By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami says Silent Hill is impossible on Wii

Kber81, you had me until your last comment. You're talking about YOUR OWN taste and definition of what a "mature" game is. Hell, in a lot of ways, Mario Galaxy is a "mature" game. What you're speaking about about is art style. You don't like cute stuff? That's fine. There are plenty of people who do, though. -Darkness

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

So you want games like The Legend of Zelda and Red Steel then?

Zelda? Yes, it's one of few games I'd like to play from Wii offer despite a design.

kber81 said:
naznatips said:

The mistake you are making is assuming that mature gamers play M rated games. That's not the case. Many more high school students will play a Grand Theft Auto before a 35 year old man with a wife and job will. Most mature gamers play quality fun games, and don't care if a game has an M rating or not.

Wrong. I don't know why you assume violant game means a mature content for me. Mature content is a complexity, it's a broad storyline etc.. I don't care about label. I just hate the fact most of Wii stuff is freaking super-deformed and full of kiddy design.

Ah now the debate is getting interesting.  You and I share the same definition of maturity, so now we are just down to haggling on who has more of said games!  First though, explain what "super-deformed" games you are talking about and what make a game "kiddy-designed."  Because if you consider mature games a deep, challenging experience then there is a lot more challenge in most Mario games than in either God of War title.  The storylines in God of War were unbelievably simplistic as well.  So what games ARE you considering a complex game with a broad storyline?  Metroid Prime is practically DEFINED by that description.  If you are looking for a true adult game challenging the mind and skills of the player I highly recomend you try both Metroid Prime games.  Well what about Kiddy design, is Super Smash Bros. Brawl full of super-deformed kiddy design?  If you think so then I don't know what screenshots you have been looking at.  All the ones I have seen show a gorgeous, complex, and challenging fighter.  So show me these "adult games" that you seem to think exist on all systems but the Wii.

Mario? Aren't you a bit tired with Mario... No matter how complex "Mario something" is I will never find it attractive because of... Mario. How can you talk about really good storyline when it's about Mario? Someone hijacks princess and Mario has to do something with it... Mario? Mario is a plumber ! ! Brawl? Exciting duel against Pokemon?... I will rather stay with "childish" God of War.

kber81 said:
Mario? Aren't you a bit tired with Mario... No matter how complex "Mario something" is I will never find it attractive because of... Mario. How can you talk about really good storyline when it's about Mario? Someone hijacks princess and Mario has to do something with it... Mario? Mario is a plumber ! ! Brawl? Exciting duel against Pokemon?... I will rather stay with "childish" God of War.

And there it is.  In the end, all you are really concerned about is image.  I never said Mario had a complex and deep storyline but it's certainly more challenging than many other games are.  The fact is that you have a shallow perception of games.   That's fine, if you enjoy mindless beat-em-ups and hack and slash games with wanton destruction and over-exaggerated gore then by all means keep playing them.  But don't act superior to other gamers or pretend you are more mature than them because they don't want to play them.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

And there it is. In the end, all you are really concerned about is image. I never said Mario had a complex and deep storyline but it's certainly more challenging than many other games are. The fact is that you have a shallow perception of games. That's fine, if you enjoy mindless beat-em-ups and hack and slash games with wanton destruction and over-exaggerated gore then by all means keep playing them. But don't act superior to other gamers or pretend you are more mature than them because they don't want to play them.

Sure I'm concerned about image. How can I play serious games (like MGS, FF etc.) with totally childish design. It destroys all fun. Don't tell me I'm wrong. All this Wii image is childish. Take a look on Mii or anything. It's like candyshop.

kber81 said:
naznatips said:

And there it is. In the end, all you are really concerned about is image. I never said Mario had a complex and deep storyline but it's certainly more challenging than many other games are. The fact is that you have a shallow perception of games. That's fine, if you enjoy mindless beat-em-ups and hack and slash games with wanton destruction and over-exaggerated gore then by all means keep playing them. But don't act superior to other gamers or pretend you are more mature than them because they don't want to play them.

Sure I'm concerned about image. How can I play serious games (like MGS, FF etc.) with totally childish design. It destroys all fun. Don't tell me I'm wrong. All this Wii image is childish. Take a look on Mii or anything. It's like candyshop.

No it's childish in your mind because all you care about is one specific aesthetic style of the game. It causes you to miss some of the greatest achievements in gaming. Many games don't have a dark and heavy style but that doesn't make them kiddy or imature. Many games have suny and bright styles (Wind Waker for example) and that certainly doesn't make them kid games. Many of the best games ever made don't have that serious style that you are looking for and lean on so much. Beyond Good & Evil, Okami, Wind Waker, Pokemon, Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest... the list goes on forever. Again, play games how you want, but don't pretend it makes you more mature than anyone else on this website to play God of War instead of Mario.

It pleases me to see people standing up to the immature mentality that M Games = Mature Gamers

Manhunt 2 is a niche game. It may sell as little as 75K on Wii, or as much as 250K. The original was not a hit on PS2, and this time there are multiple versions spliting up that small audience. No More Heroes is also a niche game, which wouldn't have much of a shot at selling 1 million copies on any system. Project HAMMER involves a robot with a giant motion-controlled hammer. I guess that's a "mature" game. Uh... I really don't know what to think of Disaster: Day of Crisis, but it may well be a Teen-rated game. RE:UC is an on-rails spinoff, and RE4 is the 4th version of a several-year-old game. Red Steel will sell over 1 million copies, but it is rated "teen." Basically, none of these test if Wii can take "mature" games. If a major "mature" game like RE5, MGS4, GTA4 or Halo3 came to the system, I'm pretty sure it would sell pretty well. Developers are cautious about bringing those games, however.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

@ naznatips

Let's go back to the very beginning of this discussion. I do believe Sony and MS provides more for mature audiency. I can provide few titles for child in PS3 or X360 linup but it doesn't make this system more children friendly than Wii. Regards Wii. Yes there is RE, Zelda and few more titles but in general I do believe it's all about  Mario and Pokemon stuff. If you ask me about few titles for children from Sony or M$ camp I have to think about it.Yes, I expect realistic graphics, good storyline and climate.  I don't pretend to be mr. mature. Wii stuff just don't attract me.