By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales - how low will they go before picking up?

Despite that the Gamecube sold the least, Nintendo was making a profit on the Gamecube from the get go. Because Nintendo uses technology familiar to everyone and such, and it cost them less to develop a system. The Gamecube may have sold the least, but Nintendo had the most to show from it. In other words, the Gamecube was not a flop. It didn't do as well as the XBOX and PS2, but it was certainly not a flop. The problem, however, was that its third party support was weak. The PS3 suffers from other instances. Blu-Ray is too new, therefore developers are spending more money to develop these games because they don't know nearly enough about it. And on top of that it means developers need to sell more games than usual. This is why PS3 lost DMC4. There aren't enough PS3's out there for the game to sell as well as they want it to. So they went multiplatform. It was entirely a business move. The biggest setback of the PS3 seems to be the price, though. No matter who you ask, the most common excuse seems to be, "I'd buy a PS3 but I don't have six hundred dollars." And to be honest, I don't care if it plays DVDs, Blu-Ray, CDs and all that fun stuff. I'm not paying six hundred dollars when I'm wanting to play games. This seems to be Sony's biggest mistake. They're trying to market the PS3 not as a gaming system, but as an entertainment center. They boast about what it can do, but they don't boast about the games or anything. In the end, the gamers will decide to buy a system based on the selection of games, not the bells and whistles. And since I have no intention of ever using the Blu-Ray player (to this day I've never played a DVD in my PS2... or a music CD for that matter), I can safely say it'd be souly for the games. Unfortunately there's nothing of interest on the system for me now (I'm not a big FPS fan so Resistance is not up my alley). We'll see how 2008 goes, but I don't think there's a chance of a price drop before the holiday. But I think the price cut would be the biggest asset in boosting sales.

As much as I like VGChartz, I must be honest. I'm not too interested in the community. Most (I'd say a good 70% of the people here) are too caught up in the fanboyism and politics of gaming, and are mostly just people waiting to ravenously insult another user on the forums. I tried participating in the forums but rather than discuss it seems most of you would rather tear other people down. Why is it necessary to insult everyone who thinks differently than you? Also, not everything here is a fanboy conspiracy. I see the word fanboy here than I do on most forums out there. I'm sorry, I don't want to be a part of a community that's so negative towards everyone all the time. I'd rather go to a place where the people of a forum are more willing to discuss and step away from personal attacks any time someone disagrees with them. I just can't take it anymore.

So I ask, respectfully, that you don't add me. I'll more than likely respond to respectful messages but don't count on me being on the forums too much and don't count on me accepting your friend request.

Around the Network

wrong thread?

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

That all depends "if" they pick up.

In Japan the very low is around 8k... so I would say we witness bottom right now. I believe with FolkSoul and Ninja Gaidan Sigma sale bounce back on the 15k-20k units a week level. With Everybody's Golf 5 I expect further increase in sale.

IMHO, we are currently experiencing the very low of the PS3 sales and it will start growing soon. As I've said in a few posts before, developers have already started quite alot of games and these will only start appearing later this year and some are well into next year. The PS3 needs to gather a good number of sales until the end of this year and if it doesn't have a good user base by the middle of 2008, then Sony will have to start seriously worrying. There also needs to be a price drop this year....I reckon at least $100...but closer to $150. In all seriousness. The PS3 needs to be £299 in the UK by Christmas.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well.  I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

I think that in Europe it will pick up this week.

specially in the U.K after the successful gamers day.

Didn't Sony decrease PS3 production already?

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16288

This will have consequences on price reductions... 

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

yuda398 said:
TheSource said:

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well. I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

Any reason why you think it will pick up this week? Gamer's day was over a week ago already: if there was any pickup, it would be visible by now. Unless you think people saved all their excitement for two weeks after the event. Are there any games coming out this week? Or do you have some other reason to expect boosts in sales? 

Personally, I think we're looking at another month or so of steadily declining sales, until significant releases arrive again. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
yuda398 said:
TheSource said:

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well. I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

Any reason why you think it will pick up this week? Gamer's day was over a week ago already: if there was any pickup, it would be visible by now. Unless you think people saved all their excitement for two weeks after the event. Are there any games coming out this week? Or do you have some other reason to expect boosts in sales?

Personally, I think we're looking at another month or so of steadily declining sales, until significant releases arrive again.

It's just another instance of the "now, the PS3 sales surge/increase/craze starts now!"... I don't even comment on those anymore, it's just a waste of time.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

It's just another instance of the "now, the PS3 sales surge/increase/craze starts now!"... I don't even comment on those anymore, it's just a waste of time.

Nah. Four or five same threads about PS3 death a week - this is a real wast of time.

I'm quoted so...

Edit: 

If it's death why bother? Just leave it. Wait for resurrection.