By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

starcraft said:
Shameless said:
starcraft said:
Shameless said:

Platform criticism. Posts slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
Substance. Content is king. Threads lacking content can and will be locked. Some tips to keep you and your posts out of trouble:
  • Do not post only that Item A sucks, or that Item B is better than Item C. Give reasons why, post links to documented problems, of screenshots, or whatever you can. Similarly, do not reply to other posters with "you're wrong." Explain why you disagree, and perhaps point to the correct answer.

I think you'll find my reply to be applicable to your post whereas your's isn't. Unless you're implying this thread should be locked which is, indeed, correct.

I assumed you were applying your post to Dodoce's post we were just discussing. I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption.

If you were talking about my post, which part of it unduly attacked a platform?

And why should this thread be locked?

Mainly for comparing something as trivial as being banned on a discussion forum to the feminist movement.

After glancing through your post history, I've noticed a trend. Around 70% of your posts are jibes at Sony, no matter how subtle, rational or any other way you choose to justify your bias. You obviously dislike Sony and their products with a passion but if you want to be viewed as an intelligent member of this forum then I suggest you stop feeling the need to 'insult' the larger population of Sony fans.

Around the Network
Torillian said:

But what Darth did is exactly what Dodece did, almost word for word. He said that there were no good games on the PS3 in 2007 (an opinion) and then proceeded to compare any PS3 owner who bought the system in 2007 like adults who worship Barney. I can't believe you aren't seeing the parallels.

Just because Dodece kept his insults to a smaller group of people doesn't make his comments acceptable.

I am equally amazed that you cannot see the differences.  Dodoce expressed an OPINION that was not targeted at a specific poster and didn't broadly attack the PS3.  It questioned the value of a PS3 during the holiday season last year.

Darth's implication was that ALL Xbox 360 owners, regardless of when the console was purchased, are making an idiot choice of platform.

What about deviation's comment, or outlaurons?  Or our very own Shameless who was unashamedely making no contribution to the thread and literally just called Dodoce's ideas "shit." 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Shameless said:
starcraft said:

I assumed you were applying your post to Dodoce's post we were just discussing. I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption.

If you were talking about my post, which part of it unduly attacked a platform?

And why should this thread be locked?

Mainly for comparing something as trivial as being banned on a discussion forum to the feminist movement.

After glancing through your post history, I've noticed a trend. Around 70% of your posts are jibes at Sony, no matter how subtle, rational or any other way you choose to justify your bias. You obviously dislike Sony and their products with a passion but if you want to be viewed as an intelligent member of this forum then I suggest you stop feeling the need to 'insult' the larger population of Sony fans.

So my thread should be locked because you don't feel it is intellectual enough, despite having posted in it a number of times already?

Care to mention some of these jibes at Sony?  Please provide context if you choose to quote me, as many posters have taken to isolating quotes from me, or even making them up.

Most posters here who know me know that I plan to purchase a PS3, and owned a PS2 for a time.  I generally play my Xbox 360 on a Sony television.  I guess that kinda debunks the whole disliking Sony thing huh? 

starcraft said:
Torillian said:

But what Darth did is exactly what Dodece did, almost word for word. He said that there were no good games on the PS3 in 2007 (an opinion) and then proceeded to compare any PS3 owner who bought the system in 2007 like adults who worship Barney. I can't believe you aren't seeing the parallels.

Just because Dodece kept his insults to a smaller group of people doesn't make his comments acceptable.

I am equally amazed that you cannot see the differences.  Dodoce expressed an OPINION that was not targeted at a specific poster and didn't broadly attack the PS3.  It questioned the value of a PS3 during the holiday season last year.

Darth's implication was that ALL Xbox 360 owners, regardless of when the console was purchased, are making an idiot choice of platform.

What about deviation's comment, or outlaurons?  Or our very own Shameless who was unashamedely making no contribution to the thread and literally just called Dodoce's ideas "shit." 

TBH I would've called his ideas shit too after being insulted like that.  The reason that Darth's comment is unacceptable is because there are obviously 360 owners on this forum, and you should not insult them.  You think there aren't PS3 owners who bought the system before 08 in this forum?  Of course there are, and Dodece directly insulted them, I'm sorry but how can you not see the insult in calling someone illogical, saying that obviously they should never be expected to do anything logical, and then likening them to adults who worship Barney?  

He chose his words to insult and flamebait people who he knew read these forums, that's trolling.

Torillian said:

TBH I would've called his ideas shit too after being insulted like that. The reason that Darth's comment is unacceptable is because there are obviously 360 owners on this forum, and you should not insult them. You think there aren't PS3 owners who bought the system before 08 in this forum? Of course there are, and Dodece directly insulted them, I'm sorry but how can you not see the insult in calling someone illogical, saying that obviously they should never be expected to do anything logical, and then likening them to adults who worship Barney?

He chose his words to insult and flamebait people who he knew read these forums, that's trolling.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding how insulting Dodoce's comments were.  But back within the context of the thread, do you not see the problem with him being banned only after others reacted to his post?

Even though some of the reactions were clearly trolling (I think Darth's was as well, but there you go), it was Dodoce that got banned, even though at least two mods clearly sailed over his comment originally. 

Around the Network

The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 3 - Redux

YOu are assuming the timing though.  You don't know when those mods checked back on the thread, they might not have been following it as closely as you think.  The mod who gave Dodece the ban may have been the first to happen upon his post.  Also, you are absolutely right that Darth's post was trolling, but the mod probably saw Dodece's post and figured out that Darth was posting as a direct result of Dodece's trolling.  If I was the mod, I would give Darth a warning, telling him to respond to trolls in a more constructive fashion, and banned Dodece because his trolling was unprovoked. 

Starcraft isn't a fanboy.

He's my IDOL!

But seriously, lots of people, myself included, call/called Starcraft a fanboy, because it's the only thing you can scream when someone makes a very good statement against your console of choice, and you feel the need to defend it.

By calling someone a fanboy, you drop the subject at hand, while the person you called a fanboy is busy defending themselves, and you win, since the argument has changed.

+1 to Rolstoppable.

Why do you have so much win?

one thing you must learn starcraft, you expect too much from fanboys. Just like you express so much passion for MS, they do they it too. You must set the bar low, thus you'll never be dissapointed. you see, i am rarly surprised by some comments because i expect them. I get call a fanboy everyday, and once last week a nintendo fanboy. There's one user who goes searching for threads when i disagree with either nintendo or ms, while i mostly bash Sony, but they cant see that.
Get over yourself, you just like us, with better grammar though.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)