By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Ability to Move On

staticneuron said: This is what kills me. The PS2, a very weak system by comparison, and the xbox, which is also weak by comparison, had games that were HD 720p. What reason is there for the Wii not to do HD? What reason is there for it not to have dvd playback?
Wow... someone gets my point. The Wii has enough power to upsample GC games to 720p. Why dont it?

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

ranzchic said: Nintendos Software sales from Gameboy-->GBA--->DS has trended downwards. (Though the DS may eventually reverse that trend on the handheld side) For their consoles Nintendo-->SNES--->N64-->GC--->Wii the software sales are in a long term downward trend. Now, the Wii *may* change that as it is targeted to a different audience more so than almost any of their previous consoles and the competition. But I personally don't see it happening, I think as HDTV becomes dominant it will lose it's edge. People will see HDTV broadcasts, and HD movies and desire that as what is good and standard and Wii doesn't have it for that. Where are you getting your numbers?
You can look at them on this site if you want, click the hardware shipments, or software shipments and you should be able to find all time numbers.

These stories about PS3's sitting on shelves are fine and dandy but they fail to mention that they are sitting on shelves only in certain cities. According to Itrackr the PS3 right now has 36% national availability. It makes more sense for some about this PS3 not selling nonsense but for me and many of my friends this has been a lie because the PS3 doesn't stay on shelves for very long down here in south florida.
Or it could just Sony undershipping after retailers refuse to order more of them. iTracker also says Wii availability at 3%. Of course, it could just be Nintendo undershipping as well, so we'll see the actual NPD numbers this Thursday and compare the announced shipped units of all three companies.

Kwaad said: staticneuron said: This is what kills me. The PS2, a very weak system by comparison, and the xbox, which is also weak by comparison, had games that were HD 720p. What reason is there for the Wii not to do HD? What reason is there for it not to have dvd playback? Wow... someone gets my point. The Wii has enough power to upsample GC games to 720p. Why dont it?
Why doesn't it? Maybe the same reason the PS3 doesn't upsample PS2/1 games?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I don't think moving on is a *problem* for Nintendo: they have two very good options available (as I see it MS and Sony have only bad options going forward). 1. Milk the Wii for a full generation: keep cutting the price to under-cut the competition ($50 Wiis in 5 years!!!) and built up a massive userbase. This would make the conquest/casual/lapsed gamers happiest since it would keep things simple, but it presents the danger of losing the 'hardcore' gamers' interest. 2. Compress this generation, and launch a WiiTwo in 3-4 years, while keeping the Wii as a 2nd pillar on the console front (like Nintendo has done with the portable systems). Maintaining the $250 USD price-point they could launch a new system in a couple years that'd be marginally more powerful than the 360 and PS3, while pushing the current control scheme forward and still have room for a tidy profit. As for what a WiiTwo would look like... - A new architecture is an absolute must. A multi-core CPU seems likely, but I'm not convinced Nintendo wouldn't buck the industry trend in the interest of keeping things simple for developers. I'd also expect a discrete fixed-function graphics chip: more generalized graphics processing in the mold of the Cell and Intel "CGPU" should be coming online by then, but the bang-for-buck won't. - I highly doubt they'd attempt software backwards-compatability: despite being something Nintendo has always resisted, they'll likely end up including the entire Wii chipset for Wii/GC backwards compatibility. They could get some utility out of this by running the OS and networking threads on the Wii chipset (something the 360 and PS3 currently dedicate cores to). - I'm not sure if they'd move to a next-gen disc format or not: I'd think the prices would be down to earth by then, but I'm not convinced it's something that's needed (Nintendo would rather have some games published on 2 or 3 discs than saddle every system with the added cost). - On the control side, I can think of a few natural extensions, besides increasing the fidelity of everything that's already there. * Adding an IR camera to the sensor bar (like the camera already in the Wiimote) and IR lights to pick up to the nunchuck and Wiimote would allow the Wii to sense absolute movement (not just relative like now) on the frontal plain. This would open up HUGE possibilities: essentially allow the Wii to do a lot of the far-out 1:1 controls a lot of people figure it can do now but can't. The only technical challenge would be getting the wiimote/nunchuck to 'eminent' IR reliably: likely would require some sort of IR-transparent/light-eminating plastic for the casing. * If you're including a camera to pick up the controller movement (via IR sensing), might as well give it full-colour capability as well for EyeToy functionality. * A microphone in the Wiimote is a no-brainer, especially with the DS already having one. ...I'm sure Nintendo has to be thinking of the same thing. They've left themselves a nice space to advance the interface while keeping it basically the same and without affecting backwards compatibility. The same can be said of the DS: the obvious advancement there would be to allow the touch-screen to sense multiple points of contact with the players fingers (a la the iPhone), and possibility a second touch screen...

Around the Network

ranzchic said: Or it could just Sony undershipping after retailers refuse to order more of them. iTracker also says Wii availability at 3%. Of course, it could just be Nintendo undershipping as well, so we'll see the actual NPD numbers this Thursday and compare the announced shipped units of all three companies.
No, I mean in my area it has been hard to find ever since launch. I am sure that may be the case in alot of areas.
sieanr said: Why doesn't it? Maybe the same reason the PS3 doesn't upsample PS2/1 games?
Ahh you mean the Wii has not turned on their hardware scaler? http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/ Besides its not needed for games that are HD already like GT4 and the progressive games do not looks the same as if you would hook your PS2 up to an HDTV. Nothing there to complain about. Anyway what I was talking about was Wii games. The Wii is more powerful than the xbox so why can it not produce some HD content?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: Darc Requiem said: Kwaad definitely lives in his own little world. A world where the PS3 isn't gathering dust on store shelves and the Wii is falling flat on its face These stories about PS3's sitting on shelves are fine and dandy but they fail to mention that they are sitting on shelves only in certain cities. According to Itrackr the PS3 right now has 36% national availability. It makes more sense for some about this PS3 not selling nonsense but for me and many of my friends this has been a lie because the PS3 doesn't stay on shelves for very long down here in south florida.
Well your region is much different than mine. If you want PS3 here in central Virginia you can find one quite easily. Its been that way since mid December. My brother walked into an EB in mid December and was surprised to find out that they had 60GB PS3s. So he picked one up. A quick look at EB/Gamestops within 30 miles radius of me show that 7 out of 12 of them have PS3s. Do any of them have Wii's? Nope.

PS3 60GB down to 35%. 0 in knoxville PS3 20GB down to 1% 1 in knoxville Wii at 3%

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

staticneuron said: Darc Requiem said: Kwaad definitely lives in his own little world. A world where the PS3 isn't gathering dust on store shelves and the Wii is falling flat on its face These stories about PS3's sitting on shelves are fine and dandy but they fail to mention that they are sitting on shelves only in certain cities. According to Itrackr the PS3 right now has 36% national availability. It makes more sense for some about this PS3 not selling nonsense but for me and many of my friends this has been a lie because the PS3 doesn't stay on shelves for very long down here in south florida.
The PS3 has 36% and the Wii has 3%. That said, anyone who wants a PS3 and has the $600 to buy it can easily aquire one via the internet. Not Ebay, but Gamestop or another brick and click store so you can still return it locally if there are problems. If PS3's were in much higher demand, then Ebay prices would be above retail. I live in one of those towns with 6/6 avail on PS3 and 0/6 on the Wii. Could someone who lives in an area that has a lot of Wii's please give me there zipcode. I know a boatload of people who would drive a long way for one(or hopefully more). Not you K wad I already checked Knoxville and there are no Wii's. One PS3 though.

Darc Requiem said: Well your region is much different than mine. If you want PS3 here in central Virginia you can find one quite easily. Its been that way since mid December. My brother walked into an EB in mid December and was surprised to find out that they had 60GB PS3s. So he picked one up. A quick look at EB/Gamestops within 30 miles radius of me show that 7 out of 12 of them have PS3s. Do any of them have Wii's? Nope.
I understand that regions might be different. That affects POV. People are preaching doom and gloom but it really doesn't seem that way. In my area (using itackr since launches) I have 38 retailer locations. Right now 8 stores have 60 gig ps3, 2 have wii's and none of them have the 20 gigs. Neither the Wii or the 60 gig since launch jumped above 50% of the locations for an extended period of time while the 20 gig sold out after christamas and stayed sold out since then. I have been checking 3 different zipcodes between two jobs and the area I live and that is how the picture is painted. 8 out of 38 retailers in stock does not equat to a failure or gathering dust. The PS3 in my are does not sell as well as the Wii but to say it doesn't sell well nationwide is also stretching the line.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723