solid experience, even for launch games such as Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man. I think that's probably the most crucial core piece of online functionality provided by a games console and best of all it's even free.

With regard to content, of course the 360 has had a 1 year headstart to build up a library of online distributed games and other content. But IMO nothing comes close on XBox Live compared to games like Warhawk, GT5: Prologue and Super Stardust HD (IMO ignore Gamespot's 7 rating, it's absolutely an awesome super impressive game and also if the game was priced multiple as much a must have title for me). So quality over quantity could IMO be an argument part of any valid rebutal.

Firmware update 2.4 may well put the PS3 on par with regard to what the 360 currently provides, the few minor features it still lags behind. In other regards it's however better and with Playstation Home it looks like the PS3 will go far beyond the social aspect provided by XBox Live.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

oh wow an in game xmb , thatll be awesome

zomg

Ps3 is now AAA

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
zomg

Ps3 is now AAA

For the current timing I think it's a solid A, but I think if you would compare 2 years from now what we currently have one could just well rate the PS3 a C-. Everything in due time....

Major firmware improvements, Playstation Home, more efficient slimline version, games which will technically knock out today's top console games (much more growth in this regard than rival systems), etc. I would like to see a version with PlayTV/DVR capabilities integrated someday, when the Playstation 3 launched this was main hardware criticism (/request) with regard to specifications.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:

Kyros? Don't you mean Starcraft?

Starcraft was commenting on what the author of the original article said, and the author never said anything like "best games of the generation." That's my point. The ps3 has quite a few good exclusives, and that number will only continue to grow. That's all the author was trying to say.

And I notice Starcraft ignored my post. :|

@pearljammer: I agree completely. :)

Sorry makingmusic, I missed it.

At the end of the day, if the PS3's current exclusives allow it to garner a 9 for games in this reviewers eyes, he clearly isn't holding out much hope for the consoles future exclusives quality.

Thats why that line is the most questionable part of the review (to me). I don't think he was trying to imply it would continue to grow. If he were making assumptions about the future, he would have included XMB. (actually, he did include the assumption Home would be good, thereby inflating the score).

@ Pearljammer.

If you have any reasonable argument why AAA should be condsidered something other than the 90% cut-off, I'm listening.

Uhm, your're asking why AAA should be considered something other than an arbitrary number? Well, personally I would go by the general user consensus. However unreliable it is, I think it is much better than an arbitrary number.

But if you'd like to go your route, I'd say anything above 87.2. That's a much better number than 90

Around the Network

ps3 does have some good exclusives, and will only get better, tsk some keep writing off the ps3 as if its doomed

best to wait after 2008 xmas period and see the numbers then

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...