By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - No Mass Effect talk on here?

So I got the game and was a little excited about it and it's a total let down.......

The story and the game by itself are fine and I could easilly see getting addicted to it ( although the controls/tutorials are not the best/easiest to learn I have seen).

But the framerate is terrible on my machine and it really hurts the experience to the point of making it not fun to play......( 1264 by 800 choppy as hell, and even 960 by 600 still isn't that great...).

ok I only have an NVIDIA 8500GT with 256M but still I was expecting better...( I got this PC 8 months ago it's not like it's a 3 year old computer).

On top of that I had to start my gaming experience on EA support forum as the game won't run on Vista if you don't disable 1 security feature....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

im gonna be getting it soon,cant wait to play it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ail said:

So I got the game and was a little excited about it and it's a total let down.......

The story and the game by itself are fine and I could easilly see getting addicted to it ( although the controls/tutorials are not the best/easiest to learn I have seen).

But the framerate is terrible on my machine and it really hurts the experience to the point of making it not fun to play......( 1264 by 800 choppy as hell, and even 960 by 600 still isn't that great...).

ok I only have an NVIDIA 8500GT with 256M but still I was expecting better...( I got this PC 8 months ago it's not like it's a 3 year old computer).

On top of that I had to start my gaming experience on EA support forum as the game won't run on Vista if you don't disable 1 security feature....

Well I think that's your problem there. That videocard is very weak. Hell I have the 8600GT (256mb) which is much stronger than yours, but I know it's weak too. I just picked it up as a cheap card last year because I needed something for my new build and didn't want to spend too much on the video card (especially when I knew that I could pick up a much better one sometime this year for probably not too much money )

http://nvnews.net/reviews/inno3d_8600gt_8500gt/page_7.shtml

"While the 8600 GT is an unexpected powerhouse more than capable of handling some of today's most demanding games at even the highest resolutions, the 8500 GT is simply underpowered with its much slower DDR2 RAM and diminished GPU core clock speeds. It would make an ideal card for gaming on resolutions below 1600x1200 with no antialiasing, however anything higher is simply going to need a more powerful card."

...and that's from a review from the middle of last year, just think how your card is with newer games! 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

On topic: Damn, so they're still using that Draconian DRM? I wanted to pick this game up for the PC too. :( I guess I'm going to have to pass and hopefully they eliminate this in the future. Same damn reason I didn't end up buying Bioshock for the PC! :( (I have the 360 ver. of Bioshock)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
Ail said:

The story and the game by itself are fine and I could easilly see getting addicted to it ( although the controls/tutorials are not the best/easiest to learn I have seen).

But the framerate is terrible on my machine and it really hurts the experience to the point of making it not fun to play......( 1264 by 800 choppy as hell, and even 960 by 600 still isn't that great...).

ok I only have an NVIDIA 8500GT with 256M but still I was expecting better...( I got this PC 8 months ago it's not like it's a 3 year old computer).

On top of that I had to start my gaming experience on EA support forum as the game won't run on Vista if you don't disable 1 security feature....

Well I think that's your problem there. That videocard is very weak. Hell I have the 8600GT (256mb) which is much stronger than yours, but I know it's weak too. I just picked it up as a cheap card last year because I needed something for my new build and didn't want to spend too much on the video card (especially when I knew that I could pick up a much better one sometime this year for probably not too much money )

http://nvnews.net/reviews/inno3d_8600gt_8500gt/page_7.shtml

"While the 8600 GT is an unexpected powerhouse more than capable of handling some of today's most demanding games at even the highest resolutions, the 8500 GT is simply underpowered with its much slower DDR2 RAM and diminished GPU core clock speeds. It would make an ideal card for gaming on resolutions below 1600x1200 with no antialiasing, however anything higher is simply going to need a more powerful card."

...and that's from a review from the middle of last year, just think how your card is with newer games! 

I know but this is a port of a 360 game, not a Crysis clone so I was expecting for it to run fine on lower resolutions....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

I am planning on buying with my next pay check (June 13), that will be my only game between now and July 22nd.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I'm skipping this title because of the over-the-top drm. If I buy it, I want to install and play it no matter how many times I upgrade video cards or harddrives. And waiting 6 days to get another activation code from EA support, like one of the folks on bioware's forum had to, is just insane.

What I am curious about is why vgchartz is showing no sales data for this title yet. It was released over a month ago now. Is this typical for new release PC titles?

I played it when it came out on the 360. It was a very big diappointment for me. The story was good but the combat was crap

I just started playing KOTOR so ill hold out on Mass Effect for a while.

Its sick. Reminds me a lot of Morrowind actually, both new style Western RPGs.

I love the combat in Mass Effect, the shooter/RPG combo works really well, and the characters are fairly well developed. My main problem with the game though is that it doesn't actually feel finished, apart from the Citadel the galaxy feels pretty much empty and not being able to land on earth kind of pissed me off. Hopefully ME2 manages to have a more finished feel to it.

But yeah, loved the game, at least an 'A' rating in my opinion.