By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit Review..........

Million said:
What , refusing to believe the hype is trolling ? What nintendo is doing should be illegal , calling a game "Wii-Fit" that'll likely cause more damage to your health than good from giving you the impression that it's beneficial to your health From a corporate perspective it's genius , However I feel that this game is Nintendo giving the consumer a kick in the teeth.

Whoa...

Here bro.

www.prozac.com

Call me in the morning.

Around the Network

Just saw this on neogaf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJOEL63zUSY
how in the hell did he do that (perfect score in the soccer game)

Someone watch that video and say it isn't a game

It's a collection of mini games. Like many softs published for the Wii. Obviously Wii Fit was not intended as a traditional game with a beginning, middle and end in that there is no way to "beat the game."

I can just see the potential gamer boasts already: "I lost 20 pounds and dropped my BMI from an pudgy 31 to a stunningly svelte 19: I KILLED this game!!!! I KICK ASS AT WII FIT!!!"

But it's also an exercise program with some fun balance based games thrown in for fun and variety.

That being said, I really don't see how a typical game reviewer would be giving Wii Fit a perfect 10 or even high 9s. It's something better off reviewed by the mainstream press or even the health/fitness press as a curiosity.

I already ordered two copies myself through Amazon to try out and make my own assessment; no point in reading any video game reviews for this type of release anyway. I found that fitness review link someone posted last week to be more informative.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:
Million said:
What where you guys expecting , 10/10's across ?

It's nintendo endorsed shovelware.

Wow.. go back under your bridge where you belong.

Does this site have moderators or what?

What , refusing to believe the hype is trolling ? What nintendo is doing should be illegal , calling a game "Wii-Fit" that'll likely cause more damage to your health than good from giving you the impression that it's beneficial to your health From a corporate perspective it's genius , However I feel that this game is Nintendo giving the consumer a kick in the teeth.

Care to explain how Wii-Fit damages your health?

People like us who regularly read gaming news etc are likely to be the only kind of people who understand exactly what Wii-Fit is (in the same way the consumer doesn't know about DLC on the 360 for GTA). We all know that Wii-Fit can't offer any siginifant health/fitness benefits in comparison to healthy eating , proper exercise (jogging , push up's sit up's Etc Etc).

According to the consumer protection act ( I think it is the consumer protection act) products should do exactly what they are advertised to do , Wii-Fit gives the consumer the imediate impression that the game would offer health benefits to the user , I'm pretty sure it's benefits are negible.

If some one believs they can play and loose weight at the same time how less likely are to engage in physical actiivty that actualy does have health benefits. 

If nintnedo put a disclaimer on Wii-Fit like : should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit  , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected. 

Then i'd be compleltey fine with it , but I dought they'll do that for the sake of sales.

Oh, I'm sure there are going to be disclaimers all over Wii Fit, maybe even some sort of statement saying it's primary purpose is for ENTERTAINMENT and that it is not a substitute for a physician approved exercise program and sensible diet.

Ironically, there will probably also be disclaimers recommending an evaluation by your physician before starting any new exercise program for legal immunity when someone finally suffers from cardiac arrest while using Wii Fit.

They have to put it in there, just like they have that ubiquitous disclaimer screen just for using the Wii mote and that disclaimer in every game manual for those who could potentially suffer from epileptic seizures while playing video games.

People are going to buy it anyway, even if sales are mainly fueled by hype and the marketing blitz.

For someone who had little to no initial interest in this release (more interested in the balance board as a gaming peripheral), I'm actually looking forward to being amused by playing with Wii Fit.

Around the Network
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Million said:
Foshoryuken said:
Million said:
What where you guys expecting , 10/10's across ?

It's nintendo endorsed shovelware.

Wow.. go back under your bridge where you belong.

Does this site have moderators or what?

People like us who regularly read gaming news etc are likely to be the only kind of people who understand exactly what Wii-Fit is (in the same way the consumer doesn't know about DLC on the 360 for GTA). We all know that Wii-Fit can't offer any siginifant health/fitness benefits in comparison to healthy eating , proper exercise (jogging , push up's sit up's Etc Etc).

According to the consumer protection act ( I think it is the consumer protection act) products should do exactly what they are advertised to do , Wii-Fit gives the consumer the imediate impression that the game would offer health benefits to the user , I'm pretty sure it's benefits are negible.

If some one believs they can play and loose weight at the same time how less likely are to engage in physical actiivty that actualy does have health benefits.

If nintnedo put a disclaimer on Wii-Fit like : should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected.

Then i'd be compleltey fine with it , but I dought they'll do that for the sake of sales.

OMG. I can't believe I actually read that post. I feel like I've lost some IQ points.

If the box said "Lose weight and get in prime physical shape", then you might have a point. It doesn't and you don't.

On topic: Read the quote in my sig. I kind of wish that all of the gaming websites would score this game really low so that they could all cry their fanboy tears for the rest of the year while wiifit sells millions.

I wonder when someone will start a website that caters to the "casual" gamer. Game reviewers for the most part don't have a clue how to deal with games that don't fit into their preconcieved notions of gaming. A site with a focus on flash games, mini games, xbla, psn, vc and wiiware would probably get a ton of traffic if properly handled and promoted. There's obviously a lot people playing these games, somebody should make some money off of them.

Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

If nintnedo put a disclaimer on Wii-Fit like : should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected.

Nuh-uh! It's called Wii FIT! I'm pretty sure you lose weight just by buying it and leaving the box lying around your house.

By your tortured logic, people who go for a walk every day are less healthy because they might think that their 1/2 hour daily walk is substitute for hiring a personal trainer. Ban walking! Ban all low-grade physical activity!

Here's somebody who puts a lie to your completely speculative premise that Wii Fit offers no health benefits:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/04/02/the-great-experiment-wii-fit-%E2%80%93-final-report-or-how-i-lost-10-pounds-in-7-weeks-by-playing-video-games

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

gamesmags/sites rate games under the aspect of how fun to play it is not not how good it could be for your health or life or anything ...
and I don't expect WiiFit to be any better than a 7 as a game

Well, tbh I usually give a lot of cred to Computer & Videogames, I subscribed to their magazine for nearly 5 years and I liked their borad and accepting scope of games on all platforms. I found them to be fair.
I'm a little divided on this one, on one hand I never really had any faith in Wii Fit as a game and I trust these guys considerably more than GS for instance, and on the other hand; I really make it a point not to pass down judgement before having played it myself.
Seems kinda low, but if I were reviewing it, the story could've been very similar I think. To each his own I suppose, and I don't think this one review will have a negative impact on sales at any rate...

Million said:

If nintnedo put a disclaimer on Wii-Fit like : should not be used purely as a means of loosing Weight or getting fit  , regular exercise and a healthy diet should not be neglected. 

Actually at least in my Japanese version, the in-game Wii Board avatar thing says about eating healthy and doing other things as well. But as I discussed in another thread, I think it is also more likely to keep people on an exercise plan because of displaying your progress and the virtual trainer's comments and encouragements. Of course other exercise and going outside is good for you as well. Also, for some people, this is not the game for them, but based on some of the around 40 minute competitions I've had a few times with people, I feel it is at least a reasonably good game. Maybe not 9 or 10 in total, but I can see 8.