By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

gebx said:
DOATS1 said:
i think it's a bit ignorant to claim that sony 'fanboys' have a vendetta against you when this site is predominantly nintendo, and the 2 people that have actually banned you probably favour sony the least out of the big 3. people are bitter towards you the same reasons they're bitter to every other raging fanboy on this site; because you're one too.

the fact that you make threads like this claiming sony fans are out to get you doesn't help your defence either.

I would believe you if every negative 360 post didn't have PS3 fanboys replying with "Where's Starcraft?" and "I wonder how he'll spin this one?"

He's actually called out to reply.. things get out of control and then he gets banned while everyone else gets away with it.

Its absolute BS..

you see, this is just classic. it couldn't be possible that they attack him because he actually does spin everything against sony in favour of 360. every sony fan must be against him for no actual reason.

crazzyman gets attacked because he is regarded as a fanboy, girl gamer got attacked and banned for the same reason. fanboys get attacked, simple as. there are other pro ms members on this site, why don't they get attacked by sony fans?

there is a reason for why sony fans are so bitter towards him. if you can't see that within his posts, then there is no other proof that i can provide.

Around the Network
Hawkeye said:
Gender and Fanboyism aren't really the same. Gender is how society treats the sexes. For example, women traditionally stay home and take care of the kids. This is becuase in the past (and in parts of the world today) Families have many children, and since men are physically stronger and women have breasts, it was/is more efficient for men to go out and do physical labor while women stay home and take care of the babies and children. In modern day society, this is changing as there are smaller families and intelligence is valued more highly than physical prowess.

Being a fanboy is your own opinion, and it can be changed. For example, I used to be a diehard Nintendo fan, but after playing my friends Xbox 360 and buying a PSP, I am able to recognize that all 3 console makers offer good, fun products.

So basically, long held cultural bias does not equal against women does not equate to personal bias against a console. Why? People are fanboys becuase it protects them from ego bruises that there console of choice is getting wooped in the market place, while sexism is largely due to long held biases that are passed down and taught to children. For example, barbie teaches young girls that being beautiful is more important than being smart, which is a holdover from the 20th century...

But fanboyism has been around as long as Nintendo has had competition in the console space (arguably longer).  Feminism is being used as a metaphor in this topic, so I don't want to delve to far into it.  That said, you wont find many feminists that will agree with the comments I bolded.

First and foremost, I haven't ever met a feminist (and I study social theory, so I meet a lot of them) that believes cultural imbalances between the sexes are derived from traditional "efficient" distribution of roles.  I'm not a feminist by any stretch of the imagination, but even I acknowledge that for millenia there has been an irrational, unfair and entrenched system of double standards and surpressing of women purely to 'further' male interests.

Taking that within the fanboyism debate, the correlation is the fact that patriarchalism was allowed to survive because of perceptions based on other perceptions based on traditions.  Which is exactly like the cultural construction of fanboyism. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DOATS1 said:
i think it's a bit ignorant to claim that sony 'fanboys' have a vendetta against you when this site is predominantly nintendo, and the 2 people that have actually banned you probably favour sony the least out of the big 3. people are bitter towards you the same reasons they're bitter to every other raging fanboy on this site; because you're one too.

the fact that you make threads like this claiming sony fans are out to get you doesn't help your defence either.

See this is yet another post that I feel perpetuates the problem VGC (and other gaming websites) is facing.  Rather than engaging with the subject matter, you falsely state that I am "claiming" sony fans have a vendetta against me, and don't stop to think about WHERE you got the idea that I am a fanboy.

Think carefully.  Can you remember the time you first called me a fanboy?  Was it based on a post I made or an opinion I stated?  Or, more likely, did you simply allow yourself to be subtely influenced by the culture within this site that allows someone to be labelled and branded without any factual basis for a label or brand? 

Torillian said:
I am floored that you are defending Dodece's post. His ban was the most deserved I've seen in a while. His post called alot of users illogical and likened myself and others to adults who worship Barney. He directly insulted myself and others, with absolutely no provocation. What was asked was why GTAIV wasn't selling so fantastically to PS3 owners in NA, and Dodece responded with a post calling PS3 owners, for lack of better wording, retarded.

I'll look into yours, but Dodece's ban was well deserved.

Hmmm.  See here is the thing.  Dodoce made a post that didn't specifically attack anyone, stating that from his perspective, he couldn't justify purchasing a PS3, and couldnt understand how someone else could justify said purchase either.  You realize that he clearly stated he was talking about PS3 owners who purchased their console last year, when there were few compelling titles out or on the near horizon?

And I see nothing in his post that even approaches comparison with the word "retarded."

Dodoce's post would have gone completely unnoticed by mods were it not for a number of people repeatedely calling him a troll and a fanboy upon reading (and I'm sure, misreading) his post.  As such, it was not Dodoce's post that resulted in a ban being necessary, it was the irrational and indecent response to it from other posters.  Unfortunately, the mod that banned Dodoce got caught up in the argument and felt that the ban should fall on a person whos comments were not extreme in the slightest and were blatantly misrepresented.

Imperial said:
In all honesty Mr craft has deserved some of the bans given to him but I don't see any adequet justification for his most recent ban.

I've noticed some Nintendo fans who troll to an even greater extent IMO , at least Starcraft actualy justifies and supports his opinions.
Thanks. I try.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DOATS1 said:

See this is yet another post that I feel perpetuates the problem VGC (and other gaming websites) is facing.  Rather than engaging with the subject matter, you falsely state that I am "claiming" sony fans have a vendetta against me, and don't stop to think about WHERE you got the idea that I am a fanboy.

Think carefully.  Can you remember the time you first called me a fanboy?  Was it based on a post I made or an opinion I stated?  Or, more likely, did you simply allow yourself to be subtely influenced by the culture within this site that allows someone to be labelled and branded without any factual basis for a label or brand? 

i'm calling you a fanboy from past experiences with you, personally. i ain't following any "culture".  i'm calling you a fanboy because i think that you're a fanboy. you can disagree with me all you want, make structured essays that explain the social construction of fanboyism, like it's some kind of important issue, whatever you want. all of it just makes me think you're a fanboy trying to justify why you aren't one, when all you could do is just cut the crap.

it's the way you spin things that mainly forms my opinion of you being a fanboy. this thread is one whole big spin.

starcraft said:
Torillian said:
I am floored that you are defending Dodece's post. His ban was the most deserved I've seen in a while. His post called alot of users illogical and likened myself and others to adults who worship Barney. He directly insulted myself and others, with absolutely no provocation. What was asked was why GTAIV wasn't selling so fantastically to PS3 owners in NA, and Dodece responded with a post calling PS3 owners, for lack of better wording, retarded.

I'll look into yours, but Dodece's ban was well deserved.

Hmmm. See here is the thing. Dodoce made a post that didn't specifically attack anyone, stating that from his perspective, he couldn't justify purchasing a PS3, and couldnt understand how someone else could justify said purchase either. You realize that he clearly stated he was talking about PS3 owners who purchased their console last year, when there were few compelling titles out or on the near horizon?

And I see nothing in his post that even approaches comparison with the word "retarded."

Dodoce's post would have gone completely unnoticed by mods were it not for a number of people repeatedely calling him a troll and a fanboy upon reading (and I'm sure, misreading) his post. As such, it was not Dodoce's post that resulted in a ban being necessary, it was the irrational and indecent response to it from other posters. Unfortunately, the mod that banned Dodoce got caught up in the argument and felt that the ban should fall on a person whos comments were not extreme in the slightest and were blatantly misrepresented.

Platform criticism. Posts slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.

Also take a look at another of his 'constructive' posts before he was banned:

"I wonder what would compel anyone to hope for this title to have sales success. That would send the wrong message to developers. The title is of questionable quality. The question being is there actually any quality apparently. Were the title to succeed developers would draw the following inferences. Those gamers that own PS3s do not care about game quality, aren't very bright, or very inattentive. They will also believe advertising the game is more important the good word of mouth.

Developers will take these lessons to heart. Spend less money on developing the game, and more talking about it, and running commercials. They will probably ignore making the game play well, and instead focus on only making it look good for commercials. Games on the PS3 will get worse.

When poorly made games win its the gamers that lose. Your rooting for your gaming experience to go to shit. Exclusive or not there are plenty of decent games on the PS3 worthy of being rewarded. Seriously develop a sense of self worth. Do you see 360 owners hoping that Circle of Doom will sell over a million copies in its lifetime. Hell its kind of sad that it has sold over a quarter million. Are you seeing Wii owners pulling of Avatar the Last Airbender? Both games have similar rankings.

Were this title to actually succeed in surpassing those titles, and to approach a million it would be a strong proof that those that own PS3s have no discernible taste. Even I don't think that is the case, but for developers it will be apparent if this title ends up selling close to a million copies."

DOATS1 said:

I'm calling you a fanboy from past experiences with you, personally. i ain't following any "culture". i'm calling you a fanboy because i think that you're a fanboy. you can disagree with me all you want, make structured essays that explain the social construction of fanboyism, like it's some kind of important issue, whatever you want. all of it just makes me think you're a fanboy trying to justify why you aren't one, when all you could do is just cut the crap.

it's the way you spin things that mainly forms my opinion of you being a fanboy. this thread is one whole big spin.

Life must be very difficult for you, seeing things in such a cynical black and white.

Shameless said:

Platform criticism. Posts slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
Substance. Content is king. Threads lacking content can and will be locked. Some tips to keep you and your posts out of trouble:
  • Do not post only that Item A sucks, or that Item B is better than Item C. Give reasons why, post links to documented problems, of screenshots, or whatever you can. Similarly, do not reply to other posters with "you're wrong." Explain why you disagree, and perhaps point to the correct answer.

starcraft said:
Life must be very difficult for you, seeing things in such a cynical black and white.

*sigh*

couldn't think of a better reply?

end of discussion