By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - My unpopular prediction: The Xbox 360 Will outsell the PS3 - Q3/Q4

Colonel stubbs, just because you disagree doesn't mean your allowed to call someone a fool.

It's his own prediction. I disagree with a few things you say, but there not going to suck on my balls. Hell no.

X-mote might be good, if it sucks big time, then be my guest and let them suck your...you know.

Around the Network
Shameless said:
If the 360 gets blu-ray, a bigger HDD and wireless then the 360 is a better choice compared to the PS3. Right now, blu-ray is a major factor for high PS3 sales and without that bonus I can't see anything that will keep sales above the 360.

The OP is correct.

Except that if Microsoft adds a Blu-ray drive, the possibility of a price drop is pretty much zilch. Their marketshare will continue to shrink as people lose interest.

Frankly, I don't remember much evidence that the Blu-ray drive was the motivation for high PS3 sales. I could see why it would be, but why isn't it selling better in Japan then? It's selling very well in Europe, even though HD adoption rates there remain quite low. 

you guys that have the 360 have to remember that the only reason 360 has more games is because it came out a year before. Beisdes, in my opinion the ps3 and wii is better than the 360 combine. my friend bought the 360 and it broke 3 times in one month! Also when you have a 360, to watch movies you have to buy that dvd thing. PS3 has a built in blu-ray. And finally, from 2008-2009 you will see ps3 dominate the 360. Because it's exclusive list of games from that time is ridculous. Here's what's coming to the ps3 exclusively in case you didn't know:

1) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2) Resistance 2
3) Killzone 2
4) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Final Fantasy Versus XIII
6) Tekken 6
7) Socom Confronation
8) God of War III

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Snake612 said:
you guys that have the 360 have to remember that the only reason 360 has more games is because it came out a year before. Beisdes, in my opinion the ps3 and wii is better than the 360 combine. my friend bought the 360 and it broke 3 times in one month! Also when you have a 360, to watch movies you have to buy that dvd thing. PS3 has a built in blu-ray. And finally, from 2008-2009 you will see ps3 dominate the 360. Because it's exclusive list of games from that time is ridculous. Here's what's coming to the ps3 exclusively in case you didn't know:

1) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2) Resistance 2
3) Killzone 2
4) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Final Fantasy Versus XIII
6) Tekken 6
7) Socom Confronation
8) God of War III

Wrong.

If you want to watch hd-dvd's, then an add on does exist, but every model of the 360 plays dvd's with no problem. I think you may be thinking of the original xbox.

@ OP, you mentioned:

Elite: Add wireless, Blu Ray, keep the price at $450.

If that happened, then it would be a very competative move. But IMO there is no way they could ever make the $450 price point work.

(Woot! 500th post) 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

^360 plays DVDs with no problems? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA ....excuse me. :P

Around the Network

Good analysis, and I predict the same. Microsoft is looking to copy Nintendo, Sony is retreating upmarket. The better strategy is obvious.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Microsoft are quickly becoming the laughing stock of the gaming industry.

Lets be reasonable-
-the 360 is a good piece of hardware when it isnt dying
-some of the games it has are exquisite (gears, halo, PGR)
-it has sold well, and conitnues to
-it has a large gaming catalogue

Lets be even more reasonable-
-the wii has won this generation in terms of sales...it WILL NOT be caught
-the PS3 has outsold the 360 EVERY month worldwide since November
-the PS3 WILL overtake the 360 worldwide by mid-2009

On a neutral basis, this is how it will look next year-
-Europe: Wii> PS3 > 360
-USA: Wii > 360 > PS3
-Japan: Wii > PS3 > 360

None of the above facts can be disputed. So why must Microsoft sink to such levels...

1- 'we got to 10 million first in america, that means we won'
2- Despite backing HD DVD they are taking Blu ray
3- copying the wii with the x-mote
4- banging on about superior GTA sales with a much larger userbade
5- banging on about the overall worldwide lead the 360 has over the PS3 despite the YEAR LONG headstart

Microsoft have become so desperate its laughable

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

DMeisterJ said:
Err....

Your whole post is based off of speculation.

Speculation that the PS3 won't receive a similar price drop

Their financials don't point in that direction.
Speculation that Blu-Ray will be in the 360

Multiple individual rumors coming out of asia seem to strongly indicate that.
Speculation that the HDD size will be upped.

Its common sense that it needs it, 10gb of space after formatting etc is not enough for media delivery.
Speculation that the X-Mote is real

We don't hear rumors all the time about a PS3 one now do we? I believe theres some substance to the rumors.
Speculation that wireless will be added to the 360

Jasper is also a motherboard update, and one of their goals is to get people onto Live gold. If people can't access the internet they can't give MS lots of money.
Speculation that they'll add wireless and more hdd space to certain skus, but actually DROP the price

The HDD size increase will be cheap, 60gb is about a standard size for laptop HDDs and wireless is only a few dollars, they really just have to add it.
Speculation that the X-Mote will be well received

If it works as well or better than the Wiimote, why not? They have strategy games and a ton of PC ports lined up they can add to their lineup.
Speculation that none of the 360 games will be pushed back

They might be, it doesn't matter actually. The point I was making is their exclusives target a different market than last year so they aren't just thrashing the same crowd.
Speculation that sony will sit on it's Arse and not announce anything coming this holiday season for the PS3

The point is that these changes are good enough to make the Xbox360 more competitive.

Etc.

So, basically, your whole post is speculation, and based off of no factual evidence.

Try again.

Tease.

Imperial said:
Squilliam said:

My prediction is that from Q3 until the end of this year the total sales for the Xbox360 worldwide will exceed the PS3.

Here are my reasons for this prediction:

1. The Xbox360 games library to be released this year is both of high quality and it is diverse in genres and scope. The Xbox360 will be stronger in the RPG, Action, Shooter and Strategy genres. It will make a compelling choice for any gamer especially those that like the Action or RPG genres as they have not been catered to well so far. The games being offered encompass a wider market share and some do not have competing offerings in the competitions lineup so far. Standout games like Fable 2 or Too human are perfect examples of this.

The 360 arguably had better line ups since it's launch yet the PS3 has still sold 10 million consoles faster , this year the 360 has been outsold from the start yet the PS3 still has a smaller games libary , the games released on the 360 to an extent don't affect the performance of the PS3. Also taking into consideration that the PS3 also has big game names this year Socom , Resistance 2 , Metal Gear Sold , Little Big Plannet it further damages the 360.

The Xbox360 has sold well inspite of the fact that the Playstation brand is at least 10x stronger and the problems with RROD. This is a continuation of the good games but targeting more of the RPG gamers with games that have much greater mass market apeal. MGS4,Resistance, Socom, all target the hardcore market that has had a lot of good games thrown at them. Most of those fish have already bitten. The point is this, Too human and Fable 2 are accessible. Socom and MGS4 are not.

2. There have been many rumors floating about with regards to things such as:

A: Wireless support.

Won't increase sales noticably 

Except for those who need it, and wireless penetration is increasing... especially in the target market for these consoles.

B: Increased HDD size.

Won't increase sales noticably , won't eliminate the problem of the xbox arcade. 

Actually it will. People from my experience will put a tick in the Xbox360 box for having a bigger HDD, they won't think "Will I need 60gb". There are a lot of uneducated consumers out there for whom it will sway. The Xbox360 arcades problem is in its lack of purpose not in the lack of a HDD.

C: Blu Ray.

More money for Sony and the other owners of blu-ray , further increases the likelyhood of blu-ray becoming the standard. 

Sony owns less than half the blu ray drive patents and Microsoft does own patents to the codecs used.

A and B are obvious choices for their strategy of online media delivery. Taken together with C it could make the Xbox360 the ultimate media delivery platform, there have been too many rumors of Blu ray to be considered false, now that the Xmote is all but confirmed I feel confident in making this prediction also.

Xmote's success depends on how well it's implemented , considering decent games take at least 1.5 years to develop ( with the exception of exceptional developers i.e insomniac) , this will either result in the day of XBOX 360 exclusives to accomodate the new controler or we won't see it properly implemented until 2009-2010, so it doesn't really help the 360 this year. A more functional 360 won't affect PS3 sales full stop, the PS3 already has all that (wireless as standard , swappable HDD , blu-ray) 

There are a lot of games that could benifit from Xmote support even now. Games like GOW1/2 would be prime examples. There are also games that can't be ported from the PC to the Xbox360 because of the control schemes. If it works they will use it.

A more functional 360 will affect PS3 sales full stop. Right now they have an exclusive on Blu Ray, people who know they need wireless obviously won't buy a 360 will they? Bringing equality on the hardware front is good, it means for people who crossshop between the Xbox360 will be more compelling and hence greater sales.

Done.

To be honest I think your analysis is pretty weak and highly optimistic , the PS3 will outsell the 360 even if it did have an inferior line-up , it's outsold the 360 every year since launch so with more reasons to buy a PS3 than ever how could the 360 possibly stand a chance ?

Tease.

I don't believe this ridiculous thread is still alive

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey