By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

RolStoppable said:

This thread starts to remind of a similar thread from Legend11 when he wanted people to stop throwing around the word "fanboy" and they should look in the mirror first before calling him one or something like that. My answer was that there is a good reason why some people call him names and that is his posting history.

Since you, starcraft, aren't posting as much in the Nintendo forum and Nintendo related threads as Legend11 did, I am not that familiar with your posting history as with his, but some posts of yours which I have read are clearly aimed at upsetting people. Let's just take a look at one of your recent threads:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28271&start=0

The thread title is already provocating, but at least there's a smilie, so it can easily be interpreted as a joke. Okay, nothing bad then. But in the first paragraph of the OP you say this:

It is extremely rare for an awesome game to come out this generation that isn't available on the Xbox 360. It's only happened twice in my country, first with Zelda TP and second with Super Mario Galaxy.

No smilie this time and you are stating an opinion as if it were a fact. It's a totally unnecessary thing to say in a thread about Mario Kart Wii, but why did you do it? It's only upsetting Wii and PS3 owners, because you insult (nearly) the entirety of their exclusive games. Maybe you said it because:

This post is so overwhelmingly pro a non-360 console it hurt my hands writing it.

Yes, that could be the reason. You can't say something good about another console without handing out an insult at the same time.

Now you probably don't realize it, because you see these jabs as nothing big when you post them, but over time they added up and gave you the reputation you have now. With the long posting history you have it will be difficult, almost impossible, to change your image on this website.

Just pay a little more attention on the things you write before you actually post them, i.e. leave out the unnecessary attacks on games and consoles, this way you can prevent a lot of trouble and over time your reputation will improve again.

Well, maybe. And damn, did it take me a long time to type this post. 

Around the Network

Being so attached to a freaking gaming console is just really sad. Starcraft, you can't say things like "the 360 is the best console since the N64" and not expect to be called a fanboy.

starcraft said:
Shameless said:
starcraft said:

I assumed you were applying your post to Dodoce's post we were just discussing. I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption.

If you were talking about my post, which part of it unduly attacked a platform?

And why should this thread be locked?

Mainly for comparing something as trivial as being banned on a discussion forum to the feminist movement.

After glancing through your post history, I've noticed a trend. Around 70% of your posts are jibes at Sony, no matter how subtle, rational or any other way you choose to justify your bias. You obviously dislike Sony and their products with a passion but if you want to be viewed as an intelligent member of this forum then I suggest you stop feeling the need to 'insult' the larger population of Sony fans.

So my thread should be locked because you don't feel it is intellectual enough, despite having posted in it a number of times already?

Care to mention some of these jibes at Sony? Please provide context if you choose to quote me, as many posters have taken to isolating quotes from me, or even making them up.

Most posters here who know me know that I plan to purchase a PS3, and owned a PS2 for a time. I generally play my Xbox 360 on a Sony television. I guess that kinda debunks the whole disliking Sony thing huh?

It's less individual posts and more the sum of your posts. Here's a few if you are incapable of looking through your own post history:

"..Sony "trojan-horsed" Blu Ray into the PS3 in an attempt to cynically make gamers pay for an expense that should have been shouldered by industry.."

"..Wii's gameplay capabilites, which far exceed those of the PS3.."

"your not missing anything enjoyable to play onyour PS3, and i sense a little bit of desperation in your highly biased attempts to justify your purchase"

"I know i sometimes have very fanboyish tendencies when it comes to supporting the 360."

(apparantly your view has changed?)

" If you don't wish to see anything bad about the PS3, join the SonyDefenseForce site."

(implies you specifically seek negative press and criticism about the PS3 in context of the conversation)

"No remotely informed customer will purchase a PS3 this year"

"Well Tekken MGS and FF are all heavily rumored to come to the 360. MGS will, the other two probably wont, so if you must have them buy a PS3."

(implies that the biggest games available on the PS3 are not worth the price of purchase by use of the word 'must')

"Thats why 360 graphics in general are better than PS3's"

"Microsoft should be insulted that BBC compared a Killzone game to Halo......"

"The ending to Halo 3 was touching and engaging."

"...bought launch PS3's and r pissed they have nothing to play."

"...the PS3 is hard to develop for and that lots of games are delayed for it by a month or two. I do believe that MGS4 will come to 360..."

"The PS3 will have White Knight Story in 2008, along with.....er.....hang on a minute....."

"Harvey is a PS3 fanboy.."

(you have no right to call anyone a fanboy)

I can't be bothered to do any more or this thread will turn into a 2000 line snore-fest of grating boredom. You don't ever post about Sony unless you have some criticism or a negative news article written on a blog by another Microsoft fan so you can preach that you always back-up your bias. It's incredibly tedious. 

RolStoppable said:

This thread starts to remind of a similar thread from Legend11 when he wanted people to stop throwing around the word "fanboy" and they should look in the mirror first before calling him one or something like that. My answer was that there is a good reason why some people call him names and that is his posting history.

Since you, starcraft, aren't posting as much in the Nintendo forum and Nintendo related threads as Legend11 did, I am not that familiar with your posting history as with his, but some posts of yours which I have read are clearly aimed at upsetting people. Let's just take a look at one of your recent threads:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28271&start=0

The thread title is already provocating, but at least there's a smilie, so it can easily be interpreted as a joke. Okay, nothing bad then. But in the first paragraph of the OP you say this:

It is extremely rare for an awesome game to come out this generation that isn't available on the Xbox 360. It's only happened twice in my country, first with Zelda TP and second with Super Mario Galaxy.

No smilie this time and you are stating an opinion as if it were a fact. It's a totally unnecessary thing to say in a thread about Mario Kart Wii, but why did you do it? It's only upsetting Wii and PS3 owners, because you insult (nearly) the entirety of their exclusive games. Maybe you said it because:

This post is so overwhelmingly pro a non-360 console it hurt my hands writing it.

Yes, that could be the reason. You can't say something good about another console without handing out an insult at the same time.

Now you probably don't realize it, because you see these jabs as nothing big when you post them, but over time they added up and gave you the reputation you have now. With the long posting history you have it will be difficult, almost impossible, to change your image on this website.

Just pay a little more attention on the things you write before you actually post them, i.e. leave out the unnecessary attacks on games and consoles, this way you can prevent a lot of trouble and over time your reputation will improve again.

Well, maybe. And damn, did it take me a long time to type this post.

Hes just sour because I told everyone in that thread he has a reputation for not being very good at MarioKart Wii.

Though I would contend its hard to establish a posting history relevant to this thread given the thread you used to establish said history was started by me, all of ten seconds before posting this thread.

Peace. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ shameless

WoWoWoWoW

The Halo 3 line is total BS by the way. Touching and engaging my ass. If Starcraft really said that, -1 to Starcraft.

Around the Network
whatever said:
Being so attached to a freaking gaming console is just really sad. Starcraft, you can't say things like "the 360 is the best console since the N64" and not expect to be called a fanboy.

I don't think I did say that?

Still at this point in a generation, I don't remember a console having this many AAA games.

Side-note, I was just playing my N64 a couple of hours back.  Banjo is still full of awesomness. 

Torillian said:
YOu are assuming the timing though. You don't know when those mods checked back on the thread, they might not have been following it as closely as you think. The mod who gave Dodece the ban may have been the first to happen upon his post. Also, you are absolutely right that Darth's post was trolling, but the mod probably saw Dodece's post and figured out that Darth was posting as a direct result of Dodece's trolling. If I was the mod, I would give Darth a warning, telling him to respond to trolls in a more constructive fashion, and banned Dodece because his trolling was unprovoked.

I figured out which mod banned him though.  It was montana.

I'm about 99% sure DKII and Rocketpig BOTH posted before Dodoce was banned.  However as I cant prove it, we'll have to let this one go.

But I agree that we should have more warnings/cautions and less bans for regular posters. 

Shameless, you are NOT in a position to sayy anything. You specifically told SaviorX that his opinion about DD being lame, or one of the other MKs, and saying MKWii was great, was WRONG. How in high heaven can an OPINION be WRONG?

If I were you, i wouldn't even be in this thread.

Now, that I'm back on topic, Starcraft, you gots to let it go. Ignore people like Rock on with the dumb threads or others making you mad. I know people may get mad at you when you have an opinion its dumb. But, to comment on their dumb reasoning would be like adding fuel to the fire.

I mean, I said once that Mgs4 will debut with 1.4-1.5 mil, which I strongly believe in. One of our permabanned member, I can't put my finger on who he is, pmed me and said I was crazy and that Mgs4 would launch WW with 3 MIL!

Judging from past data, you would have believed he was on Crack or something.

@ Starcraft

Did you really make the Halo 3 comment?

Shameless said:

It's less individual posts and more the sum of your posts. Here's a few if you are incapable of looking through your own post history:

"..Sony "trojan-horsed" Blu Ray into the PS3 in an attempt to cynically make gamers pay for an expense that should have been shouldered by industry.."

You disagree?  Perhaps you have some evidence that indicates Blu-Ray is an expense necessary for gaming, that would render my post "fanboyish?"

"..Wii's gameplay capabilites, which far exceed those of the PS3.."

I think I made this comment sometime ago, when the disparity between AAA titles on the two consoles was greater than it is now.

"your not missing anything enjoyable to play onyour PS3, and i sense a little bit of desperation in your highly biased attempts to justify your purchase"

Lol.  I remember that thread.  I'm pretty sure someone said all my posts were aimed at self-justification due to my owning a 360.  I believe I listed the AAA exclusives I was playing at the time yes?

"I know i sometimes have very fanboyish tendencies when it comes to supporting the 360."

(apparantly your view has changed?)

Not at all.  I believe that fanboyism is a social construction.  The tendencies that I referred to lend themselves to that construction.

" If you don't wish to see anything bad about the PS3, join the SonyDefenseForce site."

(implies you specifically seek negative press and criticism about the PS3 in context of the conversation)

Lol.  Stretching a bit arn't we?  I don't remember saying this, but I assume some idiot was bitching because I posted something factual that wasn't my opinion, but wasn't great for the PS3 no?

"No remotely informed customer will purchase a PS3 this year"

Lol. Again, context.  I believe that was said last year, and maybe even prior to the price cuts.

"Well Tekken MGS and FF are all heavily rumored to come to the 360. MGS will, the other two probably wont, so if you must have them buy a PS3."

(implies that the biggest games available on the PS3 are not worth the price of purchase by use of the word 'must')

The biggest games alone (assuming you mean 2 to 3 titles as listed here) are not worth the purchase of any console in isolation in my opinion.

"Thats why 360 graphics in general are better than PS3's"

I'm assuming a thread about dev times and expenses?

"Microsoft should be insulted that BBC compared a Killzone game to Halo......"

No defense necessary, Metacritic does the work for me here.

"The ending to Halo 3 was touching and engaging."

Er.....I take it your attacking my opinion?  I actually am not a huge fan of Halo online myself, I sold the title after playing the campaign a few times.

"...bought launch PS3's and r pissed they have nothing to play."

I'm not sure I said this, I generally don't type "r."  If I did, I assume it was a similar situation to the PS3 justification comment.

"...the PS3 is hard to develop for and that lots of games are delayed for it by a month or two. I do believe that MGS4 will come to 360..."

MGS4 won't come to the Xbox 360, MGS4 Subsistence will.  Just like the PS3 will get NG2: Sigma

"The PS3 will have White Knight Story in 2008, along with.....er.....hang on a minute....."

JRPG conversation?

"Harvey is a PS3 fanboy.."

I haven't seen Harvey Birdman on these forums in a LONG time.  Given the age of this comment, I think its fair to say we've moved on.  Indeed, thats why we are here.  I've realized that by labelling people fanboys, I perpetuate the ongoing cycle of cynical social construction.

(you have no right to call anyone a fanboy)

I can't be bothered to do any more or this thread will turn into a 2000 line snore-fest of grating boredom. You don't ever post about Sony unless you have some criticism or a negative news article written on a blog by another Microsoft fan so you can preach that you always back-up your bias. It's incredibly tedious.

Thankyou for ignoring what I said about context.

Incidentally, you seem to have gone back at least six months.  Did extreme bad luck lead you to miss my regular praise of WKS, Versus, Heavy Rain and the PS3's media capabilities?  OR did you just not feel they'd help your argument?