By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 biggest gaming markets: 1: Asia 2: EU 3: US

Korea: MMO

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

No one was saying to compare singular European countries vs USA.

We were saying that the rest of Europe should be added (EU =! All Europe) as well as adding the rest of North America (and possibly South, but then that would be 2 continents versus singular continents)

In truth the order is probably like this:

Europe>N.America>Asia>>>>>>>Oceania>S.America>>Africa>>>Antarctica (included for completeness)

S.America might be higher than Oceania in monetary terms, but I suspect most of S.Americas sales are counted in N.America as consoles take a long time to release there officially

Rath said:
MikeB said:

LOL, I didn't even dispute the comparison was fair or not. But IMO it's far more interesting to compare EU vs US than comparing Netherlands vs United States or Liechtenstein vs United States regarding aboslute figures.

The force isn't very strong with you.

In any case, I think the report is interesting. As often people from the US claim the US gaming market is just as big or sometimes even bigger than the rest of the world combined (which is only true for NA regarding XBox and 360 sales).

I think you're missing the point still. The point they are trying to make is that the comparison is; continent vs. group of countries vs. country.

To be fair they should include all of Europe, not just the EU (and no, they are not the same thing) and all of North America (or even all of America, depending on your view of the continents).

And I didn't dispute that, I just added additional input. I think they just compared the data they have available. Hawaii is probably included in the US data, it's not part of the continent though.

When comparing markets, taking the EU as a single market environment makes sense. I would agree to take Asia as a uniform market is strange.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

you can easily make the most money in Europe, for example, the PS3 is 389 euro's (299 pounds in the UK), that's as good as 600 dollars! compared to the 400 dollars Sony makes with one console in the US.. for example

''Hadouken!''

so people say Sony is losing money on each console sold, but it greatly differs per region, in Europe they might even not make any loss per unit, or make even a profit, does anyone know more about this, whether Sony is still also losing money on it's consoles sold in Europe?

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
MikeB said:

And I didn't dispute that, I just added additional input. I think they just compared the data they have available. Hawai is probably included in the US data, it's not part of the continent though.

When comparing markets, taking the EU as a single market environment makes sense. I would agree to take Asia as a uniform market is strange.

Of course Hawaii is included in US data. Its part of the US.

Edit: @Ajax. They have very high taxes in Europe which cuts down profit margins significantly. 

I don't think this should be deemed unfair, all it shows is a lot of money was made in Europe last year. And considering most games released here already have multiple languages, it shows that the EU is treated as a market of it's own by the gaming industry, just as the US is.

People shouldn't compare populations within the markets, this just shows that more money is available to publishers that acknowledge the European market better than solely focusing on the US as their main target.

Ajax said:
you can easily make the most money in Europe, for example, the PS3 is 389 euro's (299 pounds in the UK), that's as good as 600 dollars! compared to the 400 dollars Sony makes with one console in the US.. for example

Taxes (please note that European retail prices include taxes and US retail pricing does not!) and costs (localizations, local support in native languages, etc) are also a lot higher here in Europe.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

hmm...

''Hadouken!''

Well the thing with the taxes might be true, but still with some products we pay just so much more than the americans let alone the Japanese. This can't be just because of taxes and localisation. Just for example we pay 399.- CHF in Switzerland for the Wii. CHF is almost the same as USD right now so we pay around 140 USD more for the same product. Same thing with Games where the Price is around 30 USD higher than in America (79 - 89 CHF which is 75 - 85 USD) And this is only for Wii Games, PS360 Games cost from 99 - 109 CHF!