By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's with the bad (at least not as good) Mario Kart Wii reviews?

i think it's partly because all of our expectations were really high

Around the Network

how dare they give a good game an 8 and up, shame on them.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

It surpasses expectations.

You don't know what I did when watching a Mario Kart Wii video...

It gives new life to the pun "Wii."

*Disclaimer: Nothing Happened*

*Dis-Disclaimer: Or did it?*

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Asstard players who are incapable of...

Ah screw it. I already explained it for New Blood. If game too hard, game BAD!! IT MUST BE PUNSIHED!

Let's give it a 50 because I can't hold my fat arm steady enough to play! Please, don't remind me of that crap. 

I was going to start my own MK impressions thread, but this one will do.

In short - the game is awesome. From the second I turned it on, I have been nothing other than impressed with the title. The first thought I had was "Mario Kart Arcade" - its like have an arcade racer in your home.

What I can't understand the most with reviews, are the comments on graphics. I think they are fantastic - other than upping the resolution, I can't imagine how they could be better.

It looks a long way ahead of MK:DD. The characters/cars seem more detailed, have more personality, more detail and they just suit the game great.

The levels are very colourful, have a lot more animation than we have seen in the past - and little touches like streams of Miis standing by the side of the road add a lot to the game.

The increase from 8 to 12 racers makes the game feel more like a "real GP" - it makes a real difference.

The tracks a lot wider, this seems to make the game more fun - plenty of room for drifting & racing.

Played a few games online and apart from taking a few seconds to setup a race - it played flawlessly. I'm very impressed with the way they handled people dropping out & rejoining - its done in a way that doesn't disturb the race for others. Awesome.

I also like the "license" system (basically save slots) - it very simply shows you what the player has achieved - and there is plenty to do (3 cups, 3 difficulty levels).

I agree that Battle Mode is a little disappointing - simply because there could have been a lot MORE game modes, and options - with customisation and so on. But at the same time, its obvious WHY they designed the game like this - its all about online. The team battles & simple game modes are very much designed to make the game simple to join & play online.

I was also really impressed with all the control options. I picked up a spare WiiWheel, and if I have the option - it will always be my preferred way of playing the game. We only have 2 Wiimotes - but a couple of spare GC controllers, so 4 player was no issue.

The game doesn't look as good in 4 player mode - but no real surprise there. It runs well enough (solid 30fps I would say), and plays just fine on my TV.

Its a solid 9 for me, and really is the Wii game I have been waiting for. I expect this to keep selling strongly for months, if not years to come - it should be a perennial favourite.

(EDIT: I'm a little shocked, but I really enjoy playing the game in "Automatic" mode - with no drift boosts, and auto drifting. Will probably switch back to manual mode later, but the "ease" of play in Auto mode makes the game more of a joy to game, and I can focus on driving & worrying about taking out the other karts. It was a great move IMO.). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

as a non Wii owners who loves Mario Kart. I think it got a pretty fair score. I was hoping it doesn't drop below 8 which would be a shame.

It's very clear that Nintendo didn't make this game as polish as they did with SMG or SSBB, less balancing issue. If this game is delayed for 6 months, I have no question it will be in the 9s.

as for now, It lies between SSBB and Mario Party 8. Good servicable game that well sell well.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
shams said:

I was going to start my own MK impressions thread, but this one will do.

In short - the game is awesome. From the second I turned it on, I have been nothing other than impressed with the title. The first thought I had was "Mario Kart Arcade" - its like have an arcade racer in your home.

What I can't understand the most with reviews, are the comments on graphics. I think they are fantastic - other than upping the resolution, I can't imagine how they could be better.

It looks a long way ahead of MK:DD. The characters/cars seem more detailed, have more personality, more detail and they just suit the game great.

The levels are very colourful, have a lot more animation than we have seen in the past - and little touches like streams of Miis standing by the side of the road add a lot to the game.

The increase from 8 to 12 racers makes the game feel more like a "real GP" - it makes a real difference.

The tracks a lot wider, this seems to make the game more fun - plenty of room for drifting & racing.

Played a few games online and apart from taking a few seconds to setup a race - it played flawlessly. I'm very impressed with the way they handled people dropping out & rejoining - its done in a way that doesn't disturb the race for others. Awesome.

I also like the "license" system (basically save slots) - it very simply shows you what the player has achieved - and there is plenty to do (3 cups, 3 difficulty levels).

I agree that Battle Mode is a little disappointing - simply because there could have been a lot MORE game modes, and options - with customisation and so on. But at the same time, its obvious WHY they designed the game like this - its all about online. The team battles & simple game modes are very much designed to make the game simple to join & play online.

I was also really impressed with all the control options. I picked up a spare WiiWheel, and if I have the option - it will always be my preferred way of playing the game. We only have 2 Wiimotes - but a couple of spare GC controllers, so 4 player was no issue.

The game doesn't look as good in 4 player mode - but no real surprise there. It runs well enough (solid 30fps I would say), and plays just fine on my TV.

Its a solid 9 for me, and really is the Wii game I have been waiting for. I expect this to keep selling strongly for months, if not years to come - it should be a perennial favourite.

(EDIT: I'm a little shocked, but I really enjoy playing the game in "Automatic" mode - with no drift boosts, and auto drifting. Will probably switch back to manual mode later, but the "ease" of play in Auto mode makes the game more of a joy to game, and I can focus on driving & worrying about taking out the other karts. It was a great move IMO.).

nice read

sounds pretty solid to me 

Typical Nintendo fanboy denial.

I've seen a couple dozen reviews and they were all good. Which reviews are you talking about?

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Wii software sales are immune to poor SW sales... no need to worry about what a few assine reviewer have to say.

The Game is somwhere between DD and SMK in Gameplay from what I hear... and that means it is pretty awsome.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut