By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami says Silent Hill is impossible on Wii

davygee said:
naznatips said:

Well, actually, I think the immaturity argument has pretty much entirely disappeared from all but the sony and microsoft fanboys, who won't buy a Wii anyway. To every system gamers who actually take the time to check out the Wii and it's game library there isn't really even a debate. Nor is it a question to casual gamers. I know quite a few adults who have purchased Wiis for themselves. As far as Nintendo trying to deal with the image they actually are not targeting kids this generation as per popular opinion. 80% of their $200 million marketing budget for the Wii is spent towards targeting adults. Most Wii commercials have many more adults in them than kids. Some have only adults. They are not focusing on the so called "kiddy" audience as offensive fanboys would like everyone to believe. http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/nintendo-wii-marketing-to-exceed-200-million/

Adults may be playing the Wii and DS, but that doesn't deter from the fact that Nintendo games systems still ooze "kiddy console". Although IMHO, there is nothing wrong with that. It's just there will be a portion of the gaming public that will not go down this avenue purely because the Wii and DS has a badge and they don't like it!

You talk about the Wii's game library though....what exactly in the library means that there is no debate with regards to have a less "kiddy" and a more "adult" console?

Well first, what oozes kiddy console?  I mean as far as staple franchises I agree that games like Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon certainly are family friendly (kiddy, depending on your definition), despite often having deeper gameplay elements than most mature games.

As far as things in their  library suggesting otherwise, for me it's diversity.  Diversity of genre, and style of game.  As far as the adult CASUAL audience, games like Wii Sports and Brain Age appeal directly to the casual adult gamer who doesn't have much time to play games. 

Again, it's only a select few people who are unfortunately very vocal on the internet who really refer to the Wii as being a kiddy console.  The rest of the world doesn't agree with them.  If the Wii was truly only bought by the 12 and under audience, it's sales would be impossible.  The 12 and under demographic is the smalles demographic in gaming.  I'd say the Wii does hold a majority of this demographic, but if they didn't hold chunks of the college and adult demographics there would be no chance at all for them to have such record breaking sales.  I don't think they hold much of the high school audience at all, and I believe that it's this demographic that most M rated games and the PS3 and Xbox 360 target.

Around the Network

The UK's top 20 for all 3 consoles:

Wii
MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED
WII PLAY
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END
SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS
SPIDER-MAN 3
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS
WARIO WARE: SMOOTH MOVES
RED STEEL
COOKING MAMA
ELEDEES
MEDAL OF HONOR: VANGUARD
RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS
EXCITE TRUCK
HEATSEEKER
SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ
RAMPAGE: TOTAL DESTRUCTION
TMNT: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
SSX BLUR
NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON

PS3
SPIDER-MAN 3
MOTORSTORM
RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN
THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
CALL OF DUTY 3
FORMULA 1: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION
VIRTUA TENNIS 3
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 3
RIDGE RACER 7
F.E.A.R.
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07
VIRTUA FIGHTER 5
NBA 2K7
THE GODFATHER
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT
DEF JAM: ICON
UNTOLD LEGENDS: DARK KINGDOM

COMMAND & CONQUER 3: TIBERIUM WARS
SPIDER-MAN 3
CRACKDOWN
GEARS OF WAR
GUITAR HERO II
TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS
TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WARFIGHTER 2
VIRTUA TENNIS 3
FIFA 07
BRIAN LARA INTERNATIONAL CRICKET 2007
VIVA PIÑATA
TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED
WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2007
BULLET WITCH
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2006-2007
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07   
LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION

You can see the difference and diversity that you are talking about.  Also the style of games. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Yeah and they have all the staple game genres that the other 2 systems do (shooter, sports, racing), but they add to those some great platforming, action/adventure (granted Oblivion is sort of a mix between this and RPG), unique RPGs (like Super Paper Mario), and a whole new selection of casual games like Wario Ware, Rayman, Cooking Mama, etc. It's nice to see a game company branch out from the norm.

The thing is there are only 3 games in the Wii's top 20 that I would want to play:

MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS
ELEDEES

Whereas with the PS3, I would be interested in:

MOTORSTORM
RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN
F.E.A.R.
VIRTUA FIGHTER 5

And with the 360:

CRACKDOWN
GEARS OF WAR
TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS
TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WARFIGHTER 2
VIVA PIÑATA
LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION

I suppose, this says alot for my gaming types. 

Well yeah, everyone has their own personal interests. For me the Wii games I really like/am interested in it's: Wii Sports Zelda Super Paper Mario Mario Strikers. Rayman Raving Rabbids Future games I want are Super Smash Bros. Brawl No More Heroes Metroid Prime 3 Super Mario Galaxy Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers Battalion Wars 2 Pokemon Battle Revolution (when it's cheap) Disaster: Day of Crisis Resident Evil 4 (someone borrowed my GC version and never gave it back, so I'm getting the Wii one) Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles Manhunt 2 Fire Emblem NiGHTS: Journey Into Dreams Project H.A.M.M.E.R. Rygar So yeah, for my personal tastes in gaming I think I picked the right system lol

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy looks brill.  Although there really isn't anything else that takes my fancy.

Yeah. I understand that the Wii isn't for everyone's tastes. Obviously you should just play what you enjoy. :)

davygee said:

I suppose, this says alot for my gaming types. 

Then maybe you're the one who's not diverse.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:

Then maybe you're the one who's not diverse.

I am a diverse gamer, thats why I got a PSP.

If your going to play Oblivion I would get it on the PC rather than a console if you have a decent computer. You can access the game console and install mods, some of which are very cool. On the console all you can do is buy expansions. (This is referring to davygee's Xbox List)