By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Social Construction of Fanboyism: Part 1, the Problem.

I can see who files each report Starcraft and yes, I take that into account too.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
DMeisterJ said:
naznatips said:
DMeisterJ said:
To be fair, Starcraft's comment had a smiley (wink) after it, I would have taken it as a joke, which I did when I first saw that comment. But I can see how if you take the wink out, it's clearly trolling.

Sorry, but the wink really didn't stop him from insulting a lot of people. This is the internet, and sarcasm doesn't work all that well here unless you are named RolStoppable.

I mean, I know.

I was just trying to make sure that everyone knows that it could have been interpreted in another way.

I have to interpret things. It's my job to interpret things, and yeah, your post history effects my perception of you and your intentions in any comment. If you've been banned a lot for anti-PS3 comments, of course that's going to effect how I (and others) interpret the things you post. Since by our current system repeat offenses of the same crime result in continuously harsher punishment, I have to take your post history into account with everything you do. We keep a pretty good record of warnings and bans on the mod boards, and I go through those records every time I take an action outside of a warning.

I'm not saying I'm flawless. Hardly, but I have to make judgements to the best of my ability, as does every other moderator on these forums. If you are really struggling with why you were banned, message me or email mods@vgchartz.com, but if you are messaging me in an insulting or aggressive manner that as well will effect the outcome of the conversation. I post every ban I make on the moderator forums, and the other mods are able to and will read them. We try to post every single ban and warning on there, so if an action is considered unfair, it will be discussed and can in fact be overturned. My interpretation of Starcraft's post was that it was an insult to the PS3. If that wasn't your intention, I appologize, but you still need to learn to post in a way that won't piss off every single person who owns that particular platform.

But thats what this thread is about naznatips.  Whether people are labelled fanboys and anti-this console, anti-that console based purely on propagation of that idea or because they really do hate a console.  For example, I have never denied (as it would be stupid to do so) that I am very pro Xbox 360.  But I really don't think there exists some formidable post history of unprovoked anti-PS3 opinions that turn a post that was borderline and had people posting all over my wall asking why I got banned into a week-long ban.

A week gone got me a chance to equaint myself with Mario Kart, but I still think that a PM explaining that last line, that you believed I was too close to the line and had to step back, would be far more just than a one-week ban.  I PM'd you from the Starcraft1 account, and I apologize if I was "insulting or aggressive" in my manner.  I assure you I  wasn't trying to be.  But you implied (at least I think you implied) that if I continued PM'ing you my ban would be extended, so I didn't PM you again.  At the time, I had no idea that you were banning me because I was pissingoff "every single person who owns that particular platform."  All I had to go on was the word trolling that you put on my profile.  So instead I went off, went to uni, played Mariokart, ate a lot, played Mariokart, saw Indiana Jones (sucked) and then came home one day to write this article, feeling it was a far more viable conclusion.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

You were banned 7 days because your last ban was 5 days, and bans are progressive as I've mentioned.

I said very specifically "if you continue to argue" your ban would be extended, because your first post was argumentative, not explanatory. Explanatory = good, argumentative = bad.  Notice you haven't been warned or banned for creating this topic, which I am willingly discussing with you.

Side note: Why didn't you like Indiana Jones? I thought it was quite entertaining.

O RLY?

i think i am ready for part 2.

part 1 answer: Reputation follows you around, thus starcraft being the victim.
part 2: ?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
starcraft said:

AHHHHH. But here is the thing. I list the Wii's Metacritic AAA numbers in my sig, and Brawl isn't out in my country, whilst Metroid saw a limited release and is now sold out and I haven't found a copy I can buy in 4 months.............

I can't believe that instead of simply admitting that your comment was trolling, you actually choose to defend a helpless cause. Just because you weren't able to buy a copy of Corruption for whatever reason doesn't take away the fact that the game has been released in Australia.

What I can't believe is that "context" (as in a supposedely anti-PS3 post history) can be used to PROVE trolling, but that a throwaway joke in an OVERWHELMINGLY PRO-NINTENDO thread can't be used as proof against trolling. 

Of all the cherry-picking.......... 

naznatips said:
You were banned 7 days because your last ban was 5 days, and bans are progressive as I've mentioned.

I said very specifically "if you continue to argue" your ban would be extended, because your first post was argumentative, not explanatory. Explanatory = good, argumentative = bad. Notice you haven't been warned or banned for creating this topic, which I am willingly discussing with you.

Side note: Why didn't you like Indiana Jones? I thought it was quite entertaining.

Actually my last ban was 7 days I think?

Want me to leave for another two?  (JOKES PEOPLE)

How many two day incremental increases do I get before I am permabanned?

Side note:  I didn't feel like Indiana was constantly threatened like I did in the earlier films.  Honestly, all I liked about it was the throwback lines/themes/characters from the old films.  The people I went with hadn't seen the original trilogy and they thought Crystal Skull was horrible.  There was nothing in it for them.

I also didn't like the lack of realism in the ending.  In the past the films had earth-based mythological plots, but the aliens thing sucked. SPOILER IN THE BLACK!!!!!

psrock said:

At the request of a mod (guess who), the second part to this thread will not be posted.

Thats right people, what no doubt would have been an EPIC banfest will not go ahead.

You will forever be forced to wonder just what the Nintendo model really was.................

Oh, and thanks to naznatips.  I think I have a better understanding of where your coming from now sir. 

Actually after 7 it jumps to 14, then to 30, then perma is open. Mods are allowed to vary these numbers to some degree as long as they don't exceed them, and if you have an extensive history of reformed behavior, we are very willing to reset you back down to zero. Ideally, no long-time member should ever be perma-banned (only new spam accounts), but unfortunately we are often not given a choice.

No perma-ban for any member with more than 200 posts or a month on the site is EVER given without being discussed first by all the mods now, and it has to be approved by myself and DKII at the minimum, as well as a majority opinion of the other moderators. The system is designed for it to be difficult to perma-ban a long time member.

Side Note: Yeah, a friend of mine felt the same way. I dunno, maybe it was just nostalgia powered, but in general I enjoyed the whole experience.

starcraft said:
psrock said:

At the request of a mod (guess who), the second part to this thread will not be posted.

Thats right people, what no doubt would have been an EPIC banfest will not go ahead.

You will forever be forced to wonder just what the Nintendo model really was.................

Oh, and thanks to naznatips.  I think I have a better understanding of where your coming from now sir. 

!!

Aw man.

I was awaiting for Part 2.

Well, the mod didn't say anything about Part 3 did he?