By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

We are all fanboys, the reason i dont have a problem with starcraft is the fact he always makes sense, while wrong, and he backs off his claims. I think he gets a bad rap for the wrong reasons. I love the way he spin his beliefs, i really feel bad for the somewhat trolling repution he's gotten.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
starcraft said:
Shameless said:

Platform criticism. Posts slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
Substance. Content is king. Threads lacking content can and will be locked. Some tips to keep you and your posts out of trouble:
  • Do not post only that Item A sucks, or that Item B is better than Item C. Give reasons why, post links to documented problems, of screenshots, or whatever you can. Similarly, do not reply to other posters with "you're wrong." Explain why you disagree, and perhaps point to the correct answer.

I think you'll find my reply to be applicable to your post whereas your's isn't. Unless you're implying this thread should be locked which is, indeed, correct.

DOATS1 said:
starcraft said:
Life must be very difficult for you, seeing things in such a cynical black and white.

*sigh*

couldn't think of a better reply?

end of discussion

Lol.  What response would elicit any sort of engaging with the issue from you.  You've have categorically and unanimously fallen into every pitfall this thread discusses.  You firmly believe that I am a fanboy, but won't provide any evidence to forward that notion, presumably because you believe your ideas are beyond reproach.

You fail to see that it is technically impossible for a person to completely distance themselves from the culture around them.  The best they can do is recognise that cultures attributes and work to balance them out, but you failed to do either of those things as well.

You believe that any evidence I provide will represent only "spin" from a "fanboy," thereby convincing yourself that one social construction can define and bolster another social construction, to the detriment of any other idea or piece of evidence you may be confronted with.

So tell me, please.  What reply could I have given that would have been "better?" 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Torillian said:
I am floored that you are defending Dodece's post. His ban was the most deserved I've seen in a while. His post called alot of users illogical and likened myself and others to adults who worship Barney. He directly insulted myself and others, with absolutely no provocation. What was asked was why GTAIV wasn't selling so fantastically to PS3 owners in NA, and Dodece responded with a post calling PS3 owners, for lack of better wording, retarded.

I'll look into yours, but Dodece's ban was well deserved.

Hmmm.  See here is the thing.  Dodoce made a post that didn't specifically attack anyone, stating that from his perspective, he couldn't justify purchasing a PS3, and couldnt understand how someone else could justify said purchase either.  You realize that he clearly stated he was talking about PS3 owners who purchased their console last year, when there were few compelling titles out or on the near horizon?

And I see nothing in his post that even approaches comparison with the word "retarded."

Dodoce's post would have gone completely unnoticed by mods were it not for a number of people repeatedely calling him a troll and a fanboy upon reading (and I'm sure, misreading) his post.  As such, it was not Dodoce's post that resulted in a ban being necessary, it was the irrational and indecent response to it from other posters.  Unfortunately, the mod that banned Dodoce got caught up in the argument and felt that the ban should fall on a person whos comments were not extreme in the slightest and were blatantly misrepresented.

But you say his post incited trolling.  So then are you calling Darth's comment about how he can't understand people buying a console that is going to break as trolling?  And if so why, because to me that's the exactly the same thing.

Yes, I know he was talking about PS3 owners who had bought the system in 2007, want to take a random guess when I bought mine?

And it's not just what he said, but as all our Mothers use to say, how he said it.  There are alot of incomprehensible things out there, he could've said he doesn't understand the logic of those PS3 owners just like he doesn't understand string theory, but he chose to go with something demeaning and insulting.

You say his post would have gone unnoticed, but I most certainly would have reported his post if I had been in the thread before his ban, it's not just replies that get the attention of the mods.

psrock said:
We are all fanboys, the reason i dont have a problem with starcraft is the fact he always makes sense, while wrong, and he backs off his claims. I think he gets a bad rap for the wrong reasons. I love the way he spin his beliefs, i really feel bad for the somewhat trolling repution he's gotten.

Around the Network
Shameless said:
starcraft said:
Shameless said:

Platform criticism. Posts slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
Substance. Content is king. Threads lacking content can and will be locked. Some tips to keep you and your posts out of trouble:
  • Do not post only that Item A sucks, or that Item B is better than Item C. Give reasons why, post links to documented problems, of screenshots, or whatever you can. Similarly, do not reply to other posters with "you're wrong." Explain why you disagree, and perhaps point to the correct answer.

I think you'll find my reply to be applicable to your post whereas your's isn't. Unless you're implying this thread should be locked which is, indeed, correct.

I assumed you were applying your post to Dodoce's post we were just discussing.  I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption. 

If you were talking about my post, which part of it unduly attacked a platform?

And why should this thread be locked? 

starcraft said:
Munkeh111 said:
You are regarded as the Xbox 360 fanboy, almost a token fanboy, so you are used whenever someone is looking how M$ will spin something. Anyway, ignore rock_on, his threads are plain stupid much of the time

But thats just it.  I wasn't labelled an Xbox 360 fanboy until I disagreed with a certain group of PS3 fans.

That lends itself to what I feel is the very real possibility that most fanboyism (if not all) is socially constructed rather than based in any real notion of reality.  For example, have you ever seen what happens when I ask a Sony fan to provide links proving whatever ridiculous claim they are making about my posting history?

First of all you probably weren't labeled as anything before because there weren't enough people around to contradict your opinion. From what you have conveyed, 360 fans were more the norm before.

Secondly, you can't expect people to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to find where and when you said something. If you say something, don't be surprised when you're held accountable, because I'm betting 9 out of 10 times the "ridiculous claim" had a source.

Torillian said:
starcraft said:
Torillian said:
I am floored that you are defending Dodece's post. His ban was the most deserved I've seen in a while. His post called alot of users illogical and likened myself and others to adults who worship Barney. He directly insulted myself and others, with absolutely no provocation. What was asked was why GTAIV wasn't selling so fantastically to PS3 owners in NA, and Dodece responded with a post calling PS3 owners, for lack of better wording, retarded.

I'll look into yours, but Dodece's ban was well deserved.

Hmmm. See here is the thing. Dodoce made a post that didn't specifically attack anyone, stating that from his perspective, he couldn't justify purchasing a PS3, and couldnt understand how someone else could justify said purchase either. You realize that he clearly stated he was talking about PS3 owners who purchased their console last year, when there were few compelling titles out or on the near horizon?

And I see nothing in his post that even approaches comparison with the word "retarded."

Dodoce's post would have gone completely unnoticed by mods were it not for a number of people repeatedely calling him a troll and a fanboy upon reading (and I'm sure, misreading) his post. As such, it was not Dodoce's post that resulted in a ban being necessary, it was the irrational and indecent response to it from other posters. Unfortunately, the mod that banned Dodoce got caught up in the argument and felt that the ban should fall on a person whos comments were not extreme in the slightest and were blatantly misrepresented.

But you say his post incited trolling. So then are you calling Darth's comment about how he can't understand people buying a console that is going to break as trolling? And if so why, because to me that's the exactly the same thing.

Yes, I know he was talking about PS3 owners who had bought the system in 2007, want to take a random guess when I bought mine?

And it's not just what he said, but as all our Mothers use to say, how he said it. There are alot of incomprehensible things out there, he could've said he doesn't understand the logic of those PS3 owners just like he doesn't understand string theory, but he chose to go with something demeaning and insulting.

You say his post would have gone unnoticed, but I most certainly would have reported his post if I had been in the thread before his ban, it's not just replies that get the attention of the mods.

But thats the thing, many mods posted in the thread BEFORE Dodoce was banned but AFTER he posted his comment.  The comment DID go unnoticed until all the trolling began.  Again, I fail to see where he was nearly as insulting as you claim.  Do I consider Darth's comment to be trolling?  You mean the part where he implied ALL Xbox 360's will break or the part where he compared ALL Xbox 360 owners to people that buy dishwashers they KNOW will break within a month?

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
starcraft said:
Munkeh111 said:
You are regarded as the Xbox 360 fanboy, almost a token fanboy, so you are used whenever someone is looking how M$ will spin something. Anyway, ignore rock_on, his threads are plain stupid much of the time

But thats just it. I wasn't labelled an Xbox 360 fanboy until I disagreed with a certain group of PS3 fans.

That lends itself to what I feel is the very real possibility that most fanboyism (if not all) is socially constructed rather than based in any real notion of reality. For example, have you ever seen what happens when I ask a Sony fan to provide links proving whatever ridiculous claim they are making about my posting history?

First of all you probably weren't labeled as anything before because there weren't enough people around to contradict your opinion. From what you have conveyed, 360 fans were more the norm before.

Secondly, you can't expect people to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to find where and when you said something. If you say something, don't be surprised when you're held accountable, because I'm betting 9 out of 10 times the "ridiculous claim" had a source.

Actually, VGC (from the year or so I've been here) was never 360-fan heavy.  Its only recently that 360 fans seem to have been specifically targeted by a few aggressive users though.

I don't feel anyone should spend a ridiculous amount of time doing anything unless it is important to them.  But some Sony fans DO devote a ridiculous amount of time to calling me a fanboy and attacking me rather than my subject matter.  You would think that if me being a fanboy wasn't a social construction and the evidence that I am a fanboy really was as abundant as some claim it to be, those same Sony fans would save themselves a tonne of time, and find those two or three links that presumably would force me to shut my trap.

starcraft said:
Torillian said:
starcraft said:
Torillian said:

But you say his post incited trolling. So then are you calling Darth's comment about how he can't understand people buying a console that is going to break as trolling? And if so why, because to me that's the exactly the same thing.

And it's not just what he said, but as all our Mothers use to say, how he said it. There are alot of incomprehensible things out there, he could've said he doesn't understand the logic of those PS3 owners just like he doesn't understand string theory, but he chose to go with something demeaning and insulting.

But thats the thing, many mods posted in the thread BEFORE Dodoce was banned but AFTER he posted his comment.  The comment DID go unnoticed until all the trolling began.  Again, I fail to see where he was nearly as insulting as you claim.  Do I consider Darth's comment to be trolling?  You mean the part where he implied ALL Xbox 360's will break or the part where he compared ALL Xbox 360 owners to people that buy dishwashers they KNOW will break within a month?

But what Darth did is exactly what Dodece did, almost word for word.  He said that there were no good games on the PS3 in 2007 (an opinion) and then proceeded to compare any PS3 owner who bought the system in 2007 like adults who worship Barney.  I can't believe you aren't seeing the parallels.

Just because Dodece kept his insults to a smaller group of people doesn't make his comments acceptable.