By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 Surpass Xbox360?

Seeing how the 360 has taken second place again, and how great the "awesome AAA+++ exclusives!!!!!1" ended up being, I don't think the PS3 has much of a shot at beating it anymore.

Looks like it'll beat my lowest expectations and hit at least 30 million though.

Around the Network
El Duderino said:
@ jimmay: I´d be impressed if MGS4 sells 4 million copys withing a half a year, 4 million PS3s I just can´t see. You can only count consoles sould within a somewhat short timeframe of the games release, otherwhise you could claim MGS4 has already sould 4 million PS3s since everybody who has one got it for that game...
 Exactly.It would be the same as saying that all 360 were sold in anticipation of Halo 3 and all Wii were sold bySMG.  The problem is that for a single game to sell a Ps3 it has to be considered worth a $560 or $660 dollar purchase- before tax. 

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

If it will, it will happen after the release of the next Xbox. In that case, PS3 will kinda defeat the Xbox 360 the way the SNES defeated the Genesis.

I think Lost Odyssey is going to say something about the 360's success. It will be the test to see if it can truly expand the demographic beyond FPS/Sports games.

Interestingly, I see Lost Odyssey and other jRPGs for the 360 more hyped on ps3forums than teamxbox.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
I think Lost Odyssey is going to say something about the 360's success. It will be the test to see if it can truly expand the demographic beyond FPS/Sports games.

Interestingly, I see Lost Odyssey and other jRPGs for the 360 more hyped on ps3forums than teamxbox.

I'd agree about the Xbox's demographic last generation, but I don't think the sports/FPS label holds water with the 360. There's already 5 games that are million sellers on the console that are neither sports titles nor shooters. If you include racing games as separate than sports, there are 9.

Around the Network
scotland yard said:
FinalEvangelion said:

I'd agree about the Xbox's demographic last generation, but I don't think the sports/FPS label holds water with the 360. There's already 5 games that are million sellers on the console that are neither sports titles nor shooters. If you include racing games as separate than sports, there are 9.

I looked at the top sellers, and I do stand corrected.  3 of them are Japanese games.  It just needs the Japanese RPGs because that equals alot of female gamers and "casual" gamers.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
scotland yard said:
FinalEvangelion said:

I looked at the top sellers, and I do stand corrected. 3 of them are Japanese games. It just needs the Japanese RPGs because that equals alot of female gamers and "casual" gamers.

I completely agree with this. There's so much talk of Wii appealing to 'casual' gamers and a seemingly endless number of cutesy stories about senior citizens with their Wii bowling leagues, but the true driving force behind the Wii's success has been women. It's quite short-sighted that gaming companies have ignored 50% of the buying population for so many years. Efforts to sell to women have been paltry, at best, and patronizing, at worst.

Women will buy and play games that appeal to them -- and they don't have to be as ridiculously simple and 'feminine' as Barbie Horse Adventures. If you want to see the true power of expanding a game's demographic to include women, you need only look at the sales numbers of The Sims and World of Warcraft. The Sims is still the best-selling PC game of all time, and some reports have the userbase as high as 60% women.

Both Microsoft and Sony have not done nearly enough to attract these users, and it's no coincidence that their sales are lagging well behind the less testosterone-drenched Wii.

jimmay said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
jimmay said:
DarkNight_DS said:
jimmay said:
DarkNight_DS said:
jimmay said:
The ps3 will pass the xbox360 some time in 2009. Ps3's 2008 line up is far superior to the 360's and the wii's and that will make all the difference.

LOL that's a good one... Prove it! Show us the magical lineup for 2008 that Sony apparently has compared to what Nintendo has (which they've yet to talk about) and what MS has (who's also been quiet about 2008). You only need to talk about next years items if this years items can't hold their own. It's called dangling a carrot... Most games scheduled for next year are all tentative... meaning they could come out next year... of they could get delayed.

Brillant fanboy post with the use of 'LOL' to show off how mature you are. Wether you like it or not the ps3 in 2008 has more proven top rated multi million selling franchises coming out than any other console. The ps3 just off the top of my head has:

Gran Turismo 5

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Grand Theft Auto 4 (not coming to wii)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

Monster Kingdom

The Getaway 3

Tekken 6

Driver 5

Devil May Cry 4 (not coming to wii)

Wipeout

Burnout 5 (not coming to wii)

Resident Evil 5 (not coming to wii)

Then their are a bunch of promising new games such as, LittleBigPlanet, DC Universe, Eight Days, L.A. Noire and White Knight Story.

It's still LOL funny.. For exactly the reasons I stated. You're comparing a non existant list (the one from Nintendo) and a partially existing list (the one from Microsoft) to an unproven release list. Most of these games will be pushed to 2009 or maybe even further. If FF13 was only 13% done (ya I realize it was a joke but still) that means we might not realistically see it till 2009 at the earliest. As for VS. I wouldn't expect that next year either... or the year of FF13's release. You also listed a few not so good games... Driver 5?? Getaway 3?? It's like I said... we won't know anyone's lineup until next years holliday season. We'll know more about Nintendo's first half of the year in January and most likely we'll hear about Microsoft's holliday season next spring. Also... is it just me... or does Killzone 2 keep getting pushed back. For a supposedly finished game... you'd think they'd release it this Christmas to boost system sales... if it's as good as we're told it is... Also PS3's 2008 list (whatever that may end up being) needs to compete with the 360's and Wii's entire catalogue. The 360 already has some huge release's under it's belt... and the Wii is growing momentum software wise.

Just so YOU know where I stand... I owned both a PS2 and PS1, I'm not anti-Sony I'm just being a bit more realistic. Good games take time to develop.

No it's just somebody acting like a fanboy and trying to play down the amount of huge sellers sony has coming out in 2008. Most of the games i've listed will come out in 2008 and sony has more proven multi million franchises to come out compared to the competition. By 2008 the only proven million franchises microsoft have left are fable 2 and kotor 3. Sony on the other hand still have Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy 13, Metal Gear Solid 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Killzone 3, The Getaway 3, Tekken 6, Jak and Daxter 4, God of War 3, Onimusha 4, Twisted Metal Black 2 and Sly Cooper.
Do some research before you start shouting out franchises. God of war 3, KILLZONE 3? KH 3? when are those coming, not 2008 which is what we are dicusing, stop pumping out even more games, cause then i will. First off God of War 3 not 2008. Killzone 3? 2 is just coming out and it took how many years? I would be suprised to see it within a few years. (2-3) KH 3? First off how do you know its going to be ps3, there have been many rumors on how this one is going to wii, though i do see it as ps3 still though. Also the people who are making versus are the people who made KH so when are they making this? It will NOT be coming out in 08 and that is what we are talking about.

No the title of this thread is when will the ps3 over take the xbox360. My opinion is it will over the 360 in 2009. By the end of 2009 i expect all the games i listed to have come out by then and atleast half of them to have come out by 2008. As for killzone 3 that was typo i meant killzone 2.

We were just argueing about 2008 now your pushing it into 09? when will it end?

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
jimmay said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
jimmay said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
jimmay said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
jimmay said:
DarkNight_DS said:
jimmay said:
The ps3 will pass the xbox360 some time in 2009. Ps3's 2008 line up is far superior to the 360's and the wii's and that will make all the difference.

LOL that's a good one... Prove it! Show us the magical lineup for 2008 that Sony apparently has compared to what Nintendo has (which they've yet to talk about) and what MS has (who's also been quiet about 2008). You only need to talk about next years items if this years items can't hold their own. It's called dangling a carrot... Most games scheduled for next year are all tentative... meaning they could come out next year... of they could get delayed.

Brillant fanboy post with the use of 'LOL' to show off how mature you are. Wether you like it or not the ps3 in 2008 has more proven top rated multi million selling franchises coming out than any other console. The ps3 just off the top of my head has:

Gran Turismo 5

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Grand Theft Auto 4 (not coming to wii)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

Monster Kingdom

The Getaway 3

Tekken 6

Driver 5

Devil May Cry 4 (not coming to wii)

Wipeout

Burnout 5 (not coming to wii)

Resident Evil 5 (not coming to wii)

Then their are a bunch of promising new games such as, LittleBigPlanet, DC Universe, Eight Days, L.A. Noire and White Knight Story.

first off FF 13 will be lucky if it comes in 08, but i guess you can keep that up you never know they might be able to do it, and there is no chance in hell versuses is coming out in 08 unless they have kept everything a lie.

Now sony has been focusing on 08, because well, we see what they have for this holiday and its not the best, i would also focus on next year.

Also you have a few multis on there so i would NOT INCLUDE THEM

THESE ARE EXCLUSIVE SO FAR (least i hope -_-)

Fable 2

Too Human

Halo Wars

Cry on

Infinite Undiscovery

Alan Wake

Banjo-Kazooie 3

(possibly Lost odyssey its early 08 or late 07) Lost Odyssey

Universe At War: Earth Assault

Marvel Universe Online

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Castle Wolfenstein

And thats what they have announced, id be shocked if microsoft didnt have more coming, i really would

WHile ps3 does have the stronger lineup, its not like 360 and wii dont have a decently strong one.

Seriously if you are argeuing that a bunch of games will give the ps3 a huge ass boost, then why not the same for 360 and wii, your argueing is pointless

Nope, no and nope. You've listed a bunch of unproven games with the exception of fable 2, banjo and wolfenstein. Just taking the last released version of Gran turismo, final fantasy and metal gear, in total sales that comes to 17.69m and is still rising. You can take all those games you've just listed and combined they won't out sell those 3 huge sony games.

I would sure hope those games would of sold that many, on a console that sold 100 million, its not that huge even 20% attachment rate for all those combined. Even halo a single game was at 30%.

Now with 4 million total ps3 sold, id say each one sales 1 m? and thats being nice with a 25% attachment rate.

So i guess 3 million is alot.......

No it doesnt work like that. Games sell as many as they do because that many people wanted to buy them, not because they just happened to own the system. If somebody is only a metal gear fan why would they buy a ps3 now? Why not wait till the game comes out and then buy a ps3? According to your logic if halo was a ps2 exclusive game is would have sold 35m right?? Lol sorry halo sold 8 million because only 8 million people wanted to buy it. Gran turismo also sold 8 million because that many people wanted to buy it and the same will happen again for both games when they get released.

No when im saying that, im saying halo is a very true system seller. And now your proveing every arguement that states that halo 3 will boost sales big time. Why by a 360 now, when its not out, just like ps3 fans buy one now with no huge games?

When i say Halo has a huge attachment rate im trying to show how it will move systems, and how popular it was on its console. Halo most likely wouldnt of sold 35 million, but most likely more then 8 million.

In all im stating that PS isnt the only company with system sellers, sorry its not, and with you and everyones logic, 360 will get a huge boost in this holidays sales, while ps3 does in 08. And it comes down to that im trying to prove to all the fanboys that 360 does have enough games, that it wont just drop out in 08.

I could give a long answer but i'll give the short answer instead. Sony isnt the only company with system sellers, but it has significantly more left to come out then the competition does by the end of 2007.

Yes i agree, almost fully maybe no a huge ammount more but def more.....

When i mean this im just saying if xbox gets the boost like its supposed to like ps3 will get in early 08 /late 08, then will they still not be equaling out? im trying to say how can one have such a huge boost from games while the other cant? Thats all im saying. Im trying to say ps3 will need more then that if they want to retake the lead, they need to hit it right and hard.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.