By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 biggest gaming markets: 1: Asia 2: EU 3: US

1) Asia €7.4bn

2) European Union €7.3bn

3) United States €6.9bn

Adding the many European countries not part of the European Union the region should top Asia though.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=52505

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eu-is-second-largest-videogaming-territory 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

What does "Gaming" markets include ? could you specify please.

Is Asia's big number due to things such as WoW?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

interesting that Asia is included as a continent, then for Europe it's only the European Union, and then finally only one country is included for US.

If the comparison was fair I'm pretty sure we'd see that Asia is the smallest of the three markets.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Yeah why isn't the rest of Europe included.

Similarly what about Canada, Mexico and to a lesser extent South America.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
interesting that Asia is included as a continent, then for Europe it's only the European Union, and then finally only one country is included for US.

If the comparison was fair I'm pretty sure we'd see that Asia is the smallest of the three markets.

Combining the EU countries makes sense:

"European Union, which still has a primary task of creating and maintaining the single market. In particular it seeks to guarantee four freedoms, which relate to ensuring the free movement of goods, capital, people and services within the area."

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
omgwtfbbq said:

"European Union, which still has a primary task of creating and maintaining the single market. In particular it seeks to guarantee four freedoms, which relate to ensuring the free movement of goods, capital, people and services within the area."

Logic isn't strong with you... First of all, omgwtfbbq didn't say EU countries shouldn't be combined. Second, what's being criticized is the different criteria used in each of the three cases.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Logic isn't strong with you... First of all, omgwtfbbq didn't say EU countries shouldn't be combined. Second, what's being criticized is the different criteria used in each of the three cases.

LOL, I didn't even dispute the comparison was fair or not. But IMO it's far more interesting to compare EU vs US than comparing Netherlands vs United States or Liechtenstein vs United States regarding aboslute figures.

The force isn't very strong with you.

In any case, I think the report is interesting. As often people from the US claim the US gaming market is just as big or sometimes even bigger than the rest of the world combined (which is only true for NA regarding XBox and 360 sales).

PS3 vs 360 sales

I'm no Nintendo, MS, or Sony fanboy... but actually... I think I'm a Europe fanboy! Go Europe!

''Hadouken!''

MikeB said:

LOL, I didn't even dispute the comparison was fair or not. But IMO it's far more interesting to compare EU vs US than comparing Netherlands vs United States or Liechtenstein vs United States regarding aboslute figures.

The force isn't very strong with you.

In any case, I think the report is interesting. As often people from the US claim the US gaming market is just as big or sometimes even bigger than the rest of the world combined (which is only true for NA regarding XBox and 360 sales).

I think you're missing the point still. The point they are trying to make is that the comparison is; continent vs. group of countries vs. country. 

To be fair they should include all of Europe, not just the EU (and no, they are not the same thing) and all of North America (or even all of America, depending on your view of the continents).