By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - CAPCOM: Okami sales as expected, VGC sales # overtracking

Capcom thinks this game will sell by itself, with no ads or a decent campaign. No wonder it flopped.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Moongoddess256 said:
No I'm a "hardcore" gamer and I said THIS HAS TO BE PORTED TO THE WII. and so I waited for it to come to the wii. and it did. and I bought it. I'm sure I wasn't alone.

Well, the rest of us bought it when it was receiving raves on the PS2, when it might have made the difference in getting a sequel and saving Clover--waiting for it to come to Wii only helped bury both.

The good news is that is basically meeting their exact expectations, much better than selling below expectations

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exindguy said:
Moongoddess256 said:
No I'm a "hardcore" gamer and I said THIS HAS TO BE PORTED TO THE WII. and so I waited for it to come to the wii. and it did. and I bought it. I'm sure I wasn't alone.

Well, the rest of us bought it when it was receiving raves on the PS2, when it might have made the difference in getting a sequel and saving Clover--waiting for it to come to Wii only helped bury both.

I was more than a little irritated about it not coming to the wii in the first place. Their fault they released it on a console at the end of its lifespan just because it had the largest user base, and also underestimating the selling power of the wii.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I think the most important thing to see in thread linked to is that the guy says, regarding future games now that okami met expectations, "get back to us in June" or something like that.. i'm intrigued

Around the Network
Moongoddess256 said:
exindguy said:
Moongoddess256 said:

I was more than a little irritated about it not coming to the wii in the first place. Their fault they released it on a console at the end of its lifespan just because it had the largest user base, and also underestimating the selling power of the wii.

I won't argue this point. It would have made a lot more sense to release this game on the Wii in the first place instead of dumping it in the PS2's rapidly receding wake (just think: had they had this game at the Wii launch it would have easily sold 500k copies, simply based on how well some pretty shoddy games sold at the time). 

trestres said:
Capcom thinks this game will sell by itself, with no ads or a decent campaign. No wonder it flopped.

Or maybe, they knew it wouldn't sell well and didn't want to waste money advertising it for people who wouldn't buy it.

Hey, sales met expectations, right? 

I think the 100k figure is him quoting our numbers to Capcom board people not using VGC. He isn't saying Okami Wii is off by 100k from what Capcom thinks it sold.

That said, if we are 'off' he probably wouldn't say it if was only 5k or something. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Wow ... the game didnt do all that great :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Did anyone really expect Okami Wii to sell even remotely well? I know I didn't... It seems even Capcom concedes that it ain't doing superbly at this point.