By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo be disrupted?

I think the =))) should have given it away.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I don't think so. I think Nintendo is too far ahead of the curve to be disrupted too much at this point. No one is anywhere near catching up to the wiimote and wii sports, and now there is already a ballance board and wiifit to worry about, and I don't think the ballance board is the end of the line in terms of Wii control inovation either.

To disrupt Nintendo at this point someone would need greater vision within the industry than Nintendo, I don't think anyone like that exists.

btw, the thing other companies should truly be afraid of:

Nintendo disrupting itself.

Nintendo killed the Game Boy Advance with the DS. Remember rumors of the Game Boy Enhanced floating about? Remember how the PSP was a GBA+++ (heck, it still is)?

Nintendo realized Sony could out tech the GBA, so Nintendo disrupted the GBA with the DS before the PSP could take over.

The key to disrupting Nintendo would be to make a disrupting product without Nintendo noticing. Or like with the Wii, make a product that no one (else) expects to disrupt the market.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Actually the only company that could (If it released a worthy console tomorrow) rip sales away from Nintendo is Apple.

Apple has the strongest consumer electronics brand in the world, they are also viewed positively by a lot of people.

They have Media synergies they can easily make with their Ipods and they have a huge online music/movie market with Itunes.

They could make their controls even better that Nintendos current Wiimote with the benifit of hindsight.

Their brand is seen as premium so they can extract a premium price for their console and it will still sell.

There are other companies such as EA which would be itching to partner with Apple on a console and share in the profits.

Tease.

Apple couldn't steal Nintendo's momentum. Not at this point.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I would say for apple to enter the market it would take some experience with software or they would have to pull a Sony and get strong 3rd party support, but it's far too late in this run for them to take a turn in, plus Apple is on it's way to being disrupted anyway as they represent high teir within electronic media and software.

I'm not sure how long it will take but it shouldn't take too long for them to take some noticable hits, right now their just being disrupted but it's not directly affecting them.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Do you actually know what the definition of disruptive innovation is?

Half the examples cited aren't disruptive innovation in even the slightest of senses.

It will be but not this gen, next gen? it all depends on what the next consoles are like.

@darconi

Your refferening to me? Because I didn't say anything about innovation. >.>

(I would like to hear the rest of the post that should of been above though.)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The only thing I forsee happening is that the Wii is simply going to run out of big name titles. Animal Crossing doesn't have the same name recognition as a lot of their other franchises, and not many games have been announced for the rest of the year. This might slow things down. Although the Wii is able to continue selling and continue selling games regardless of what they are, so it is completley plausible that Animal Crossing might have a huge prescence and be a continued system seller. Could anyone have predicted Nintendogs would be such a hit? It still boggles my mind. I think if Animal Crossing utilizes online capabilities better than it did on the DS, then it has a good chance of being a huge hit. Besides that, I only see Nintendo re-using other franchises, and continuing to push gimmicky controllers. Honestly, all they have to do is com e out with a new controller or controller holder every three months, and a large segment of the population will want it.