By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit Review..........

False Advertising =/= misleading advertising.

Wii Fit will cause you to burn calories, and therefore make you lose weight. Even if the weight loss was minimal unless they said something like "Better for you than a fitness trainer!" It wouldn't break any laws.

I mean from the actual Danon article you just linked

"For the suit to contend Dannon's claims are unfounded, Reid said, is like saying "the New England Patriots aren't in the Super Bowl.""

Besides lawsuit =/= breaking the law, and sueing doesn't mean any of them actually won. Or did PS3 really infringe on an old ladies patent when they included blu-ray?

You kinda suck at law for somebody supposidly studying it... I'm hoping your in some undergraduate prelaw class or like... a highschool law class.

Around the Network
Million said:
alpha_dk said:
Million said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:

Million said:
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

1. Yoga can't equal workouts that require you to use alot of energy such as running long distance or rowing a conoe for a mile. , I'd like to see some information that sais otherwise.

2. Dude what country are you in ? KFC would be facing a crazy class action lawsuit in the EU if they advertised it as health food , do you even know why it's called "KFC" and not Kentucky Fried Chicken ?

I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW.

3. Your talking about a sci-fi GAME, a boxing video game and comparing it to a Fitness game with a workout board. Your making it sound like the consumer are complete idiots, they aren't , but they are however more gullable than the informed gamer.

If some one sees a game and a gaming board with various workouts you can do on that board then instantly the idea of getting fit while having fun is going to pop into their heads , I'd bet my life that's how Nintendo is marketing it , it's the whole reason they released it , this kinda thing has apeal. It theoreticaly makes a tedius,boring and painful procedure fun and exciting when we know it doesn't work that way.

1) You're flat out wrong. As I am assuming you've never done yoga, I will just tell you to try it sometime before you pass judgement. Chances are, if you do try it and you don't goof around, the next day you will be more sore then you would be from rowing a canoe for a mile. Until you have a clue what you're talking about, I would recommend giving up on this argument. I'll cede that there are things that yoga doesn't do for you, much like there are things that running doesn't do for you, and (insert name of other exercise regimen) doesn't do for you.

Used as part of a healthy lifestyle, Yoga is very helpful to many parts of being fit, many of which are the opposite of what running does for you. For example, if you are an amateur runner, you may not know that you should stretch afterwards, and so your flexibility will suffer. Yoga, on the other hand, is all about tone and flexibility, so it will get you less buffed but more toned than many other workouts.

Wii-Fit =/= Yoga . I'm fuly aware you need a range of exercises and workouts to be able to achieve all round health and fiteness. I think Yoga Instructor ( or what ever you call them) wouldn't even recomend Wii-Fit as your main source of Yoga work out.

2) Since you are apparently too lazy to actually do a google search, here is citiation for his claim about KFC:

http://www.slate.com/id/2090861

He said "KFC was advertised as a health food". that's different from

"fried chicken can be part of a healthy, balanced diet" and quotes the company's executive vice president of "marketing and food innovation" as saying: "With more and more Americans on diets and increasingly health-conscious, we thought it was important to get this information to consumers so they can judge for themselves how to make KFC part of their healthy lifestyle."

Forgive me for not researchning every single thing he said and assuming it to mean exactly what he said it did. KFC would get sued the to hell if they advertised it as healthy food. 

3)"I probably know far more about advertising law than you do , I study LAW." You apparently don't study law very often if you aren't aware of the egrigious claims people are allowed to make. Even if we assume WiiFit contains no benefits, which we've already established is a false assumption, then it gets down to what they claim in the commercial. For example: ANY 'male enhancement' ad ever.

Dell Sued for false advertising

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4785641.stm

Yogurt maker sued for false advertising

http://www.woai.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=7b9a8e5d-e186-4167-899e-b008fd7f7176

Dannon sued for false advertising

http://food.propeller.com/story/2008/02/23/dannon-lawsuit-false-advertising-or-smart-marketing/

Company's sued over false weight loss claims 

http://news.sizenet.com/showdoc.asp?id=969

The reason those male enhancement ads such as Hair growth , Muscles builder etc can't be sued is because it's as hard to proove something like this is fake as it is to disprove it. As long as nintendo don't advertise Wii-Fit as a viable way to get fit they'll avoid getting their asses kicked in a court of law.

On a related note, appeal to authority as an argument really only works if you have actual authority in the matter. It also helps if you provide evidence instead of just claiming authority.

I hope i've provided enough evidence :)  l, Bai  

Holy christ your post is hard to read.

First, look at the first line in what I was responding to.  You specifically say Yoga can't equal a 'real' workout (like how WiiSports can't equal a 'real' game?).  Not WiiFit, Yoga.

Writing what you mean will go a long way in a legal career, by the way... if you write a contract and it says something other than what you think it says, you better believe that the courts will go on the letter of the contract and not the intent.

Second, read my article.
The title: Chicken-Fried Bull: A new ad says KFC's drumsticks are good for you.
The ad itself:
Wife:"Remember how we talked about eating better? Well it starts today." Then she plops a 12-piece bucket of chicken in front of her husband.

All of this info is in the article I posted.  It unambiguously implies that a 12-piece bucket of KFC is part of 'eating better' -- whatever that means.

Reading Comprehension will go a long way in a law career, by the way.  Depending on whether you want to practice law after you 'study' it. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I'm not gonna get a reply, am I?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I can't believe how crazy this whole conversation is.

WiiFit encourages physical activities, including: push-ups, jogging, and yoga. If a person goes from doing none of those things, to doing them in even moderate amounts on a regular basis, they are headed towards a healthier lifestyle. And... that's what the game (or whatever you'd like to call it) is all about.

WiiFit does not need to be a full-substitute for a Personal Trainer, hardcore training regimen, suite of Yoga classes, or anything like it, in order to promote health and fitness. I imagine that there will be some people who, encouraged by WiiFit, will go out and seek those more in-depth fitness practices. Others will not, but what of that? The point is that a little bit of yoga is better than none at all.

what donathos said. Buying a treadmill is different from getting a gym membership, but that doesn't mean the treadmill is worthless and won't help you get in better shape. Wiifit is not a personal trainer, nor is it a gym. It's a fitness device that is designed to help you exercise and be aware of your health, and it will succeed in that goal.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

From the perspective of a stereotypical gamer, Wii Fit would score very low. It goes against everything they've come to believe games represent: it's a physical-activity-oriented piece of software that focuses on something besides "getting the power-up and winning the game" or any of the other traditional video gameplay experience models. One could rightly label it "functional software" more than a "video game". It's new and foreign and disrupts their idea of gaming, so of course they're going to rate it poorly. And ultimately, all their complaints will do is reveal how little impact they really have on the industry at large.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Million said:
famousringo said:
\

Nuh-uh! It's called Wii FIT! I'm pretty sure you lose weight just by buying it and leaving the box lying around your house.

By your tortured logic, people who go for a walk every day are less healthy because they might think that their 1/2 hour daily walk is substitute for hiring a personal trainer. Ban walking! Ban all low-grade physical activity!

Here's somebody who puts a lie to your completely speculative premise that Wii Fit offers no health benefits:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/04/02/the-great-experiment-wii-fit-%E2%80%93-final-report-or-how-i-lost-10-pounds-in-7-weeks-by-playing-video-games

I said "Wii-Fit can't offer any siginifant health/fitness benefits in comparison to healthy eating , proper exercise (jogging , push up's sit up's Etc Etc)."

" I'm pretty sure it's benefits are negible."

"should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected.

No where in my post did I say Wii-Fit offers no health benefits , I said the effects are neglible . In order to loose weight you must burn fat , in order to burn fat you must achieve and maintain a level of activity for a prolonged period of time (15minutes)

Using Wii-Fit for 1 hour might loose you a tiny bit of weight , but it's effects are dwarfed by say, jogging for 25 minutes.

Just admit that you didn't click the link because you can't admit to being wrong. 10 pounds in less than two months is a pretty good result, considering he would also be adding muscle mass.

Oh, but that's right, Wii Fit was terrible for him because he could have spent more money and time on a gym membership and a personal trainer and lost 15 pounds in the same peroid. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Who the heck cares what score it gets. WiiFit will be one of the best-selling games on any platform this generation, no question about that, and 95% of the people who will get it (or already bought it), never read any of these reviews and don't care about them at all!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Reviews will no affect of this games sales... I could care less.

They are probably fat lazy couch potatoes, that are P'oed Nintendo made a game that forces then to get off their fat lazy butts.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Reviews will no affect of this games sales... I could care less.

They are probably fat lazy couch potatoes, that are P'oed Nintendo made a game that forces then to get off their fat lazy butts.

Or maybe because breathing is a much better way to lose calories than wii fit.

mM