By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's with the bad (at least not as good) Mario Kart Wii reviews?

FreeTalkLive said:
I've seen a couple dozen reviews and they were all good. Which reviews are you talking about?

he's just talking about the overall rating average (on sites like gamerankings)

Around the Network

Here's my quick review of the game:

The graphics are pretty much identical to the gamecube especially on the old tracks, while looking slightly better on the new tracks. They are far from the best on the Wii and end up looking slightly washed out on my screen, however.
There are now 3(!) power-ups that affect all the racers on the track and the blue shell is still in the game to blow up the first place driver, much to my annoyance. Also snaking is out, making the game far too easy in my opinion. Winning in Mario Kart Wii is now mostly based on luck.

As for new features, motorbikes handle mostly the same as the karts and the tricks are pretty fun to pull off. The new tracks are decent too with plenty of shortcuts to find and master.

The soundtrack in the game isn't that bad but none of the tracks stand out. The voice acting is predictably annoying.

Graphics - 7
Gameplay - 8
Sound - 7
Lasting appeal - 8

Overall 7.5

I've only seen 3 bad reviews. Edge and some other place gave it a 60. EGM gave it like a C+ average. Everything else was 80 or higher. I'm going to explode from anticipation if I can't find this at midnight.

Oh, bleu-ocelot, you're such a freaking troll and I hope you get banned.

Phendrana said:
I've only seen 3 bad reviews. Edge and some other place gave it a 60. EGM gave it something like a C+ average. Everything else was 80 or higher. I'm going to explode from anticipation if I can't find this at midnight.

IMO, i think 80+ is decent. Just that some ppl expect it to be like SMG

Shameless said:

The graphics are pretty much identical to the gamecube especially on the old tracks, while looking slightly better on the new tracks. They are far from the best on the Wii and end up looking slightly washed out on my screen, however.
There are now 3(!) power-ups that affect all the racers on the track and the blue shell is still in the game to blow up the first place driver, much to my annoyance. Also snaking is out, making the game far too easy in my opinion. Winning in Mario Kart Wii is now mostly based on luck.

As for new features, motorbikes handle mostly the same as the karts and the tricks are pretty fun to pull off. The new tracks are decent too with plenty of shortcuts to find and master.

The soundtrack in the game isn't that bad but none of the tracks stand out. The voice acting is predictably annoying.

Graphics - 7
Gameplay - 8
Sound - 7
Lasting appeal - 8

Overall 7.5

If snaking were still in the game and operated just as it did in previous iterations of the game, what would you score it as? 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
dsoverpsp said:
Phendrana said:
I've only seen 3 bad reviews. Edge and some other place gave it a 60. EGM gave it something like a C+ average. Everything else was 80 or higher. I'm going to explode from anticipation if I can't find this at midnight.

IMO, i think 80+ is decent. Just that some ppl expect it to be like SMG

Definitely. I think 80+ is a good score for an important game like MK while 70+ is a nice range for everything else. 

Yea, I was commenting for the ones that gave it a 6/10 kind of deal, but a 8/10 would depend on where those 2 points went.

A game shouldn't lose points on difficulty unless its battle toads level diffculty and higher.

(ahh battle toads... it wasn't until I the internet that I realized that game was just hard and I wasn't the onlyone
that sucked.)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

kn said:
Shameless said:

Graphics - 7
Gameplay - 8
Sound - 7
Lasting appeal - 8

Overall 7.5

If snaking were still in the game and operated just as it did in previous iterations of the game, what would you score it as?

For me, that would boost the lasting appeal of the game. As it is now, I will probably stop playing the game after a few weeks because there is literally no challenge or skill requirement in multiplayer anymore, beyond getting lucky with power-ups.

I'd give it an 8-8.5 probably. 

Shameless said:
kn said:
Shameless said:

Graphics - 7
Gameplay - 8
Sound - 7
Lasting appeal - 8

Overall 7.5

For me, that would boost the lasting appeal of the game. As it is now, I will probably stop playing the game after a few weeks because there is literally no challenge or skill requirement in multiplayer anymore, beyond getting lucky with power-ups.

I'd give it an 8-8.5 probably.

no challenge even online?

^OOOOHHH *Chants* FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT...LOL.....I hate the low scores they are giving MKWii, based on the ads alone, this ganme gets a 10 lol..