By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - No Mass Effect talk on here?

i hope people like it because (besides the companys short falls on the tech side) it was a great game..... VERY short tho and killed it for me but i hope people play it.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
ssj12 said:
dude to Ea's piracy thing, I expect Mass Effect PC to be epic fail and I hope it does.

They changed it to a one time online authentication, and you no longer need the disc in the drive to play.  Unless you are talking about only being able to install it on 3 computers, which is annoying.

ok your completely wrong. Here is what their piracy thing still does.

1. Online Authentication every 10 days unless you don't use online features then it will authenticate every online session (basically kicking the MMO game Spore in the balls).

2. The games can ONLY BE INSTALLED THREE TIMES. It isn't only 3 computers, its installed a total of 3 times. After that, you will be calling EA too allow every install afterwards.

What they removed is the need to always check every 10 days. So if you use Mass Effect's offline features for 2 months, your good. But once you connect to the internet you have to authenticate the software.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

DMeisterJ said:
@ cwbys21

Uhh... yeah it has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect

May 28 for North America, June 6 for Europe.

Nobody owns Mass Effect on PC yet.

I'm buying it at Circuit City tomorrow, it's $40.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ssj12 said:
Yakuzaice said:
ssj12 said:
dude to Ea's piracy thing, I expect Mass Effect PC to be epic fail and I hope it does.

They changed it to a one time online authentication, and you no longer need the disc in the drive to play. Unless you are talking about only being able to install it on 3 computers, which is annoying.

1. Online Authentication every 10 days unless you don't use online features then it will authenticate every online session (basically kicking the MMO game Spore in the balls).

2. The games can ONLY BE INSTALLED THREE TIMES. It isn't only 3 computers, its installed a total of 3 times. After that, you will be calling EA too allow every install afterwards.

What they removed is the need to always check every 10 days. So if you use Mass Effect's offline features for 2 months, your good. But once you connect to the internet you have to authenticate the software.

Wait a minute, how does that work? Everytime you connect to the internet, one of the game's program redirects you to a place where you have to authenticate it?

totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
Yakuzaice said:
ssj12 said:

They changed it to a one time online authentication, and you no longer need the disc in the drive to play. Unless you are talking about only being able to install it on 3 computers, which is annoying.

Wait a minute, how does that work? Everytime you connect to the internet, one of the game's program redirects you to a place where you have to authenticate it?

I'm not 100% sure but I think its an in-software authentication meaning that if the CD-key of the product for some reason does not match up with the one in their online database expect your product not to work. It's the same program BioShock originally used for piracy then dropped.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

It's a one-time online authentication when you install the game, and then the only other time it checks your game is if/when you download any DLC.

Other than that, the only DRM is the limitations on installations.

It's stupid, but I also think it's stupid if you're ditching a game just because of this.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
No, it's a one-time online authentication when you install the game, and then the only other time it checks your game is if/when you download any DLC.

I;ve heard it both ways, also wasnt the way your talking about how it isonly for Mass Effect meaning Spore is still effected like I said.

BenKenobi88 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ cwbys21

Uhh... yeah it has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect

May 28 for North America, June 6 for Europe.

Nobody owns Mass Effect on PC yet.

I'm buying it at Circuit City tomorrow, it's $40.

I don't think DJ realized this is the PC forum.  But yeah, it comes out tomorrow in the US.

ssj12 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
No, it's a one-time online authentication when you install the game, and then the only other time it checks your game is if/when you download any DLC.

I;ve heard it both ways, also wasnt the way your talking about how it isonly for Mass Effect meaning Spore is still effected like I said.

They dropped that system for Spore as well...though that could change for the better or worse later on.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

ssj12 said:
Yakuzaice said:
ssj12 said:

You are way off-base ssj12. Mass Effect's copy protection consists of:

- 1-time-only Online Authentication when you install the game.

- Online Authentication every time you download content (such as patches or the free Bring Down the Sky DLC)

- Unlimited installations on up to 3 activations on different PC's (you can get more activations by contacting EA).

The advantage is you can play Mass Effect without the DVD (You only need the DVD for the online authentication).