By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo be disrupted?

@mesoteto: I would laugh if EA made a console xD May be fun to watch

@Gamerace: Thats the kind of answer I was waiting for! But remember that the iPod disrupted from the upmarket to the downmarket (and thats the way consoles normally reached the downmarket, by pricecuts and such)

@bdbdbd: lol

Work in progress for now...

Around the Network

Midget clowns with wooden spoons. Disturbing as hell.

OH you said disRUPTing.
;D

I think this gen is wrapped up, as others have said. I really fear for individuality for the next generation. I have a feeling that all the consoles are going to be dangerously similar in power, controls, etc. Of course, last time I said that, Nintendo went Wii on me and took me by surprise.

It all comes down to who's going to take the leap away from hard copy games - in other words, who is going to make a system that is completely digital distribution. I think that's the next big push. Kill off optical media entirely. Bring an external HD to Gamespot and pay for them to upload the game on (unless you buy online and have a fast internet connection)

JGarret said:
@at Gamerace

I know nothing about Apple...how´s their success in NA,Europe and Japan?

Couldn't say however their Ipod was a total distuption to the music industry.  Not only did it break Sony's lead in the music scene, it totally made the Sony Walkman obsolete!  Ipod is king in NA, I'm pretty sure in Europe too, no idea about Japan.

There PCs have been gaining steam in recent years too.

nintendo a unstoppable force !!

thats a joke lol

dont forget, before wii microsoft and sony want take control of big N. Sony and microsoft make so much money that Big N. only things nintendo going fine is that new method for playing. WII is so weak for HD. I see on other forum pes 2008 on wii had 3d of ps2 because they cant use ps360.

N64 was an error GC was not really good. So im happy to see more competition but the only question is : How many time wii can continue to be the first.

sorry im french my english is very bad

Gamerace said:
YES - and I've long predicted another company will jump into the fray and attempt to do just that. How successfully they'll be is at disrupting Nintendo is a total unknown but more disruption in the industry will be chaos for Sony/MS.

Keys to doing it:

- Think BIG! Nintendo has opened a huge new market but is too conservative to gobble it up.
- Aggressiveness - Lots of advertising making the product seem like the new IN thing and lots of plans to ramp up production very quickly to stay ahead of demand.
- Innovation - simply intuitive controls but don't copy Wii exactly (otherwise you'll be a wannaba Wii)
- Compatibility with both Wii & HD game consoles. Imagine the joys of being able to play the best of Wii games and the best of HD games with pinpoint accuracy. Instant huge game library as 3rd parties port existing games over for a quick buck.
- Sleek design - Take a page from Apple (Nintendo did) people love cool looking gadgets
- Price - Must be under $300 or be from Apple. Apple is the only tech company that can get away with overcharging for everything - but they have mastered the 'coolness' factor.

Really the only company with the imagination and know-how to do this I can see is Apple but no one expected Wii from Nintendo either so who knows.

That's a good idea, aside from being COMPLETELY ILLEGAL without licensing from the old consoles' owners. Why do you think you don't see an Xbox 360 that can play PS2 games? I agree that the only company with a chance of competing on the same level with Nintendo, for the exact same audience, is Apple. The iPod is quite popular in Japan, their products are never bulky, and they have the 'cool' factor. The only question is if they (a) could make the first-party games to attract people to the iPlay, or (b) could get enough third-party support.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
GrimPoppet said:

Ok, my question is the one in the title. Nintendo is disrupting Sony and Microsoft with the Wii and the DS, but...

If a company had to enter the market and disrupt Nintendo, what do you think they would do?

I'd like to say that Microsoft has the best chance of disrupting Nintendo... if they can get a foothold in Japan.

Microsoft's ability to take an idea and enhance it as well as its ability to go head-to-head with just about anyone on any field make it a pretty fearsome competitor.  

Microsoft geared itself up to face Sony this generation and blow for blow, even with the RRoD, they've been a very solid competitor as well as a great alternative to the PS3.

GrimPoppet said:

@mesoteto: I would laugh if EA made a console xD May be fun to watch

@Gamerace: Thats the kind of answer I was waiting for! But remember that the iPod disrupted from the upmarket to the downmarket (and thats the way consoles normally reached the downmarket, by pricecuts and such)

@bdbdbd: lol

No it didn't. It disrupted the CD players, mainly Walkman. And it was downmarket to upmarket. The disrupting product itself wasn't iPod, it was iTunes. What was the LOL for?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The problem with playing the "disruption" game is that it isn't something you can sit down and plan out in a board room--there is no formula, no recipe, for creating something that captures the popular imagination--no magic bullet that will slay Nintendo's market-eating monster.

So while we can all sit here and create imaginary checklists of what 'x' company needs to do, there really aren't *any* valid criteria or hard and fast rules for what would constitute the correct strategy outside of, perhaps, keeping the price low.

I am, however, certain of one thing: if I'm Microsoft, I probably haven't been sleeping well for the last 6 months as I grapple with exactly this question on a daily basis. I'd also probably be drinking a lot.

The mp3 players disrupted the Walkman, and the iPod disrupted the mp3 players. The iPod appealed to those who wanted to get a "better" music experience, and then they reached the mainstream via pricecuts.

The lol was for the shovelware part.

Also, sorry if my posts are a little confusing, but I find them fairly good for a 14 year old whose main language is spanish =P

@WoW

I don't think a better wiimote would make a difference, simply enhacing existing products is not disruption. 

Work in progress for now...

thekitchensink said:
Gamerace said:
YES - and I've long predicted another company will jump into the fray and attempt to do just that. How successfully they'll be is at disrupting Nintendo is a total unknown but more disruption in the industry will be chaos for Sony/MS.

Keys to doing it:

- Think BIG! Nintendo has opened a huge new market but is too conservative to gobble it up.
- Aggressiveness - Lots of advertising making the product seem like the new IN thing and lots of plans to ramp up production very quickly to stay ahead of demand.
- Innovation - simply intuitive controls but don't copy Wii exactly (otherwise you'll be a wannaba Wii)
- Compatibility with both Wii & HD game consoles. Imagine the joys of being able to play the best of Wii games and the best of HD games with pinpoint accuracy. Instant huge game library as 3rd parties port existing games over for a quick buck.
- Sleek design - Take a page from Apple (Nintendo did) people love cool looking gadgets
- Price - Must be under $300 or be from Apple. Apple is the only tech company that can get away with overcharging for everything - but they have mastered the 'coolness' factor.

Really the only company with the imagination and know-how to do this I can see is Apple but no one expected Wii from Nintendo either so who knows.

That's a good idea, aside from being COMPLETELY ILLEGAL without licensing from the old consoles' owners. Why do you think you don't see an Xbox 360 that can play PS2 games? I agree that the only company with a chance of competing on the same level with Nintendo, for the exact same audience, is Apple. The iPod is quite popular in Japan, their products are never bulky, and they have the 'cool' factor. The only question is if they (a) could make the first-party games to attract people to the iPlay, or (b) could get enough third-party support.

You're taking that statement too literally.  I only mean that the tech is close enough to port games over.  Like PC/360/PS3 for example or PS2/Wii.  So you'd want a console more graphically powerful than the Wii but probably less than the 360 but close enough games could be ported over.