By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What 3rd party games will reach that legendary 10million mark?

Squilliam said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games is a definite possibility if it gets a large boost from the '08 Olympics.

Yeah you're right! It could see a massive boost, so whens the Olympics again anyway? Lol

Guitar Hero IV - Yep thats a definate possiblity there. It just sells and sells and it has huge legs. Whens it gonna be released anyway?

BTW, this is for all consoles im not talking about console wars, just total game sales whereever they come from.

Edit: Guitar Hero III has hit 11 million sales! On 4 consoles, Impressive!!!
08/08/08 or 8 August of 2008

Around the Network

I'm not too sure about GH IV. It is supposed to release like just Rock Band containing a Drumset, Guitar, Mic only this time it is $189.99 instead of $169.99. Just short of $200...

Me personally, I skipped RB because of the absurd price tag and I shall do the same for GH IV unless my friend who likes to play GH III with me goes half seeing as he doesn't own any system... I own them.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

MontanaHatchet said:
akuma587 said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will not reach 10 million. Guitar Hero III has ALREADY hit 10 million. GTA IV will. COD 4 has a decent chance. As of now that is all the games we can reasonably predict to hit 10 million.

Unless Star Wars: The Force Unleashed gets phenomenal reviews and amazing word of mouth, it won't even reach 5 million on all systems.

What's your rationale behind M&S not reaching 10 million? It's a tough goal, sure. But it's still selling well and it could go through another holiday season and a boost from the olympics. And Call of Duty 4 will absolutely hit 10 million, even if we don't count PC sales.

As for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, 10 million is a tough goal, sure. But 5 million is almost certain. It's on 6 different platforms, getting incredibly hyped, launched in September before the holiday season, and the Wii will be selling so well that it could easily reach 2 million on the Wii alone. Don't doubt the power of Star Wars on the Wii. 

It looks like its on track to hit 6.5million anyway. It's selling quite well. Add another couple of a million for the Olympics and its definately plausible for it to hit 10million. Could be the first 3rd party game to hit 10million on just one system!

Star Wars just looks good, it really does. It seems like one of the best bets for this year, name recognition + quality + breadth of delivery will see to it.

Tease.

akuma587 said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will not reach 10 million. Guitar Hero III has ALREADY hit 10 million. GTA IV will. COD 4 has a decent chance. As of now that is all the games we can reasonably predict to hit 10 million.

Unless Star Wars: The Force Unleashed gets phenomenal reviews and amazing word of mouth, it won't even reach 5 million on all systems.

why wont M&S reach 10 mil?the game is still selling amazing on both wii and DS,i think it will make 10 mil,dont forget the game will get a boost when the olimpics start

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

COD4 just hit the 10 million mark.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9959146-52.html?tag=nefd.top

"There are few things that video game publishers--or any consumer products companies, for that matter--like more than reaching big, notable milestones.

So it was with considerable pride that Activision's wholly owned Infinity Ward studio told me Tuesday that its war game, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, has just sold its 10 millionth copy.

Infinity Ward studio head Vince Zampella didn't know exactly how many units the game had sold on each platform it is available on--the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC--but did say that COD 4 had been most successful on the Xbox."

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

I think Fallout 3 and Resident Evil 5 have a chance, albeit a very very slim chance.

Guitar Hero 4 also has a chance but its got a much higher price point then previous Guitar Heros.

M&S are already at 6.4 million combined, so 10 million is definitely possible. I think the wii version alone will reach 7 million eventually.

@ Euphoria

Damn it, why would they purposefully hurt GHIV Sales? they better sell a version with no instruments bundled for the people who don't care about drums.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Star Wars Unleashed has a decent chance to hit 10 mill. The thing with Star Wars games is that they often sell on name alone. But Unleashed seems like a good game so far and I'm quite excited by it. My prediction, roughly:

X360: 2.75 mill
PS3: 2.25 mill
Wii: 2 mill
PS2: 1.25 mill
PSP: 0.75 mill
DS: 0.5 mill
----------------
~ 9.5

The sequel to Assassin's Creed will reach 10 million because the console install base will be larger and I believe the quality of the game will be a lot better than the first game. And if they release a Wii version it's practically guaranteed to reach 10 mill.
(AC is now at 6.5 mill on PS360 combined, but still selling well and will likely reach 8 mill)

The next Zelda I believe will easily reach 10 mill. Just imagine a super-Zelda to be released for Christmas 2010 on a console with a 100 million installed base. Epic. It will be the Game of the ages. <---oops, 1st party

i think maybe discussing 10million is less interesting than which games will hit 5 million on a single format.

It would be an absurdly expensive game to require even 2 million sales to break even. 5 million sales on a single platform is incredible, check out the total games hitting 5 million on these consoles:

PS2 - 12 games
XBOX - 2 games
360 - 4 games
PS3 - 0 games yet (GTA4 should pass 5 million at some point)

Gears 2 should pass 5 million but hitting 5 million is not an easy achievement. Even more interesting is that 2 franchises alone Halo (3) and GTA (4) account for over half of the over 5 million copies sold games from the latest 2 Sony and M$ consoles. Sure there is more analysis worth doing on this (Nintendo Consoles, 1st vs 3rd party) but my lunch break does not allow for it!

M&S I thought that was nintendo and sega developed.... so doesn't that mean its more or less first and third party... meaning second party???