By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit Review..........

wartaal said:
just because something sells good doesnt mean its actually good.

but then,do average reviews really mean that theyre not good?

nintendo lovers should be proud of wii fit because they can say something different than "this game really pushes the hardware to the limit "or "new bar in realistic looking graphics".you know, if a shallow,simple game is fun, i think it wont hurt anyone in the long run 

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network

Havent had a chance to try it yesterday, as I got stuck playing MK:Wii.

And actually, I am scared of what it will tell me....so better loose some kilos BEFORE starting to play that frikkin game.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

and why is different good?

on hd consoles they are alot of innovative games, but they are mostly about gameplay. The innovatoin part isnt that obvious. The innovation part lies in gameplay mechanics and how ur character interacts with the world, that sort of things. Not with what device u are playing the game with(CONTROLLER,WII MOTE, WII BOARD ETC)

games on Wii fit are shallow and simple, not innovative at all. It looks innovative cuz they way you play it is different then from normal games, the game itself is anything but innovative.

making a game that is so simple and shallow that it cant be compared to other games is really ridiculous. Thats like saying McDonalds makes great food, because people who really like McDonalds have no taste of good food whatsoever, therefore you should only base ur opinion on how these people like this type of food.

it should be reviewed as a game, and you people should be content with even an 6,8. I think most of the reviewers already kept in mind that this game is for a target audience, otherwise it wouldnt scored an 8 on average.

Faxanadu said:
Havent had a chance to try it yesterday, as I got stuck playing MK:Wii.

And actually, I am scared of what it will tell me....so better loose some kilos BEFORE starting to play that frikkin game.

If anyone is very athletic or a regular weight lifter, Wii Fit will tell you that you're overweight since it uses the BMI to gauge fitness. But then, very athletic/weight lifters aren't exactly the target audience for Wii Fit.  Those who are athletes and may try it out anyway have the sense to know that BMI is best suited as a gauge for average people who maintain normal activity levels.

Something that measures muscle mass, body fat and water percentages say more about true fitness levels, which one could get from a Tanita scale.  

Anyway, the point of using Wii Fit is largely in part to track changes in your fitness level rather than to say because your BMI is over 30 that you get a frowny face. 

In regards to the increased metabolism, higher muscle mass, burn more calories at rest: true.

As for running (or jogging that raises heart rate to 140-170bpm if you're not a conditioned runner) not burning a significant amount of calories to induce weight loss: false.

Expecting to lose weight by running 20-25 minutes 2-3 times a week is unrealistic unless you're running under a 7 minute pace for the typical human, but if you're running at a rate that raised your heart rate in the 140-170bpm range for over 20 minutes at a time on a daily basis, you will have to run faster and faster to force your heart rate up as your body acclimates itself to the increased load. So instead of running 3 miles in 24 minutes, you're eventually running closer to 4 miles in the same amount of time. Not the best way to set up a run based training program since they should never be that basic, but as your mile times drop, surprise, surprise, your metabolism increases, your standing heart rate drops, you burn more energy at rest and unless you start eating more; you lose weight. 

But if anyone wants to argue that Wii led push ups and sit ups will produce the same results as even a moderate free weight lifting program, they might want to wait to see a spread of test results before making such claims.  

Pair the free weight program with off day running, gradually increasing distances and speed to maintain that 140-170bpm heart rate, and you'll see better results than you would by using Wii Fit, hour for hour. 

I, for one, look forward to the day when I spend an hour in the gym every day just so that when I log onto WiiFit I show improvement . WiiFit will be like WoW for me, only instead of epics I get fitter!

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

Great insight leo, how about Sony and Microsoft take a volume out of your book and make XboxShooter and PS3Shooter and watch them sell like mad, just like the Xbox and PS3... oh, wait...

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Kasz216 said:

By reading it... it seems they don't like to work out and do physical things. I'd expect similar low scores from most reviewers is the streotypes of gamers are to be considered.

Did anyone expect it to actually reveiw well?

Is there anyone who actually likes it ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

What i find amusing is I could post something on exercise balls and most here would care less. I could claim it cures cancer and only be told I'm wrong. Yet soon as It gets attached to a console. The device must be made by satan and here to destroy humanity.

I think IGN put it best it's really hard to review because it really isn't a game. So it could get a 10 or 1 based on how you are reviewing it.

It's like a movie reviewer, trying to review an exercise tape. It's next to pointless.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
hunter_alien said:
Kasz216 said:

By reading it... it seems they don't like to work out and do physical things. I'd expect similar low scores from most reviewers is the streotypes of gamers are to be considered.

Did anyone expect it to actually reveiw well?

Is there anyone who actually likes it ?

I do. Lifting and Running sux while you do it, but once you are done you feel SOOO much better.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

OriGin said:
Wow... Million is posting about fitness and weight loss when really he has absolutely no idea about these things.

25 minutes jogging is better for you than 1 hour of wii fit?

What?

Million - You've obviously got no idea about fitness and what causes weight loss and fitness.

1. Good luck losing weight by jogging for 25 minutes a day - it's going to do nothing. REAL weight loss is achieved by increasing muscle mass which in turn increases the body's BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) - why do you think there are so many fat people who eat lettuce and jog but don't lose any weight. They have completely the wrong idea.

2. I would argue with you until the end of my life that a workout using WiiFit for 1 hour is better than jogging for 25 minutes. First of all like I said above, Jogging is a complete waste of time anyway, plus the workout with WiiFit is a mixed workout which includes many strength and muscle training excercises.

3. I've used Wii Fit and you have not - you are commenting on something that you've 'watched video's of' sorry but everyone thinks that you wont get a real workout with WiiFit before they try it.

4. You obviously have no idea what type of exercises that WiiFit includes. There are pushups and situps (which you name as ways of keeping fit - WOW!) and many other strength based activities.

5. Nintendo themselves say that WiiFit is not a weight loss tool, it is a fitness tool to help you manage your lifestyle and keep yourself motivated to continue getting fit - guess what, in most cases this will lead to weight loss.

6. You have no idea what you're talking about so stop professing too.

This is a good post, but I want to make a specific point which you only imply in your post:

Fitness is not the same as weight loss.

Being slim does not mean that you are fit, and it's possible to be very fit while being quite obese (actually obese, not just obese because BMI doesn't understand muscle mass).

Jogging might not be very good for weight loss, but it's good cardio exercise which will make you more fit. Similarly, even if using Wii Fit didn't shed pounds (it does, check the link in my previous post), it will almost certainly improve fitness. All physical activity does to some degree.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.