By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:

1) Hes just sour because I told everyone in that thread he has a reputation for not being very good at MarioKart Wii.

2) Though I would contend its hard to establish a posting history relevant to this thread given the thread you used to establish said history was started by me, all of ten seconds before posting this thread.

3) Peace.

1) You would have a hard time to convince people that I am not good at MK:Wii.

2) I think that the MK:Wii thread is a very good example. When you wrote it, you knew that you would be posting this thread here shortly after, so naturally wouldn't you pay attention to what you post just before you start defending yourself being called a "fanboy"? Also, you were just returning from being banned, another reason to be more careful.

Anyway, Shameless (good job, btw) already posted a wide selection of your quotes, so I really don't have to prove anymore that the assumption in my previous post is correct. It was pretty accurate to say the least.

3) Of cake. 

</thread>

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:

1) Hes just sour because I told everyone in that thread he has a reputation for not being very good at MarioKart Wii.

2) Though I would contend its hard to establish a posting history relevant to this thread given the thread you used to establish said history was started by me, all of ten seconds before posting this thread.

3) Peace.

2) I think that the MK:Wii thread is a very good example. When you wrote it, you knew that you would be posting this thread here shortly after, so naturally wouldn't you pay attention to what you post just before you start defending yourself being called a "fanboy"? Also, you were just returning from being banned, another reason to be more careful.

Anyway, Shameless (good job, btw) already posted a wide selection of your quotes, so I really don't have to prove anymore that the assumption in my previous post is correct. It was pretty accurate to say the least.

3) Of cake. 

Ruh-Roh!

Austrian vs. Australian!

Fight!

DMeisterJ said:
@ Starcraft

Did you really make the Halo 3 comment?

Of course I did.  I hate Halo online, but I've always loved the story.

If that makes me a fanboy, then *insert rude metaphor* damn it I'm a fanboy. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ Starcraft

Did you really make the Halo 3 comment?

Of course I did.  I hate Halo online, but I've always loved the story.

If that makes me a fanboy, then *insert rude metaphor* damn it I'm a fanboy. 

You're generally full of win Starcraft, but that comment, opinion or not, is so full of fail, I have to give you a minus one.  No convo neccessary.  Any other person who played and beat the game would call that ending nothing short of mediocre.

RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:

3) Peace.

3) Of cake.

1) Ok

2) Editing my posts, withdrawing my sense of humour or any other form of self-censorship would be ridiculous given what this thread is about.  It highlights the fact that people are having to self-censor because the vast majority of people on these forums, including some mods, are subscribing to negative social constructions and allowing their decisions to be swayed by them.

3) mmmmmmMmmmmmmm 

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

You're generally full of win Starcraft, but that comment, opinion or not, is so full of fail, I have to give you a minus one. No convo neccessary. Any other person who played and beat the game would call that ending nothing short of mediocre.

NO!!!! THEY IS GONNA MAKE IT A MOVIEZ!!!! DEY IS GONNA MAKE IT A MOVIEZ!!!!!

*runs to the corner and cries* 

starcraft said:

“Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

From this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27626

Now whether you believe my assertion that that was a jab at Ubisoft’s poor attempt at making the game, or think I was ‘attacking’ the PS3, this comment is hardly a ban-able offense.  However, by his own admission, naznatips did not act in a vacuum, he was reacting to his ‘perception’ that I am a fanboy that was trying to ‘troll.’

I will provide a few examples and then I will leave the solution till part two.  Whilst I was banned Dodoce, a poster that almost universally posts only logic-based, well thought out opinions also received a ban for his comment in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28019

What got him banned wasn’t his comment, which was completely unbannable, but the reaction too it:

Addressing these two sections:

You're comment was directly anti-PS3, while the other comments were directly anti-Haze.  I'm very sorry that you can't see the difference, but it's my job to be able to see the difference.  Here are some examples of the comments before yours: 

If it does, at least us PS3 fans can say we arent the only ones to have to suffer the embarassment of Haze on our consoles...

No thanks. Given how Haze turned out it would be like PS3 owners getting a port of Bomberman: Act Zero.

I'm happy now , they won't be able to call it Lair 2.

SPREAD THE SHAME !!!

Haze is never going into my 360...

Now here is your comment starcraft:

Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

Surely I am not the only one who sees a difference in the content of those posts.  While everyone else had fun screwing around with a bad game, you took it as an opportunity to blatantly insult the PS3.  Whether that was your intention or not, you insulted a lot of forum members (your post was reported 3 times in fact).

I'd now like you to show where I said anything like the highlighted portion of your first statement.  I am giving you permission to post private messages between you and me to provide evidence of this.  I have never called you a fanboy or a troll, but I have banned you and warned you specifically for the action of "trolling."  

Second, I will address Dodece's ban.  I am not the moderator who banned Dodece, but as Forum Administrator I also take responsibility for the actions of the moderators.  Dodece was banned for a lengthy post best summarized as "there is no logical reason to enjoy games on the PS3."  He called an entire group of system owners completely illogical for having a different opinion than him. 

If you don't see the problem with this (or your own) post, I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do to explain to you how to be respectful, polite, and act socially responsible on these forums.  If you continue to behave like that, or post things like that last post of Dodece's, you will continue to be banned for longer and longer until you are permanently banned. 

As for the other comments in the topic with Dodece, I'm sure they weren't read because they weren't reported.  We don't have time to read every post in a topic.  If you see something that is insulting, report it.  I can't stress this enough, as everytime I ban or warn someone I get comments of "But he did this" and I have to reply with "Why didn't you report this?"  I can't read everything on the forums.  Use the report button.

starcraft said:

But thats just it.  I wasn't labelled an Xbox 360 fanboy until I disagreed with a certain group of PS3 fans.

That lends itself to what I feel is the very real possibility that most fanboyism (if not all) is socially constructed rather than based in any real notion of reality.  For example, have you ever seen what happens when I ask a Sony fan to provide links proving whatever ridiculous claim they are making about my posting history?

Sorry starcraft but when you make threads that talk about Mario Kart being so good it could've been a 360 game.... You're most definately a M$ fanboi.  That thread was practiacully pointless and posatively a stealth troll. 

EDIT: That's okay though someone needs to defend M$ with all the PSWii fanbois around.

To be fair, Starcraft's comment had a smiley (wink) after it, I would have taken it as a joke, which I did when I first saw that comment. But I can see how if you take the wink out, it's clearly trolling.

This is still going on...

Starcraft the momentum is there....make part 2....make the sequel to this thread!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey