By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 biggest gaming markets: 1: Asia 2: EU 3: US

Its also economy of scale. You can order more consoles in bulk when dealing with the US market. However I still think the rest of the world largely gets screwed.

Around the Network

one continent>one region>one country do not sound reasonable.

Thanks Blacksaber for the sig                  Tag:"Nintendo es toda la diversión de esta generación"

Distribution, translation, legal and other costs are higher when you are dealing with different countries.

Fido said:
Well the thing with the taxes might be true, but still with some products we pay just so much more than the americans let alone the Japanese. This can't be just because of taxes and localisation. Just for example we pay 399.- CHF in Switzerland for the Wii. CHF is almost the same as USD right now so we pay around 140 USD more for the same product. Same thing with Games where the Price is around 30 USD higher than in America (79 - 89 CHF which is 75 - 85 USD) And this is only for Wii Games, PS360 Games cost from 99 - 109 CHF!

Well, you swiss have theoretically higher costs, since your distributors propably work with the EU distributors, which causes extra toll fees. I'm not familiar with your taxing, but i'd guess it's pretty similar with EU and more likely above EU:s average. Although, even if you would be in EU, it doesn't mean that prices would be any cheaper. You have a little cheaper Wii and games, than we have in Finland, but we do too have local importer/distributor that takes its share.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

NJ5 said:
Is Asia's big number due to things such as WoW?

it might be,WoW makes alot of money

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

you're putting whole continents vs the US, billions vs millions, this makes no sense.

Yeah Really, it takes a whole 30 countries in the EU just to beat one US. That's fair.

BTW this survey is bunk, consoles sell almost zero in China, India etc. For console purpose its:

1. USA
2. EU (close battle between EU/USA for 1st/2nd, they are about equal)
3. Japan

Everything else (South Korea, Australia, Canada) is somewhat minor.

sharky said:
Yeah Really, it takes a whole 30 countries in the EU just to beat one US. That's fair.

BTW this survey is bunk, consoles sell almost zero in China, India etc. For console purpose its:

1. USA
2. EU (close battle between EU/USA for 1st/2nd, they are about equal)
3. Japan

Everything else (South Korea, Australia, Canada) is somewhat minor.

More importantly, it takes 200 million more people just to squeak by... Let's cut that by 33 million, add in Canada, and see how things pan out. The EU would still have a 170 million person lead...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Those numbers are simply wrong. It surprise me that no one pointed that out.
From my collected data (most comes from reputable tracking companies GFK, chart-track, NPD, Adese):
USA: 17.94 bln $
Canada: 1.5 bln $
That puts NA market value at almost 20 bln $.

UK: around 6.5 bln $
France: around: 3.5 bln $
Germany: there are conflicting numbers putting Germany market value from 554-1.08 bln euros (around 0.8-1.6 bln $) but higher number should be right
Spain: 1.8 bln $ (there are also other numbers but not far off)
Netherlands: around 700 mln $
Switzerland: 395 mln $
Sweden: 361 mln $ (only software)
Finland: around 120 mln $ (only software)
Norway: 113 mln $ (only software)

From Adese Annual 2007 review we can estimate Eastern Europe market value at around 13 bln euros which would put it close to NA market. However in terms of units sold NA should be higher. On the other hand Adese doesn't include all European countries so at least in value Europe should end up higher than NA.

I don't really have any data for Asia but I remember that Japanese market value is close to UK in value but Japan is higher in units.

Lots of data about European markets can be found here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=23153