By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Stop Korea from legalizing dog meat consumption

Not all animals are alike. Not all animals should be livestock. Dogs and Cats are among those that are not like normal livestock.

With that out of the way. That dog farming legislation does not have an effect outside their country. So if they want to do it, they can go ahead. Provided they are keeping care of them inline with other livestock standards. Even though its wrong, its their right.

How would some of you feel if you had hindus or eco-fascists demanding you stop eating cows?
I know that i get annoyed when others demand my country stop the seal hunt.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

I don't give a damn about they eating dogs.

Looks like people don't realize they eat pigs and chickens and cows and they are all the freaking same.

If we should stop eating dogs we should stop eating any living being, and this would be the downfall of humanity because being a vegetarian must be horrible :P

And i still pretend to taste one...

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

we won't be able to stop it - it's like their customs
kinda like how we kill cows to eat them too

I have no problem with anyone eating dogs. Dogs are no different than pigs, chickens or cows. Just because many people keep dogs as pets doesn't mean others can't use them for food.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

So you guys know cows are considered sacred in India right? But no they're not cute, no. Being cute totally outweighs being a significant religious symbol.

Oh but dogs and cats are too smart to be eaten. No problem, lets just eat pigs instead, the animal with more intelligence than both a dog or a cat.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
it's the way dogs are farmed for their meat that's wrong.

Fine I think all of us agree with you on this. Why does your thread say

" Stop Korea from legalizing dog meat consumption"

then and not for example

"Stop Korea from treating dogs cruelly"

I am pretty sure that legalizing dog meat consumption and having stricter controls would be better in this regard.

Pretty much what i was going to say.

Being in China has taught me that westerners have a pretty narrow and arbitrary definition of what meat is.  Improve the conditions the dogs are kept in by all means, but who are we to tell them what they should and shouldn't eat. 

Furthermore, Korea doesn't exactly have much land in which to raise pastoral animals, i'm pretty sure you can farm alot more dogs in the space it would take to raise a single cow, sheep etc.

The thing is that dogs as animals are not really suited to being farmed in the way that cows or sheep are. I have no real moral objection to people eating dogs and im not any kind of authority on Korean culture but arent dogs pack hunters descended from wolves? Cows are passive herd animals, happy to sit still and be fed so they can be raised in a fairly efficient way without totally destroying any quality of life they may have had.
The same sort of animal rights legislation could not simply be directly applied to dog farming because dogs have to be caged and treated pretty brutally to keep them from hurting each other or the farm workers. So Id say I totally object to dog farming without being worried by dog eating.

Random Person B said:

So you guys know cows are considered sacred in India right? But no they're not cute, no. Being cute totally outweighs being a significant religious symbol.

Oh but dogs and cats are too smart to be eaten. No problem, lets just eat pigs instead, the animal with more intelligence than both a dog or a cat.

Don't just post a comment like that without reading the posts that have been made.

You think that you are smart posting a comment like that assuming the way the conversation has gone. At no point has cuteness been an issue, no one has mentioned it. It's the way dogs are farmed for their meat that is the problem because it is so conterversial.

Maybe hunting "fozzy wabbits" should be illegal too then?
I don't get this, there are certainly worse and more pointless animal exploitations in the world, like Fox and Ferret farms in Europe solely to make fur from.
At least these animals contribute with sustenance for the world in the process rather than just luxury commodities.
If someone like to eat dogs, then I say let them, just like we eat Moose, Pig, Cow, Grouse, Duck and other animals.
The fact that the animal is domesticated in many places in the world should not affect whether it can be eaten, snakes are exotic pets here but they are eaten in large areas of the world.

^ Don't get me started on fur farming, boo hiss to them.

I have nothing against them eating dogs, it is the way dogs are farmed I have the problem with. If dog meat is legalised then more than drastic changes need to be made and need to be made immediatley.

I agree with what Megadave said, they are a notoriously hard animal to farm. They need to be caged and beaten to keep them under control, then they are beaten to make the meat tender (for some reason this can't be done after death). However if they can work around those methods to give the dogs a better quality of life (at leats equal to that of sheep) then I'll be all for it.