By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Time to kill my roommate

bbsin said:
@pig: Ok fair enough, let me rephrase it.
That trade was the most unbalanced trade in RECENT history and it was also the worst trade in MLB history from the outright.

From the outset... Possibly. There were several other bad ones back in the day, though.

In recent memory, I would still call the Giants trading one year of Pierzynski for Nathan (possibly the best overall closer the past few years), Bonser (a decent #3/4 guy), and Liriano (the sky is the limit with that guy, we'll see if he comes back from TJ surgery fully) a more unbalanced trade overall. It looks even worse if you take a gander at the Giants pitching staff right now. They really need those guys and one year of Pierzynski got them shit.

There's also a lot of factors in the Santana trade... He could blow out his elbow tomorrow (unlikely) or Gomez or *chuckles* Mulvey or Humber could surprise everyone down the road. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

@Frodaddyg

A few things to consider before you kill your roommate, or melt your console down into slag. Have you followed all the recommended home repairs for your console. Have you cleaned the tray and drive with a can of compressed air? Have you unplugged your console for a period of time, and then tried to run it? Have you tried disconnecting your hard drive and seeing what effect that has?

Don't just assume that the console is truly broken. Your problem could be a piece of lint or dust. You may have a corrupted file on the hard drive, and a little deletion could resolve that for you. Perhaps you just need to reboot the system entirely. There are a lot of explanations beyond knocking the lens loose.

I would not recommend trying to hot box your 360 out of a sense of moral obligation. That is just committing an act of fraud, and because your dealing with a corporation doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. Even so you would probably be better off doing that, because they are not likely to repair a launch unit, and far more likely to simply replace it. However if they do not you will get a console in the mail with a disc reading error. Which you will promptly have to return. Then you have to hope that they believe that its the fault of UPS.

I would follow my conscience. How much is the sleep of the innocent actually worth to you.

Dodece said:
@Frodaddyg

A few things to consider before you kill your roommate, or melt your console down into slag. Have you followed all the recommended home repairs for your console. Have you cleaned the tray and drive with a can of compressed air? Have you unplugged your console for a period of time, and then tried to run it? Have you tried disconnecting your hard drive and seeing what effect that has?

Don't just assume that the console is truly broken. Your problem could be a piece of lint or dust. You may have a corrupted file on the hard drive, and a little deletion could resolve that for you. Perhaps you just need to reboot the system entirely. There are a lot of explanations beyond knocking the lens loose.

I would not recommend trying to hot box your 360 out of a sense of moral obligation. That is just committing an act of fraud, and because your dealing with a corporation doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. Even so you would probably be better off doing that, because they are not likely to repair a launch unit, and far more likely to simply replace it. However if they do not you will get a console in the mail with a disc reading error. Which you will promptly have to return. Then you have to hope that they believe that its the fault of UPS.

I would follow my conscience. How much is the sleep of the innocent actually worth to you.

I know Fro pretty well.

The answer is "not much". 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Dodece said:
@Frodaddyg

I did take all possible measures I could to see if it was something I could fix. Canned air to pretty much every spot I can find on the console. HDD on, HDD off. All the self remdies, and got nothing for results.

I'd had very limited read errors before. My first copy of Halo 3 didn't read, but the second one worked fine, until that one stopped reading after several months, too. (Long enough for me to knock out the campaign online with Senor 'Pig.) I got occasional read errors, but a simple opening and closing of the tray usually solved them. Then, I had GTA freeze up a couple times on me early (once in the intro, and then a few other times while playing). I did get it up and running smoothly for 2-3 hours that night, then the next morning, I began getting multiple unreadable errors before the game would start up, and then freezing issues within a matter of minutes if i did get it to run. Then, the whole tripping situation occurred, and since that it won't even read the other games I've never had issues with, like CoD4 and Rock Band. 

Like I said, it's as old a console as you can have, seeing as it's a launch model, and the lens thing was probably going to just die at some point. It's just unfortunate timing that it occurred immediately following a big release. I'm not heartbroken, because the first few hours didn't exactly "wow" me, and i have MK and TWEWY to keep me busy in the meantime. 

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Frodaddyg said:

So, I picked up GTA at midnight on Tuesday. I played it for about 2 hours that night. I wake up Wednesday morning and throw it in. I have two of my controllers plugged into the console to charge, and my roomate walks by, tangles his foot in the cords, and pulls the console off the TV stand to the floor. It's only a 3-4 inch drop from the bottom shelf it's on, but it gets jerked pretty hard and hits the ground pretty flush.

Now, I am getting unreadable disc errors. Not just on GTA, but everything. I'm guessing the fall must have dislodged the lens somehow, so it's more than a bit irritating. I have a repair ticket set up, but since it isn't a RROD problem, it won't be covered by the warranty any more. It is a bit ironic that it took something like this to knock out a console I got on launch day.

Honestly though, I'm not that pissed about missing GTA. I got Mario Kart Wii that day, and The World Ends With You, so I have other things to occupy my gaming time. (And both are a lot of fun, particularly TWEWY.) I just figure once the console gets fixed, I'll have something interesting to play right away when I get it back. Or if I want to be really impatient I could probably borrow my nephew's 360 for a week or so.

can you let me  know what's the cost of the reparation ??? I have the same issue on mine...

Around the Network
endimion said:
Frodaddyg said:

So, I picked up GTA at midnight on Tuesday. I played it for about 2 hours that night. I wake up Wednesday morning and throw it in. I have two of my controllers plugged into the console to charge, and my roomate walks by, tangles his foot in the cords, and pulls the console off the TV stand to the floor. It's only a 3-4 inch drop from the bottom shelf it's on, but it gets jerked pretty hard and hits the ground pretty flush.

Now, I am getting unreadable disc errors. Not just on GTA, but everything. I'm guessing the fall must have dislodged the lens somehow, so it's more than a bit irritating. I have a repair ticket set up, but since it isn't a RROD problem, it won't be covered by the warranty any more. It is a bit ironic that it took something like this to knock out a console I got on launch day.

Honestly though, I'm not that pissed about missing GTA. I got Mario Kart Wii that day, and The World Ends With You, so I have other things to occupy my gaming time. (And both are a lot of fun, particularly TWEWY.) I just figure once the console gets fixed, I'll have something interesting to play right away when I get it back. Or if I want to be really impatient I could probably borrow my nephew's 360 for a week or so.

can you let me know what's the cost of the reparation ??? I have the same issue on mine...

The person I talked to on the phone said that if it wasn't a RROD issue, it was a $99 repair. They're sending me the label and everything to ship it, so the $99 seems to be the extent of it.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

ok thank you

do you know if they'll drop in the mods on the heat sink and stuff... if you have a way to check let me know.... because I'm wondering between buying a used one or to refurbish it

o btw don't kill your roomy right away make him pay first then kill him... or better sell him lol

endimion said:
ok thank you

do you know if they'll drop in the mods on the heat sink and stuff... if you have a way to check let me know.... because I'm wondering between buying a used one or to refurbish it

I'm not sure of the specifics of the process. Mine is an old dinosaur model, so I'm not sure if I'll be getting it fixed and having all the potential issues (like fixing whatever specific part on the old models can cause the RROD) updated to today's standards, or if they may just replace it. The repair also gives you a fresh 90 day warranty, so if anything else cropped up right away it would be covered. To me, the 99 bucks is worth it compared to buying a used system from Gamestop, since it's cheaper than buying another used system, you are getting it repaired by the makers of the system, and you get the same 90 day warranty once you get it back.

yeap mine is quite old too February 06... never RRoDed or even froze on a game even being on pause on it for several weeks... but the god damn DVD drive is having read error all the time it can take more than an hour to make a game work even dvds now... that's one of the reason it stays on that long lol...

well let me know if you learn more in PM if that thread dies.. i'm interested...