By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGO Beta: How is it?

i love it thought it was slow fo rthe first 30 minutes bt now i have over 8 hours

the auto aim really sucks tho cept for SMG (lol its funny when you can uto aim and the other person is too far :P)

sniper is really really fun and head shots are good whit em

there is NO lag! wow i not seen any lag what so ever

and yep im addictied now

i really wish thay would teach is abot CQC i hate getiong out too sleep then a knife too the face......

over all it hink i will be playing this game for a while come june

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

Around the Network

Im liking it, but it does have a steep learning curve. There is lovely tutorial though.

The Skills system is very weak and entirely unexplained.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

makingmusic476 said:
Just wondering, but does anybody else have problems getting their headset to work with MGO? I got the Warhawk/headset bundle a long time ago, and the headset has worked fine until I started playing MGO. It won't connect to my ps3 at all if I turn it on while playing MGO, and if I turn it on before starting MGO, the ps3 recognizes it but MGO still doesn't.

Anybody got any tips?

I was starting to worry when I no one seemed to have a headset. I did see 1 guy have a "he's talking with voice" graphic in the bottom right but I still didn't hear anything. Other that that, I don't think headsets are working yet. Keyboard does work for chat, and I saw the option for F1-12 to be quick communication shortcuts, so that's cool. This game BADLY needs voice, though, because it's so tactical.

When is the full game going to be released, I dought i'll get the chance to play the beta.

After playing CoD4, this did seem very slow and unpolished. However, I was using autoaim for a good couple of hours before I realized it mostly sucks. I was getting really tired of everyone getting 75% kills with headshots and me not getting any.

I do think autoaim is decent with hand guns. It only takes about 5-6 shots to kill someone with the basic hand gun. Interesting that a few of you said SMGs were decent with auto. I guess I had a little luck with the P90.

However, the thing that has sold me on this game: knife fights. I used to knife fight in Counter-strike but because the game is so slow (ahem...tactical...heh) and the aiming is so haphazard (although just now I got owned quite a lot so people are catching on with that 3rd person it seems), you can actually compete on Blood Bath with knives.

I was playing Capture with this guy and he put me to sleep so that I couldn't do anything for a good 30 seconds probably. That was awesome so I started trying that. I need to figure out how to kill people in a hold, though, so I don't have to put them to sleep. Just usin aim and "shoot" with a knife is fairly effective, but if someone grabs you during your attack it's no good.

CQC seems deep because I've seen people get out of holds, and I've seen people roll over after holding someone. I haven't figured that out yet...

Someone mentioned a tutorial? I should check that out...I'd like a complete command list, though...maybe I didn't use the menu correctly. It seems like there's depth to everything...ugh.

Oh well, the servers seem down now so perhaps I should sleep soon.

Around the Network
JOKA_ said:
I played Subistence online until the day it got taken down and loved every minute of it. After playing MGO for two days now i can already tell my addiction is going to start again. It reminds me so much of subsistence but with added stuff like character customization, skill sets, amazing graphics, etc. And getting a headshot is still the coolest feeling in the world :)

The only problems I have with it so far are:
1) Grozny Grad map....I loathe it. It feels cool to run around in a MGS3 level but its just too big
2) The controls do take a loooong time to get used to, but overall it seems to work fine. Im not quite sure what im doing with CQC either, but then again i havn't used it much
3) this is a small thing, but whenever someone dies they make the same dieing scream and it gets pretty annoying after a while :P

I like that huge map. If you're patient it actually feels like you have to sneak around instead of just running around like a crazy man.

Million said:
When is the full game going to be released, I dought i'll get the chance to play the beta.

It'll be released 6/12/08

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell

It's not a bad game, but there can be some improvements made. I haven't read everybody else's post, but I'll give my opinion on it.

Don't expect something like Call of Duty 4 or Resistance: Fall of Man multiplayer from this, you'll be disappointed. It's a much slower type of game, I guess you could say it's a little more tactical because of that and because of the SOP (Sons of The Patriots) gameplay mechanic, which has you pressing triangle when grouped with team mates to 'link' up with them and you can see them through the map and there will be alerts if they're in trouble and stuff like that.

Graphically, it looks good. The maps and characters have lots of detail, but there really aren't many graphical effects so it feels a little lacking in the "ooohhhhh's" and "ahhhhhh's" department. The sound effects aren't bad, but I for one would be overjoyed if they added more death screams because it's like you only hear the same screams over and over again and that gets annoying when a bunch of people get hit within a short time.

The controls are complicated, but it gets better as you get used to them. Not only that, I would imagine that getting used to the controls now will put you a step above non-beta players when it finally comes time to play through MGS4. The biggest problem I have with the controls would have to be how the auto-aim feature works. What happens is that when you select auto-aim and then press L1 to bring up your gun, the camera will be move and lock behind your character. This is a big problem for me because I use my camera to keep an eye out on my environments and if I see an enemy, I'll react by pressing L1, but it usually screws me because now my camera gets locked behind the character instead of the character turning to face the camera direction. The way to get by this is to not be eager to press L1 and instead, face an enemy first before you try to lock onto them with auto-aim.

Talking about auto-aim brings me to the next point, the actual combat. I haven't used all of the CQC and weapons yet, but my biggest complaint is the shooting. Auto-aim seems to be very difficult to lock onto somebody and feels rather finicky about when it wants to lock on. This is bad because I find that unless I get a headshot, auto-aim is the most effective way to actually kill somebody. Aiming over the shoulder or in first person doesn't feel effective at all and unless you happen to get a headshot. It feels like unloading your entire magazine into the enemy wont do much of anything. Lastly, I think that they should do something about the health because I don't believe there is any way to get more once you've been hit. I wouldn't mind regenerating health, but I would at least settle for health packs (unless you can actually get more health and I have no idea how).

*edit* Oh man, I have to make an edit here to briefely talk about grenades. I haven't used them all yet, but they feel so ineffective against enemies. I can throw one right at the feet of one or more enemies, it'll blow up and send them flying (sometimes humurously smacking them into walls) and they get right back up.

Lastly, does anybody know what you have to do when you're being choked in CQC and the image of the left analog stick comes up on the screen? It looks like you have to shake it left and right, but I do that and it doesn't look like anything happens. I think that I would rather just let myself die because I'm using my brand new Dualshock 3 after the left analog stick on my Sixaxis is now off center from being too hard on it, I don't need to bust my new controller too.

windbane said:
JOKA_ said:
I played Subistence online until the day it got taken down and loved every minute of it. After playing MGO for two days now i can already tell my addiction is going to start again. It reminds me so much of subsistence but with added stuff like character customization, skill sets, amazing graphics, etc. And getting a headshot is still the coolest feeling in the world :)

The only problems I have with it so far are:
1) Grozny Grad map....I loathe it. It feels cool to run around in a MGS3 level but its just too big
2) The controls do take a loooong time to get used to, but overall it seems to work fine. Im not quite sure what im doing with CQC either, but then again i havn't used it much
3) this is a small thing, but whenever someone dies they make the same dieing scream and it gets pretty annoying after a while :P

I like that huge map. If you're patient it actually feels like you have to sneak around instead of just running around like a crazy man.

I agree, I like that Gronzy Grad is giant, but they need to make it so that people can constantly be replaced by new players should they quit because I don't think a large map like this should be played unless you're playing with a full crowd. 

ameratsu said:
I enjoyed my time with it so far and think it has good potential however i have the following issues

- needs a speed burst or something. skill perhaps?
- cqc doesn't work right for me, maybe i'm not doing it right (i think some of the better stuff is unlocked at lvl 2-3)
- claymores should only hurt enemies. i know it's not as realistic but i'm tired of teammates hitting my claymores.
- enable push to talk for voice chat
- cover system would work fine for single player, but is too slow and unresponsive for multiplayer

Fast Move is a skill that increases your movement speed. There is push to talk to use the mic, you push select. I partially agree with the Claymore thing.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!