By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit Review..........

Million said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:

Million said:
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

1. Yoga can't equal workouts that require you to use alot of energy such as running long distance or rowing a conoe for a mile. , I'd like to see some information that sais otherwise.

2. Dude what country are you in ? KFC would be facing a crazy class action lawsuit in the EU if they advertised it as health food , do you even know why it's called "KFC" and not Kentucky Fried Chicken ?

I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW.

3. Your talking about a sci-fi GAME, a boxing video game and comparing it to a Fitness game with a workout board. Your making it sound like the consumer are complete idiots, they aren't , but they are however more gullable than the informed gamer.

If some one sees a game and a gaming board with various workouts you can do on that board then instantly the idea of getting fit while having fun is going to pop into their heads , I'd bet my life that's how Nintendo is marketing it , it's the whole reason they released it , this kinda thing has apeal. It theoreticaly makes a tedius,boring and painful procedure fun and exciting when we know it doesn't work that way.

1) You're flat out wrong.  As I am assuming you've never done yoga, I will just tell you to try it sometime before you pass judgement.  Chances are, if you do try it and you don't goof around, the next day you will be more sore then you would be from rowing a canoe for a mile.  Until you have a clue what you're talking about, I would recommend giving up on this argument.  I'll cede that there are things that yoga doesn't do for you, much like there are things that running doesn't do for you, and (insert name of other exercise regimen) doesn't do for you.

Used as part of a healthy lifestyle, Yoga is very helpful to many parts of being fit, many of which are the opposite of what running does for you.  For example, if you are an amateur runner, you may not know that you should stretch afterwards, and so your flexibility will suffer.  Yoga, on the other hand, is all about tone and flexibility, so it will get you less buffed but more toned than many other workouts.

2) Since you are apparently too lazy to actually do a google search, here is citiation for his claim about KFC:

http://www.slate.com/id/2090861

3)"I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW." You apparently don't study law very often if you aren't aware of the egrigious claims people are allowed to make.  Even if we assume WiiFit contains no benefits, which we've already established is a false assumption, then it gets down to what they claim in the commercial.  For example: ANY 'male enhancement' ad ever.

On a related note, appeal to authority as an argument really only works if you have actual authority in the matter.  It also helps if you provide evidence instead of just claiming authority.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=24933&start=0

Wiifit:The professional Opinion. Fitness trainer talks openly about wiifit

that's a topic I made a few days ago, where esquire magazines fitness instructor and expert took to the final version of wiifit to give his impressions. He liked it, and said it would definately be beneficial to people's health, even though it won't replace the benefits of having a personal trainer.

a small snippet from the article

As for aerobics, reports were similarly positive, James trouncing Wii Fit's pelvis-swivelling Hula Hoop and DDR-like Step games, even if a three-minute whirl around a tropical island as part of the jogging exercise left him slightly out of breath. "The aerobics stuff is fantastic," he states. "It's probably the most beneficial of all the exercises on Wii Fit."

Ah come on.  What's a personal trainers opinion compared to some random forum goer who hase never seen, played or no much about anything about the "game."

Million said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:
Million said:
What where you guys expecting , 10/10's across ?

It's nintendo endorsed shovelware.

Wow.. go back under your bridge where you belong.

Does this site have moderators or what?

What , refusing to believe the hype is trolling ? What nintendo is doing should be illegal , calling a game "Wii-Fit" that'll likely cause more damage to your health than good from giving you the impression that it's beneficial to your health From a corporate perspective it's genius , However I feel that this game is Nintendo giving the consumer a kick in the teeth.

Care to explain how Wii-Fit damages your health?

People like us who regularly read gaming news etc are likely to be the only kind of people who understand exactly what Wii-Fit is (in the same way the consumer doesn't know about DLC on the 360 for GTA). We all know that Wii-Fit can't offer any siginifant health/fitness benefits in comparison to healthy eating , proper exercise (jogging , push up's sit up's Etc Etc).

According to the consumer protection act ( I think it is the consumer protection act) products should do exactly what they are advertised to do , Wii-Fit gives the consumer the imediate impression that the game would offer health benefits to the user , I'm pretty sure it's benefits are negible.

If some one believs they can play and loose weight at the same time how less likely are to engage in physical actiivty that actualy does have health benefits.

If nintnedo put a disclaimer on Wii-Fit like : should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected.

Then i'd be compleltey fine with it , but I dought they'll do that for the sake of sales.

Yeah...

1. the stuff it does actually does seem pretty beneficial as Yoga is a very healthy activity. Doing a half hour of yoga a day is equal to many workouts.

2. KFC was advertised as a health food LAST YEAR. You don't know anything about advertising and advertising laws.

3. Halo isn't about angels. You don't fight people in fight night... you play a videogame and you don't really play a guitar in guitar hero.

1. Yoga can't equal workouts that require you to use alot of energy such as running long distance or rowing a conoe for a mile. , I'd like to see some information that sais otherwise.

2. Dude what country are you in ? KFC would be facing a crazy class action lawsuit in the EU if they advertised it as health food , do you even know why it's called "KFC" and not Kentucky Fried Chicken ?

3. Your talking about a sci-fi GAME, a boxing video game and comparing it to a Fitness game with a workout board. Your making it sound like the consumer are complete idiots, they aren't , but they are however more gullable than the informed gamer.

If some one sees a game and a gaming board with various workouts you can do on that board then instantly the idea of getting fit while having fun is going to pop into their heads , I'd bet my life that's how Nintendo is marketing it , it's the whole reason they released it , this kinda thing has apeal. It theoreticaly makes a tedius,boring and painful procedure fun and exciting when we know it doesn't work that way.

1. Your wrong. All Yoga helps you get fit, and if your talking about weight loss plenty kinds of Yoga actually do burn calroies... often well more then running for 60 minutes. (Who runs for 60 minutes? I don't see joe gamer or a soccer mom running for more then around the block like once.)

2. USA and... no it seems like you don't know the law better then me... the EU has plenty of misleading adds too. I know a thing or two about ads.  You should really re-read that law in particular.  You'd be surprised what it actually does ban.

3. It does have plenty of fitness benefits... ask well experts who have reviewed it. See the above Vagabond post. Just admit it... your wrong and made a half assed lazy assumption.

alpha_dk said:
Million said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:

Million said:
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

1) You're flat out wrong. As I am assuming you've never done yoga, I will just tell you to try it sometime before you pass judgement. Chances are, if you do try it and you don't goof around, the next day you will be more sore then you would be from rowing a canoe for a mile. Until you have a clue what you're talking about, I would recommend giving up on this argument. I'll cede that there are things that yoga doesn't do for you, much like there are things that running doesn't do for you, and (insert name of other exercise regimen) doesn't do for you.

Used as part of a healthy lifestyle, Yoga is very helpful to many parts of being fit, many of which are the opposite of what running does for you. For example, if you are an amateur runner, you may not know that you should stretch afterwards, and so your flexibility will suffer. Yoga, on the other hand, is all about tone and flexibility, so it will get you less buffed but more toned than many other workouts.

2) Since you are apparently too lazy to actually do a google search, here is citiation for his claim about KFC:

3)"I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW." You apparently don't study law very often if you aren't aware of the egrigious claims people are allowed to make. Even if we assume WiiFit contains no benefits, which we've already established is a false assumption, then it gets down to what they claim in the commercial. For example: ANY 'male enhancement' ad ever.

On a related note, appeal to authority as an argument really only works if you have actual authority in the matter. It also helps if you provide evidence instead of just claiming authority.

Was that 2003?  Damn.  Time flies.

Million said:

OMG, no wonder western civilization is going down the toilet.  Your arguments are absurd, please ask your professors to give you some additional lessons.

Based on your rationale, ANYTHING that says it is good for you is actually bad for you.  People pick up low fat food ALL THE TIME and think they're being healthy and are less inclined to exercise or tend to eat more.  It is not the responsibility of the companies to anticipate social behavioral changes on the part of the consumer.

Advertisements for things that make you healthier are ALL OVER THE PLACE.  Everything from foods to vitamins to whatever.  This is not mind blowingly new in advertising FITNESS. 

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
Million said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:

Million said:
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

1) You're flat out wrong. As I am assuming you've never done yoga, I will just tell you to try it sometime before you pass judgement. Chances are, if you do try it and you don't goof around, the next day you will be more sore then you would be from rowing a canoe for a mile. Until you have a clue what you're talking about, I would recommend giving up on this argument. I'll cede that there are things that yoga doesn't do for you, much like there are things that running doesn't do for you, and (insert name of other exercise regimen) doesn't do for you.

Used as part of a healthy lifestyle, Yoga is very helpful to many parts of being fit, many of which are the opposite of what running does for you. For example, if you are an amateur runner, you may not know that you should stretch afterwards, and so your flexibility will suffer. Yoga, on the other hand, is all about tone and flexibility, so it will get you less buffed but more toned than many other workouts.

Wii-Fit =/= Yoga . I'm fuly aware you need a range of exercises and workouts to be able to achieve all round health and fiteness. I think Yoga Instructor ( or what ever you call them) wouldn't even recomend Wii-Fit as your main source of Yoga work out.

He said "KFC was advertised as a health food". that's different from

"fried chicken can be part of a healthy, balanced diet" and quotes the company's executive vice president of "marketing and food innovation" as saying: "With more and more Americans on diets and increasingly health-conscious, we thought it was important to get this information to consumers so they can judge for themselves how to make KFC part of their healthy lifestyle."

Forgive me for not researchning every single thing he said and assuming it to mean exactly what he said it did. KFC would get sued the to hell if they advertised it as healthy food. 

3)"I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW." You apparently don't study law very often if you aren't aware of the egrigious claims people are allowed to make. Even if we assume WiiFit contains no benefits, which we've already established is a false assumption, then it gets down to what they claim in the commercial. For example: ANY 'male enhancement' ad ever.

Dell Sued for false advertising

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4785641.stm

Yogurt maker sued for false advertising

http://www.woai.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=7b9a8e5d-e186-4167-899e-b008fd7f7176

Dannon sued for false advertising

http://food.propeller.com/story/2008/02/23/dannon-lawsuit-false-advertising-or-smart-marketing/

Company's sued over false weight loss claims 

http://news.sizenet.com/showdoc.asp?id=969

The reason those male enhancement ads such as Hair growth , Muscles builder etc can't be sued is because it's as hard to proove something like this is fake as it is to disprove it. As long as nintendo don't advertise Wii-Fit as a viable way to get fit they'll avoid getting their asses kicked in a court of law.

On a related note, appeal to authority as an argument really only works if you have actual authority in the matter. It also helps if you provide evidence instead of just claiming authority.

I hope i've provided enough evidence :)  l, Bai  

What evidence is that? Your only evidence is that TWO companies have gotten sued, with no evidence to state they have been successfully sued or settled. The Dannon one even says that the woman suing didnt win.

I can sue everyone in the entire world on anything, but it wouldnt matter unless I win.

Nintendo will never be sued for Wii Fit. They will NEVER say "This and only this will make you fit!" They will be like all companies and say that studies have proven for it to help in a healthy lifestyle.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Million's straw-man arguments are amusing!

The BuShA owns all!

I doubt he will post in this thread again...

On topic: I dont expect games like Wii Fit to get excellent reviews. A good review such as 80 or so is fine by me. It is not the standard sort of game, it encompasses two different activities and merges them, so of course people on the extreme ends of both sides will dislike it. "Hardcore" gamers will hate it because they dont see it as a real game, and Fitness buffs will dislike it because it doesnt have enough physical activity to severely impact a person's lifestyle.

Nintendo is the ultimate genius in gaming because it promotes not only entertainment through its consoles, but helps people who are generally idle to be introduced to sports and fitness. Instead of the bland running and walking they usually associate working out with, they now see that it can be fun. Same strategy with the Brain Training series. It wont significantly make you any smarter or have any more knowledge, but it can show you that learning can be fun. It can install the drive to be better in these areas.

I might just pick up Wii Fit just to see how it stands up to Wii Sports and if maybe I can get better balance :P

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Bursche said:
What evidence is that? Your only evidence is that TWO companies have gotten sued, with no evidence to state they have been successfully sued or settled. The Dannon one even says that the woman suing didnt win.

I can sue everyone in the entire world on anything, but it wouldnt matter unless I win.

Nintendo will never be sued for Wii Fit. They will NEVER say "This and only this will make you fit!" They will be like all companies and say that studies have proven for it to help in a healthy lifestyle.

Like I stated in my post , "As long as nintendo don't advertise Wii-Fit as a viable way to get fit they'll avoid getting their asses kicked in a court of law

Wether they won or not is beside the point , the mere fact that they had some thing to sue for indicates the ilelgality of it . False advertising is illegal in the EU (whether that's different in the US is beyond me). If a product advertises that it does A and it really does B or doesn't even manage to do A (putting it simply) then it is in violation of the law and the company responible for the product would be found liable in the civil courts.