By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 Surpass Xbox360?

@ jimmay

Several key titles on that list are not Ps3 exclusives and are not reasons to buy a Ps3 in themselves. Re5, GTA 4, etc. are going to help the 360 as much as the Ps3.

And for the Wii, something like Wii fit will probably stay near the top of the charts for quite some time. Some of the most elementary games are the biggest reasons that many people have bought a Wii. They may not appeal to you, but it would be foolish to discount the longterm impact a title like Wii Play has had on sales for Nintendo.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network

Its possible that the 80gb ps3 may be sold without motorstorm this holiday season. Motorstorm price drops to $39.99 and the bundled 80gig sold for $529.99 and without the game for $499.99 makes since I think.

mM

The holiday season is one of the few times were price is slightly less important. A lot of people either save or are at least able to mentally justify large purchases because of the holidays. Tax return time is another period where this happens. We moved a lot of Ps3 when people got their rebate checks.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

PS3 overtakes X360 sometime next year....when i have no idea just sometime next year.The price of the 80GB is obviously going to drop to $499 when the 60GB sells out in NA.There will be another pricecut on the PS3 next year to $399 probably during March when Sony has always dropped the price of the PS's.MGS4,GT5 and possibly FFXIII will boost sales alot for the PS3 and by next Christmas it will look alot more appealing then the X360 even if the X360 was at $200(elite).Yes the X360 has good games too and MS hasnt announced much for next year but nor has Sony really whats TeamICO,Insomniac,TeamNinja,JapanStudio,Eat Sleep and Play what are those studios doing for next year.TeamICO might be working on ICO2,TeamNinja on Heavenly Sword2, Insomniac on Resistance2,Eat Sleep and Play on GOW3 and at least 2/4 of those games will be millionsellers my money is on Resistance2 and GOW3 but they are obvious the other 2 depends if they are actually being worked on.
Fable2 for X360 will sell 1million at least.Banjo Kazooie3 will probably sell 1million.Alan Wake might.Halo Wars i think will have bad reviews and reck the Halo series in one move but will sell 1million because its Halo(whats the big deal with this game).Too Human looks promising but others probably wont sell 1million.
At the moment i think most people can agree the PS3 08 line up looks alot better than the X360 08 line up and that coupled with the pricecut to $399 will be very good for Sony and the PS3.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

mitsuhide said:
PS3 overtakes X360 sometime next year....when i have no idea just sometime next year.The price of the 80GB is obviously going to drop to $499 when the 60GB sells out in NA.There will be another pricecut on the PS3 next year to $399 probably during March when Sony has always dropped the price of the PS's.MGS4,GT5 and possibly FFXIII will boost sales alot for the PS3 and by next Christmas it will look alot more appealing then the X360 even if the X360 was at $200(elite).Yes the X360 has good games too and MS hasnt announced much for next year but nor has Sony really whats TeamICO,Insomniac,TeamNinja,JapanStudio,Eat Sleep and Play what are those studios doing for next year.TeamICO might be working on ICO2,TeamNinja on Heavenly Sword2, Insomniac on Resistance2,Eat Sleep and Play on GOW3 and at least 2/4 of those games will be millionsellers my money is on Resistance2 and GOW3 but they are obvious the other 2 depends if they are actually being worked on.
Fable2 for X360 will sell 1million at least.Banjo Kazooie3 will probably sell 1million.Alan Wake might.Halo Wars i think will have bad reviews and reck the Halo series in one move but will sell 1million because its Halo(whats the big deal with this game).Too Human looks promising but others probably wont sell 1million.
At the moment i think most people can agree the PS3 08 line up looks alot better than the X360 08 line up and that coupled with the pricecut to $399 will be very good for Sony and the PS3.

I sort of agree, and im glad you recognize both on this

Except again the math shows it would be very very hard for ps3 to pass 360, i mean really really hard, its like a 200% increase for ps3s and xbox gets no boosts.

I agree, there is no doubt that sony has a better lineup, but i think microsoft has something up there sleeves, doubtful but a chance, but unless its along the lines of "halo 4" hype, then ps3 will def have a better lineup.

But thats not to say those games on 360 wont be good, fable two will have a decent ammount of hype, and halo wars is being made by the people that made age of empires. And we have seen that Strat games can easily work on 360, and get good scores (BFME2 and CC TW come to mind)

Lastly if they do pricecut, it could very much help but i see it happening in 09/10 if it passes at all, and it is def possible in 08, but the increase would have to be like wii style.

Also if Ninja theory etc were to come out with a HS 2 next year, id be worried as heck for them rushing the game out so fast, and GOW im guessing is 09 because they prob would of announced it on 08 titles.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
jimmay said:
DarkNight_DS said:
jimmay said:
The ps3 will pass the xbox360 some time in 2009. Ps3's 2008 line up is far superior to the 360's and the wii's and that will make all the difference.

LOL that's a good one... Prove it! Show us the magical lineup for 2008 that Sony apparently has compared to what Nintendo has (which they've yet to talk about) and what MS has (who's also been quiet about 2008). You only need to talk about next years items if this years items can't hold their own. It's called dangling a carrot... Most games scheduled for next year are all tentative... meaning they could come out next year... of they could get delayed.

Brillant fanboy post with the use of 'LOL' to show off how mature you are. Wether you like it or not the ps3 in 2008 has more proven top rated multi million selling franchises coming out than any other console. The ps3 just off the top of my head has:

Gran Turismo 5

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Grand Theft Auto 4 (not coming to wii)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

Monster Kingdom

The Getaway 3

Tekken 6

Driver 5

Devil May Cry 4 (not coming to wii)

Wipeout

Burnout 5 (not coming to wii)

Resident Evil 5 (not coming to wii)

Then their are a bunch of promising new games such as, LittleBigPlanet, DC Universe, Eight Days, L.A. Noire and White Knight Story.

first off FF 13 will be lucky if it comes in 08, but i guess you can keep that up you never know they might be able to do it, and there is no chance in hell versuses is coming out in 08 unless they have kept everything a lie.

Now sony has been focusing on 08, because well, we see what they have for this holiday and its not the best, i would also focus on next year.

Also you have a few multis on there so i would NOT INCLUDE THEM

THESE ARE EXCLUSIVE SO FAR (least i hope -_-)

Fable 2

Too Human

Halo Wars

Cry on

Infinite Undiscovery

Alan Wake

Banjo-Kazooie 3

(possibly Lost odyssey its early 08 or late 07) Lost Odyssey

Universe At War: Earth Assault

Marvel Universe Online

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Castle Wolfenstein

And thats what they have announced, id be shocked if microsoft didnt have more coming, i really would

WHile ps3 does have the stronger lineup, its not like 360 and wii dont have a decently strong one.

Seriously if you are argeuing that a bunch of games will give the ps3 a huge ass boost, then why not the same for 360 and wii, your argueing is pointless

Nope, no and nope. You've listed a bunch of unproven games with the exception of fable 2, banjo and wolfenstein. Just taking the last released version of Gran turismo, final fantasy and metal gear, in total sales that comes to 17.69m and is still rising. You can take all those games you've just listed and combined they won't out sell those 3 huge sony games.

I think a lot of folks are looking at the PS3's *bright* future through rose-colored glasses. Don't feel bad - Sony is living in the past too. You can't predict future success of a console based on past performances - unless they are duplicated to a tee.

For instance, you would think the red light drama would have slowed 360 sales. Wrong. You would think the superior system would be at Wii-like numbers and crushing the 360. WRONG. You would think Sony wouldn't have been stupid enough to secure exclusives like GTA IV, Devil May Cry, Virtual Fighter, Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries 2 - WRONG.

Sony has to really pull some tricks out of their hat to win this console war. Right now, the 360 is much easier to design sweet looking and playing games than the PS3. The Wii is going strong, but I do think it will be fighting for the lead with the 360. Unless there's a strong lineup for the Wii, the 360 is gonna get back the lead in early to mid 2008.

The PS3? Go back to the PS2 playbook and steal some plays because you all need them BADLY.

Come on PS3 fans don't look at 08 already, many of the games even coming out in Q1 08 haven't even been announced yet. How can we compare lineups when we don't even know what they will be?
If you look at Nintendo's 08 lineup we barely know anything about it except for the games that were originally planned for 07 that were delayed to 08. It feels like PS3 fans have just given up on 07.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

mitsuhide said:

Why would a $400 console with fewer games (overall, not just for 08) be more appealing than a $200 with more overall games? I suppose it is possible that the PS3 could overtake the XBOX360 in christmas 08,  but your $400/more appealing than $200 console hypothetical is unrealistic.

jimmay said:
DarkNight_DS said:
jimmay said:
The ps3 will pass the xbox360 some time in 2009. Ps3's 2008 line up is far superior to the 360's and the wii's and that will make all the difference.

LOL that's a good one... Prove it! Show us the magical lineup for 2008 that Sony apparently has compared to what Nintendo has (which they've yet to talk about) and what MS has (who's also been quiet about 2008). You only need to talk about next years items if this years items can't hold their own. It's called dangling a carrot... Most games scheduled for next year are all tentative... meaning they could come out next year... of they could get delayed.

Brillant fanboy post with the use of 'LOL' to show off how mature you are. Wether you like it or not the ps3 in 2008 has more proven top rated multi million selling franchises coming out than any other console. The ps3 just off the top of my head has:

Gran Turismo 5

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Grand Theft Auto 4 (not coming to wii)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

Monster Kingdom

The Getaway 3

Tekken 6

Driver 5

Devil May Cry 4 (not coming to wii)

Wipeout

Burnout 5 (not coming to wii)

Resident Evil 5 (not coming to wii)

Then their are a bunch of promising new games such as, LittleBigPlanet, DC Universe, Eight Days, L.A. Noire and White Knight Story.

It's still LOL funny..  For exactly the reasons I stated.  You're comparing a non existant list (the one from Nintendo) and a partially existing list (the one from Microsoft) to an unproven release list.  Most of these games will be pushed to 2009 or maybe even further. If FF13 was only 13% done (ya I realize it was a joke but still) that means we might not realistically see it till 2009 at the earliest.  As for VS.  I wouldn't expect that next year either...  or the year of FF13's release.  You also listed a few not so good games...  Driver 5??  Getaway 3??  It's like I said...  we won't know anyone's lineup until next years holliday season.  We'll know more about Nintendo's first half of the year in January and most likely we'll hear about Microsoft's holliday season next spring.  Also... is it just me... or does Killzone 2 keep getting pushed back.  For a supposedly finished game... you'd think they'd release it this Christmas to boost system sales... if it's as good as we're told it is...  Also PS3's 2008 list (whatever that may end up being) needs to compete with the 360's and Wii's entire catalogue.  The 360 already has some huge release's under it's belt...  and the Wii is growing momentum software wise.  

Just so YOU know where I stand...  I owned both a PS2 and PS1, I'm not anti-Sony I'm just being a bit more realistic.  Good games take time to develop.   

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.