By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare:Banjo 3 is 80% vehicle.

I'm not going to dismiss it right now, but I just lost a lot of interest in the game.

@parokki: While new is cool, I would prefer a jump'n'run because that's one of my most beloved genres.

Around the Network

@parokki

it was like a SMG alternative for 360 people who went from nintendo to M$

Its like Ninty saying oh the next Mario's coming n then when they show it off its actually Mario kart..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Parokki said:
The amount of outrage this game is receiving from the fans of its predecessor is making me get pretty interested in it. Fans complaining about the developer doing something too different and screwing things up are a sure sign of a worthwhile and original game!

Other than ripping off the worst of Jak & Daxter-series (which was very vehicle-heavy), I don't see them doing anything new or interesting.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. People would have said it was unoriginal if it was exactly like the old platformers aswell. Lets all wait until we can actually play it to say if its good or not.

Rock_on_2008 said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
WoW because platformers are like so 90's.
Platforms are so Nintendo. The top games on Nintendo are either a Mario or Zelda game.

What... since when was Zelda a "platformer", that's like saying God of War, DMC, Ninja Gaiden are all platformers because you jump on the occassional platform....

On Topic: Unless they pull a miracle, I don't think this game will be a success knowing this information. I see this game riddled with:

a) Control (car weight) issues and Camera issues in tight areas

b) Control issues and Barren Wastelands as levels so that there are no tight areas for bad camera angles.

It's a shame though, considering that one of the people working on the game said in an interview (it's on GT if interested) that the people making the game are the core group that made the original N64 titles and he even said they recognised and appreciated the support of those old fans that grew up waiting for the next installment in anticipation. Way to kick them in the lower parts by changing the way the game is played Rare.

Can the people who make Banjo, Crash bandicoot and other 90's platformers that have fallen by the way side look at Nintendo and Super Mario Galaxy. Nintendo didn't break the way the game is played (well they did in sunshine with the water gun thing but at least they learned from that) but instead enhanced it with slight ADDITIONS (note: not changes) to the gameplay. Look how great that turned out!

Around the Network

"... once you play the game and realise the freedom the vehicles have you will forget that they are vehicles and simply a different way of having abilities, albeit ones that you choose and combine," said Mayles.

So you'll have the Flower vehicule that lets you trow balls of fire, the mushroom vehicule that makes you bigger, the racoon that lets you glide, the cape that lets you fly, the yosh### that eats enemies and finally the bee vehicule that lets you fly at your will (for a limited time only)....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The thing I hate is, we didn't love Banjo Kazooie (mainly) for it's awesome characters; we loved it because of its awesome gameplay. This is like if the next Mario was a FPS. You can't just switch genres and have the same game.

It's like Rare wanted to make a vehicle game, was afraid it wouldn't sell well, so slapped the BK name and characters on it.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Rock_on_2008 said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Platforms are so Nintendo. The top games on Nintendo are either a Mario or Zelda game.

True for Mario but why not appeal to the gamers actually interested in the series instead of trying to appeal to the core audience who supposedly like racing games better.

Its definitely a bold move but its really something rare had to do. They've been getting progressively worse for a long time, maybe they needed to mix things up. I for one will be interested to see if its pays off.

CAL4M1TY said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:

What... since when was Zelda a "platformer", that's like saying God of War, DMC, Ninja Gaiden are all platformers because you jump on the occassional platform....

On Topic: Unless they pull a miracle, I don't think this game will be a success knowing this information. I see this game riddled with:

a) Control (car weight) issues and Camera issues in tight areas

b) Control issues and Barren Wastelands as levels so that there are no tight areas for bad camera angles.

It's a shame though, considering that one of the people working on the game said in an interview (it's on GT if interested) that the people making the game are the core group that made the original N64 titles and he even said they recognised and appreciated the support of those old fans that grew up waiting for the next installment in anticipation. Way to kick them in the lower parts by changing the way the game is played Rare.

Can the people who make Banjo, Crash bandicoot and other 90's platformers that have fallen by the way side look at Nintendo and Super Mario Galaxy. Nintendo didn't break the way the game is played (well they did in sunshine with the water gun thing but at least they learned from that) but instead enhanced it with slight ADDITIONS (note: not changes) to the gameplay. Look how great that turned out!

Everything RARE touches lately seems to go wrong. Perfect dark Zero was average , Kameo was good but not great and Viva Pinata good but not great.

Banjo: Nuts and Bolts. i predict will be good but not great.