By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

DMeisterJ said:
To be fair, Starcraft's comment had a smiley (wink) after it, I would have taken it as a joke, which I did when I first saw that comment. But I can see how if you take the wink out, it's clearly trolling.

Sorry, but the wink really didn't stop him from insulting a lot of people.  This is the internet, and sarcasm doesn't work all that well here unless you are named RolStoppable.  Unfortunately a wink can just as easily be interpreted as mocking, and yes, post history is a factor in all bans.  Repeat offenses create longer bans.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
DMeisterJ said:
To be fair, Starcraft's comment had a smiley (wink) after it, I would have taken it as a joke, which I did when I first saw that comment. But I can see how if you take the wink out, it's clearly trolling.

Sorry, but the wink really didn't stop him from insulting a lot of people.  This is the internet, and sarcasm doesn't work all that well here unless you are named RolStoppable.  

I mean, I know.

I was just trying to make sure that everyone knows that it could have been interpreted in another way.

DMeisterJ said:
naznatips said:
DMeisterJ said:

Sorry, but the wink really didn't stop him from insulting a lot of people.  This is the internet, and sarcasm doesn't work all that well here unless you are named RolStoppable.  

I mean, I know.

I was just trying to make sure that everyone knows that it could have been interpreted in another way.

I have to interpret things.  It's my job to interpret things, and yeah, your post history effects my perception of you and your intentions in any comment.  If you've been banned a lot for anti-PS3 comments, of course that's going to effect how I (and others) interpret the things you post.  Since by our current system repeat offenses of the same crime result in continuously harsher punishment, I have to take your post history into account with everything you do.  We keep a pretty good record of warnings and bans on the mod boards, and I go through those records every time I take an action outside of a warning.

I'm not saying I'm flawless.  Hardly, but I have to make judgements to the best of my ability, as does every other moderator on these forums.  If you are really struggling with why you were banned, message me or email mods@vgchartz.com, but if you are messaging me in an insulting or aggressive manner that as well will effect the outcome of the conversation.   I post every ban I make on the moderator forums, and the other mods are able to and will read them.  We try to post every single ban and warning on there, so if an action is considered unfair, it will be discussed and can in fact be overturned.  My interpretation of Starcraft's post was that it was an insult to the PS3.  If that wasn't your intention, I appologize, but you still need to learn to post in a way that won't piss off every single person who owns that particular platform.

naznatips said:
starcraft said:

“Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

From this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27626

Now whether you believe my assertion that that was a jab at Ubisoft’s poor attempt at making the game, or think I was ‘attacking’ the PS3, this comment is hardly a ban-able offense. However, by his own admission, naznatips did not act in a vacuum, he was reacting to his ‘perception’ that I am a fanboy that was trying to ‘troll.’

I will provide a few examples and then I will leave the solution till part two. Whilst I was banned Dodoce, a poster that almost universally posts only logic-based, well thought out opinions also received a ban for his comment in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28019

What got him banned wasn’t his comment, which was completely unbannable, but the reaction too it:

Addressing these two sections:

You're comment was directly anti-PS3, while the other comments were directly anti-Haze. I'm very sorry that you can't see the difference, but it's my job to be able to see the difference. Here are some examples of the comments before yours:

If it does, at least us PS3 fans can say we arent the only ones to have to suffer the embarassment of Haze on our consoles...

No thanks. Given how Haze turned out it would be like PS3 owners getting a port of Bomberman: Act Zero.

I'm happy now , they won't be able to call it Lair 2.

SPREAD THE SHAME !!!

Haze is never going into my 360...

Now here is your comment starcraft:

Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

Surely I am not the only one who sees a difference in the content of those posts. While everyone else had fun screwing around with a bad game, you took it as an opportunity to blatantly insult the PS3. Whether that was your intention or not, you insulted a lot of forum members (your post was reported 3 times in fact).

I'd now like you to show where I said anything like the highlighted portion of your first statement. I am giving you permission to post private messages between you and me to provide evidence of this. I have never called you a fanboy or a troll, but I have banned you and warned you specifically for the action of "trolling."

Second, I will address Dodece's ban. I am not the moderator who banned Dodece, but as Forum Administrator I also take responsibility for the actions of the moderators. Dodece was banned for a lengthy post best summarized as "there is no logical reason to enjoy games on the PS3." He called an entire group of system owners completely illogical for having a different opinion than him.

If you don't see the problem with this (or your own) post, I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do to explain to you how to be respectful, polite, and act socially responsible on these forums. If you continue to behave like that, or post things like that last post of Dodece's, you will continue to be banned for longer and longer until you are permanently banned.

As for the other comments in the topic with Dodece, I'm sure they weren't read because they weren't reported. We don't have time to read every post in a topic. If you see something that is insulting, report it. I can't stress this enough, as everytime I ban or warn someone I get comments of "But he did this" and I have to reply with "Why didn't you report this?" I can't read everything on the forums. Use the report button.

a winner is you. i really don't see how this can be argued, i honestly think the problem is starcrafts blurred perception. if he cannot admit to being at least a fanboy (if not a troll) despite tons and tons of proof, then perhaps starcraft is the problem.

Hey starcraft, you do seem like a reasonable person, and i like a different point of view on this site. I just see the game communities support of Nintendo to be motivated by the fact that they are the last original games console maker. And i also see Sony fanboyism attributable to the fact that they, while not always a console maker, have always created electronics hardware. I think the reason for the anti microsoft opinions is that by some they are still seen as invaders to the gaming hardware industry. I will admit those are the reasons i prefer Nintendo and Sony.

However, i am scared that as much attention you used to receive in people calling you a troll, it will now be MUCH higher purely cuz they know it got to you, thats always the way bulling works. Hope I'm wrong cuz you seem quite reasonable.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network
naznatips said:
starcraft said:

“Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

From this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27626

Now whether you believe my assertion that that was a jab at Ubisoft’s poor attempt at making the game, or think I was ‘attacking’ the PS3, this comment is hardly a ban-able offense. However, by his own admission, naznatips did not act in a vacuum, he was reacting to his ‘perception’ that I am a fanboy that was trying to ‘troll.’

I will provide a few examples and then I will leave the solution till part two. Whilst I was banned Dodoce, a poster that almost universally posts only logic-based, well thought out opinions also received a ban for his comment in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28019

What got him banned wasn’t his comment, which was completely unbannable, but the reaction too it:

Addressing these two sections:

You're comment was directly anti-PS3, while the other comments were directly anti-Haze. I'm very sorry that you can't see the difference, but it's my job to be able to see the difference. Here are some examples of the comments before yours:

If it does, at least us PS3 fans can say we arent the only ones to have to suffer the embarassment of Haze on our consoles...

No thanks. Given how Haze turned out it would be like PS3 owners getting a port of Bomberman: Act Zero.

I'm happy now , they won't be able to call it Lair 2.

SPREAD THE SHAME !!!

Haze is never going into my 360...

Now here is your comment starcraft:

Lets see if the game is any better on a console capable of running it in HD.............

Surely I am not the only one who sees a difference in the content of those posts. While everyone else had fun screwing around with a bad game, you took it as an opportunity to blatantly insult the PS3. Whether that was your intention or not, you insulted a lot of forum members (your post was reported 3 times in fact).

I'd now like you to show where I said anything like the highlighted portion of your first statement. I am giving you permission to post private messages between you and me to provide evidence of this. I have never called you a fanboy or a troll, but I have banned you and warned you specifically for the action of "trolling."

Second, I will address Dodece's ban. I am not the moderator who banned Dodece, but as Forum Administrator I also take responsibility for the actions of the moderators. Dodece was banned for a lengthy post best summarized as "there is no logical reason to enjoy games on the PS3." He called an entire group of system owners completely illogical for having a different opinion than him.

If you don't see the problem with this (or your own) post, I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do to explain to you how to be respectful, polite, and act socially responsible on these forums. If you continue to behave like that, or post things like that last post of Dodece's, you will continue to be banned for longer and longer until you are permanently banned.

As for the other comments in the topic with Dodece, I'm sure they weren't read because they weren't reported. We don't have time to read every post in a topic. If you see something that is insulting, report it. I can't stress this enough, as everytime I ban or warn someone I get comments of "But he did this" and I have to reply with "Why didn't you report this?" I can't read everything on the forums. Use the report button.

But you removed something from my post naznatips, the wink at the end.  I viewed that post as an attack on Ubisofts horrible attempt to make a AAA game on the PS3.  Even if you took it as otherwise, the post is in no way inflammatory.

Especially taken within the well-known context and wider debate over the fact that NEITHER 'HD' console is capable of running all its games in actual 'HD.'

"For some reason if this is true i think the reviews are going to go up.

And if not the x360 version will get really good reviews even if nothing is changed based on some stupid random crap."

That right there is an example of an equally trollish post that came BEFORE mine.  Do I believe its banworthy? Absolutely not.  As you said you are a forum administrator, surely you have some discretion with regard to whether the number of times a post is reported influencing whether a member recieves a ban (let-alone a week-long one).  I did not forget that you told me that post had been reported 3 times when I wrote this thread.  Quite the contrary, its another example of the argument I'm making about the social construction that is fanboyism.  

Would those three people have reported such a simple post had I not been a "reputable" fanboy?  Would you have paid any attention to said post had I not been a "reputable" fanboy?

As for Dodoce?  There were at least three mods in that thread.  When a mod is about to ban a long time poster, surely a quick perusal of the posters that (apparently) reported him isn't too much to ask?  I don't feel his post was a banworthy.  If it was, those that followed certainly were. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

RolStoppable said:

The main purpose of this thread is still you wanting to find an excuse for yourself why you are constantly under attack on this forum. I am not saying that all of the things people say about you are tolerable, because some of them clearly aren't, especially in the threads you haven't even posted in. But the main issue is still that the cause for this hatred towards your person is your very own posting history which contains some obvious trolling.

I concede that you did a good job in defending yourself in regards to the quotes Shameless posted, but one particular "defense" backfires and shows that your comment in the Mario Kart Wii thread was nothing other than trolling.

"Microsoft should be insulted that BBC compared a Killzone game to Halo......"

No defense necessary, Metacritic does the work for me here.

If you rely on Metacritic for your defense, Metacritic shall also be the judge for this comment of yours:

It is extremely rare for an awesome game to come out this generation that isn't available on the Xbox 360. It's only happened twice in my country, first with Zelda TP and second with Super Mario Galaxy.

Instead of looking for a complicated explanation on why you are getting attacked by other members, you should be looking for the simpliest explanation. Those who are handing out insults (intentional or not) also have to be able to handle incoming insults. Stop playing the victim, because you aren't innocent at all.

AHHHHH.  But here is the thing.  I list the Wii's Metacritic AAA numbers in my sig, and Brawl isn't out in my country, whilst Metroid saw a limited release and is now sold out and I haven't found a copy I can buy in 4 months.............

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

RolStoppable said:
Torillian said:
I am floored that you are defending Dodece's post. His ban was the most deserved I've seen in a while. His post called alot of users illogical and likened myself and others to adults who worship Barney. He directly insulted myself and others, with absolutely no provocation. What was asked was why GTAIV wasn't selling so fantastically to PS3 owners in NA, and Dodece responded with a post calling PS3 owners, for lack of better wording, retarded.

I'll look into yours, but Dodece's ban was well deserved.

I completely agree with this.

Same. Dodeces ban was completely justified.

Am I the only one who finds it absolutely histarical following the chronicles of starcraft and those who continually bicker with him? Good show, mate, good show.

i like how people think putting a wink in their post somehow exempts them from forums rules.

BCNR34 said:
i like how people think putting a wink in their post somehow exempts them from forums rules.

I think the issue is not the use or not of a wink, but how entirely out of character a comment is.  Rolstoppable gets away with sarcasm because it's usually crazy sarcasm that's obviously not meant to be taken seriously.  Starcraft, on the other hand, takes a comment like "see if it's better on a console that can run it in HD" and simply puts a wink at the end.  Starcraft poking fun at PS3 for not being able to run the game in HD is definitely not outside of the realm of possibility, and therefore people are more likely to take it as serious, instead of taking it as sarcasm or a joke.