By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGO Beta: How is it?

DMeisterJ said:

How is the beta? 

I want to know if MGO is really good or not.

It's the best shooter on the PS3, much better than Warhawk and UT III. Lots of team work, lots of cover use, lots of flanking, lots of sneaking, lots of trapping, outpositioning, planning ahead, trying to figure out the enemy's movement. This is a totally unique experience, not like anything else I've played. Maybe some similarity to GRAW multiplayer? but haven't played that.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
ameratsu said:
I enjoyed my time with it so far and think it has good potential however i have the following issues

- needs a speed burst or something. skill perhaps?
- cqc doesn't work right for me, maybe i'm not doing it right (i think some of the better stuff is unlocked at lvl 2-3)
- claymores should only hurt enemies. i know it's not as realistic but i'm tired of teammates hitting my claymores.
- enable push to talk for voice chat
- cover system would work fine for single player, but is too slow and unresponsive for multiplayer

I agree with the cover system. Getting behind cover and moving to the edge of a wall is very slow. Something else that bothers me about it is that when I'm wall pressing and peek out to shoot, over the shoulder is fine, but it's been nearly impossible to go into first person to shoot.

I guess I can agree with claymores. I haven't had any problems yet (aside from killing myself onetime), but I can see how people can be dicks and use them to teamkill. I don't know what they should do about it because if they make it so that claymores can't hurt friendlies, then what about all the other guns? Perhaps if it it goes the way of a vote that the players (or team) has to participate in to remove the teamkiller? Or how about Halo 3, doesn't Halo 3 have a thing that when a player teamkills you a couple of times, you can get the option to forgive or kick him or her out? 

Ok here is my opinion on it:
I love it! but it has some issues
First of all I love how many tactics seem to work, I love to lay down dead and people just pass by so i follow them and CQC them... and I've seen many good people that are stealthing really well.
What i really dont like a lot is the shooting... it seems a bit odd and i just cant seem to do enough damage with it, maybe i just plain suck and I am better off stealthing (which i got pretty good at :)).
Other minor complaints and this is not on the game but on the people playing:

1) this is not Cod:4 or Halo! Don't just go around like rambo and shoot shoot shoot, IMO this game is meant to played in a much slower pace. But i still see people that haven't even tried to be stealthy all they do is run, shoot, die, repeat... Then I'd see why you don't like this game...

2) If someone is CQC another person don't just shoot the enemy... come on i've been team killed countless times because I was chocking a guy, a team mate wanted to steal the kill and got me instead killing the enemy and me... so not only have i lost a kill, i also gain a death (which takes off points) and the team loses a ticket... just wait until i have stopped or the guy is free, seriously.

Anyway for the rest i really enjoyu it and the maps are good, even if blood bath is a bit small and isn't easy to be stelathy... the best you can do is lay down dead and wait... oh well

Here is a tip for CQC on how to roll over when yoy grab a guy:

So grab him and press X like this you will sit down, then stop pressing R1 and immediatly press R1 and left on the analog stick, you will roll over. This is really useful because if you start chocking him (pressing triangle) his stamina bar will start going down really fast and if the guy gets free, he will be laying on the gorund and you will be ready to shoot him or CQC him again, stunning him for sure!

Hope it helped!

decels said:

Decels, how hard to you have to struggle on the analog stick to get out of CQC or wake up from being knocked out?

SPECIAL QUESTION to all :

(the only thing I (we) want to know)

Will u stil support this game, playing this game and accept his flaws IF the game was not called METAL GEAR online ?????????????????????????

thx

(with others words : biaised by the brand ?)

Time to Work !

Around the Network

That's a very generic question that can be applied to every game. It's really hard to answer it because the game has the trademarks of MGS weapons and attacks. Still, the most difficult part about trying to answer that question is that this game is having a starter pack inside each copy of MGS4 (if my memory serves me right) so this is kind of an added bonus alongside the real point of my interest, MGS4.

If problems in the beta are not fixed by the time the game comes out, or not even fixed after the launch of a retail version/starter pack, then I will have a problem with it. If the game turns out to be really awesome after the launch of MGS4, then I may think about picking up a full retail copy of it (but it'd have to be really awesome though).

IllegalPaladin said:
decels said:

Decels, how hard to you have to struggle on the analog stick to get out of CQC or wake up from being knocked out?

Very good question. It shows the analog stick moving but I can't figure anything out besides just hitting it really fast back and forth to speed it up. decels: thanks a lot for that roll over technique. I have been trying to figure that out for a long time. I have noticed that people are getting better at shooting so it's harder to CQC people. The fact that you can look around in non-shoulder 3rd person is awesome and really justifies the awkwardness you feel wit shooting until you get used to it. Having to move he camera then get lined up to off-shoulder shoot is challenging. I am definitely noticing the tactcs that ckmlb is talking about. On both maps, too. I just played a long 2 on 2 match on Blood Bath and that made it into more of a cat and mouse game than the usual..."blood bath." Grenades are fun. I played with 1 guy that all he did was use dirty magazines and they got teammates more than enemies. Hopefully once everyone has a mic they'll be able to warn teammates because those things are very effective. They can work on multiple people at once.

Oh, and Palladin, I've mostly given up on autoaim even though the curve is steep for off-shoulder 3rd person shooting, It's worth it because it does make things easier.

My favorite thing is that they created a entirely new experience. It isn't like Warhawk or COD 4. Expect something new.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I want to try the everybody vs Snake to see how well the octo-cammo looks and how it works, but I guess I'll be waiting to actually just play MGS4.