By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami says Silent Hill is impossible on Wii

That's fine.  You have every right to your opinions about what you want to play and your opinions about who you think play those games.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
Lol, I never knew Konami was so deep in Sony's pockets. Yeah, after all, Resident Evil and Man hunt are obviously kiddy crap games, you tell em Konami, lol. Oh well, Silent Hill games were pretty mediocre anyway, 2 was the best but after that it just got silly. This isn't really a big loss on Nintendo's part and its no surprise, just find it funny Konami would be so shameless in their Sony fanfare. Its like PSM wrote the article for them.

Calling a company that they are in someon's pockets because they disagree with you = fanboy...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Gballzack, kber81 - you're both on thin ice, watch it. Dial down the insults.

ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:
Lol, I never knew Konami was so deep in Sony's pockets. Yeah, after all, Resident Evil and Man hunt are obviously kiddy crap games, you tell em Konami, lol. Oh well, Silent Hill games were pretty mediocre anyway, 2 was the best but after that it just got silly. This isn't really a big loss on Nintendo's part and its no surprise, just find it funny Konami would be so shameless in their Sony fanfare. Its like PSM wrote the article for them.

Calling a company that they are in someon's pockets because they disagree with you = fanboy...

Except their claims and statements are agreed upon by everyone in here as being fanboyish in themselves, this is more than just a difference of opinion. And as you will see reading through the rest of this thread, I'm not alone.

I can only imagine how awesome Silent Hill would be if developed for the Wii. That is if it was done well. Think about it, your walking through an abandoned apartment complex using the nunchuck as a flashlight, and all the sudden you start to hear your radios white noise coming out of the remotes speaker. Maybe the rumble replicates your heartbeat, and increases the closer or longer you are aggroed. You turn around and swing the remote and bash the zombie with your lead pipe.

Around the Network
windowview said:
I can only imagine how awesome Silent Hill would be if developed for the Wii. That is if it was done well. Think about it, your walking through an abandoned apartment complex using the nunchuck as a flashlight, and all the sudden you start to hear your radios white noise coming out of the remotes speaker. Maybe the rumble replicates your heartbeat, and increases the closer or longer you are aggroed. You turn around and swing the remote and bash the zombie with your lead pipe.

Didn't you read what the man said? Those kinds of controls would be "difficult to implement." Lazy bastards with zero imagination...

Seriously though, what you described is just the kind of stuff that's going to make awesome Wii games awesome once the developers get their act together. The standard approach seems to be to make regular last gen games, and then add some mandatory shaking and wiggling to get some use of the wiimote.

Controls actually designed for the Wii, rather than ported? (Remember waving the flashlight around while walking works a lot better with the wiimotes pointer than an analog stick.)

Actually immersive use for the speaker that doesn't suffer from low quality?

Count me in!

all these arguments about this or that are just detrimental to the whole process of playing games and fun. i'm sorry i don't care about how a game looks (unless it is grainy and utterly contemptable) but how it plays. so if you did replace ALL OF MGS characters with Mario, Pokemon or etc. and their graphic styles. and it played the same and was still immersive i'd play it. i also love the mario, zelda, metroid, infinity argument. how is that sooooo much different than ff (pick a number) with their "crystal" save the world from evil story line? or devil may cry in which your character (the bad@$$) has to save the world from impending evil? and on and on and on? you're either blatantly, purposedly blind if you're going to be one sided and say. well these games are the same, but then tout another game as being superior or better. the bottom line is ALL THEMES have been done, tried and true. whether it's you playing the hero, anti-hero, or villian its ALL a rehash of a tried and true concept.

I tend tothink of a mature game based on what you are fighting. In Mario (for example) you are fighting comical carachters who don't really do anythingapart from moving up and down, you never feel they want to kill you and pee on your body. Well at least we would hope so. A teen game the bad guys look like humans and they will shoot you and try to trick you. A mature based game, aka gears of war. You know the grunts will do anything they can to kill you. I also think the maturity level is how you kill them, mario is stomping, GRAW is shooting them. Gears of war is tearing them apart. I personally think that Teen games are the funnest because they can devlop deep charachters. Well I think i'm done that post

Andrew said:
I tend tothink of a mature game based on what you are fighting. In Mario (for example) you are fighting comical carachters who don't really do anythingapart from moving up and down, you never feel they want to kill you and pee on your body. Well at least we would hope so. A teen game the bad guys look like humans and they will shoot you and try to trick you. A mature based game, aka gears of war. You know the grunts will do anything they can to kill you. I also think the maturity level is how you kill them, mario is stomping, GRAW is shooting them. Gears of war is tearing them apart. I personally think that Teen games are the funnest because they can devlop deep charachters. Well I think i'm done that post

So you're basically defining mature as violent, or rather containing realistic violence? Not flaming you here, this is a vague term and yours seems to be a common definition.

Yeah... I define teenage games as over-the-top violence and adult games as just being challenging, complex and fun (as adults don't require massive amounts of unrealistic gore to enjoy a game). Most games with characters with personality I throw in as adult games too, as the average teenager doesn't care about storyline. Obviously no particularly violent games are targeted at kids (though I have 2 8 year old cousins who play GTA...), but neither are games like Mario. What they are targeted at is families. No one actually targets kids as a primary audience (other than a couple 3rd party games), despite popular belief of 360 and PS3 fanboys. Kids are in fact the smallest market in gaming. In fact, 80% of the Wii's marketing budget is to target ADULTS http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/nintendo-wii-marketing-to-exceed-200-million/