By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGO Beta: How is it?

I enjoyed my time with it so far and think it has good potential however i have the following issues

- needs a speed burst or something. skill perhaps?
- cqc doesn't work right for me, maybe i'm not doing it right (i think some of the better stuff is unlocked at lvl 2-3)
- claymores should only hurt enemies. i know it's not as realistic but i'm tired of teammates hitting my claymores.
- enable push to talk for voice chat
- cover system would work fine for single player, but is too slow and unresponsive for multiplayer

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

I won't say it's a bad game by any means. It's just that the controls are far different then any I'm used to.

I think they should make weapon swapping a bit easier as it's fairly clunky right now. Aiming is another issue that I have with it so far. I can understand having a aim/gun ready button as L1. However, the aiming when not in FPS is horrible and auto aim is a joke and I hate that they put in a crutch like that for the unskilled.

But, this is a beta and we just need to convey to them what it is that we do not like, what needs to be fixed, and how they can make MGO a better game. I don't go into any beta expecting it to be a finished game. But to me, they do have alot of work to do. I'll get MGS4, but I just don't know if I'll end up playing MGO.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I wish the sensitivity for both third-person and first-person shooting could be higher...it's too slow...

I need more time...

Very Slow! If you've been playing COD4 a lot, you'll feel like falling asleep. Just remember, this is a tactical game. It's more about position and precision.

It's also not a casual game by any means. As some have already mentioned, the controls are vast. Some would say it's unnecessarily complex. For example, there's three different ways to target people. The default setting is auto aim. You go up to someone, press L1 to target, R1 to shoot. The auto-aim distance is really small for everything except SMGs. If you press square at any time, auto aim shuts off and you can over-the-shoulder aim ala Uncharted/RE4. Finally you can enter FPS mode by holding L1 and then just pressing triangle. There's advantages and disadvantages to each mode depending on gun and depending on your position. It's a lot to keep track of but personally, climbing the learning curve is really satisfying.

One thing that I think is cool is the points system. Different style kills are worth different point values. Headshots are worth more than killing someone with body shots for example. Goes to show the emphasis on precision. To kill someone with autoaim, you often have to unload an entire clip. So it can be to your advantage to take some shots to lineup a headshot.

There's more I could talk about, but I'm tired. Overall, I'd give the game a B or an 80/100. I'm not too thrilled about the 2 maps (Grosnygrad is okay, but Bloodbath is just uninteresting and too small). I think the CQC melee moves need to be more responsive; it feels like there's a slight delay between the moment you press the button and the moment you execute the move (at least when CQCing with your primary weapon). I also think the speed of the characters should a bit higher. If they make some improvements, I'll probably buy the full MGO game. Otherwise, I might just stick COD4 and perhaps GTA4 multiplayer.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Just wondering, but does anybody else have problems getting their headset to work with MGO? I got the Warhawk/headset bundle a long time ago, and the headset has worked fine until I started playing MGO. It won't connect to my ps3 at all if I turn it on while playing MGO, and if I turn it on before starting MGO, the ps3 recognizes it but MGO still doesn't.

Anybody got any tips?

Around the Network

So far I think it is great, but it seems like people are either going to love it or hate it.  Pretty much my only complaints is it takes way too long to get out of stuns.  Also shooting anywhere but the head is fairly worthless, right now I think 75% of my kills are probably headshots.

I don't see autoaim as a crutch for n00bs at all. It isn't like Metroid Prime autoaim where you can easily lock onto any enemy. The range for autoaim is really small and to kill someone with it when you're locked on requires a ton of bullets. In most situations you'll be at a major disadvantage relying on autoaim.

So why have autoaim at all? If you didn't have it, you would either have to always be in over-shoulder-view, which diminishes your field of view or whenever you hit L1 to aim, the camera would have to zoom in for over-shoulder-cam. The zoomed out standard view allows you to survey your environment and plan out your attacks much better.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Yakuza, I totally understand your frustration, but I feel like tactical espionage is all about the efficient kills, aka headshots. I think the balance between headshots damage and body shot damage is perfect for what this game is trying to be. A Metal Gear online game shouldn't reward you for just running and gunning people down.

My Top 5:

I played Subistence online until the day it got taken down and loved every minute of it. After playing MGO for two days now i can already tell my addiction is going to start again. It reminds me so much of subsistence but with added stuff like character customization, skill sets, amazing graphics, etc. And getting a headshot is still the coolest feeling in the world :)

The only problems I have with it so far are:
1) Grozny Grad map....I loathe it. It feels cool to run around in a MGS3 level but its just too big
2) The controls do take a loooong time to get used to, but overall it seems to work fine. Im not quite sure what im doing with CQC either, but then again i havn't used it much
3) this is a small thing, but whenever someone dies they make the same dieing scream and it gets pretty annoying after a while :P

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

jman8 said:
Yakuza, I totally understand your frustration, but I feel like tactical espionage is all about the efficient kills, aka headshots. I think the balance between headshots damage and body shot damage is perfect for what this game is trying to be. A Metal Gear online game shouldn't reward you for just running and gunning people down.

I don't think it should be run and gun either.  However from what I've seen, people just spray at each other until a bullet connects with one of their heads.  I guess it is also to help limit people from sniping with assault rifles.  I'm not sure if there is a happy medium right now.  If they fine tune the first person view, I think the current damage system would be fine though.