By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 20 Exclusives for the 360 this year - Read on (and see why you need a 360)

VGChartz's community is pretty vast and diverse. However, the majority of people are Wii fans, which there's obviously nothing wrong with, as well as tons of PS3 fans. However, for the most part, the 360 has only a handful of maybe 3-4 actual fans, and one or two would be Xbots, or near it (hopefully Im not).

However, as a 360 owner, I must say to the Wii and PS3 owners: You are certainly missing out on the best system ever created. This year has already been, and will be, the greatest year for video games on just 1 platform. I've never been excited about buying so many games - much to my wallet's and girlfriend's dissapointment.

I would like to submit to you 20 reasons why you should own a 360:

#1. Crackdown.

Projected Sales (IMO): 1,825,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/773/773714.html    GameRankings Score: 83.5% Release Date: 2/26/2007

In a sea of GTA-clones, and no real next-gen sandbox games, sans Saints Row, Crackdown is truely one of a kind. After playing and beating this game, I must say, GTAIV has alot to live upto in terms of gameplay. The story is weak, and the game is rather quick to beat, but for the 20 hours the game lasts, it's perfect.

Why buy/rent this game? Vertical Shooting. This game is one of the first to open up the skies for actual combat. Your character, once upgraded, can scale 40-story buildings in a matter of seconds, allowing for very unique angles of combat. Your basically superman with a gun, and can easily engage 20 enemies at once. This game lacks story, but has so much gameplay substance. If that wasn't enough, the fact is that it has 2 Player co-operative play for the entire game. Just get on XBLA, and go through the game. Co-Op is one of the most amazing things of the next-generation, and Crackdown shows why it's so great. And finally, Realtime Worlds has given the Xbox community the best free and pay-for content ever. A full list is at 

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=112057 

Hopefully more developers realize we need this kind of content. Again, what are the chances other systems are getting THIS kind of free and pay-for content?

#2. Earth Defense Force 2017.

Projected Sales (IMO): 75,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/761/761552.html   GameRankings Score: 70.5 Release Date: 3/15/2007

Obviously panned by critics, I wanted to play this game, as I heard so many good things about this true-blue budget title made by a no name company. This game represents why games like Contra were so popular. Lots of baddies, 150 different weapons, and just lots of pure fun. It's a third person shooter, and although marred by slow running speed of your character, is easily made up with the pure insanity of fighting litterally hundreds of giant monsters, using the most deadly weapons ever made in a video game. 20-shot rocket launchter? Check. Thousand round minigun? Check. 100-foot robots with plasma rifles? Check.

Why buy/rent this game? 2 Player Co-Op. This again turns a VERY mediocre game into one of the best games ever made (for the same reasons Gears of War is so good, as well). Unlike other games, this is 2-p only offline, a throwback to Contra, Battletoads, and other good 'ol games. This game is near impossible to beat on 1player, but somewhat managable with 2. It's so easy to play 2 hours straight with a friend, laughing and shooting the entire way through.

#3. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/846/846656.html   Gamerankings Score: 90.1% Release Date: 3/21/2007

Castlevania was a franchise I grew up on with the NES/SNES. Unfortunately, during the PS years, I was unable to pick up what was arguably the best 2d Castlevania made. Huge Super Metroid-like levels, tons of secrets, items, and everything needed for a great Konami Castlevania. This game was dubbed as one of the best platformers ever created.

Why buy/rent this game? It's hardcore Castlevania at its finest, and the higest-reviewed XBLA game, even topping Geometry Wars. Add in some new content, new secrets, and all kinds of awesome things for a sub-$10 game. Certainly not perfect compared to full-price games, but unlike Virtual Console games, this has some sweet upgrades to the game itself, which is always worth the price.

#4. Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/874/874117.html   GameRankings Score: 88.5% Release Date: 3/26/2007

Oblivion was the reason I bought a 360, having loved Morrowind. Oblivion is by far, one of the greatest RPGs ever created. It's one of the longest, most awesome games ever made, with a 100+ hour main quest with side missions. Now, what makes Shivering isles so good? The sheer size of the expansion, along with the insane amounts of added pack-in items, weapons, and such.

Why buy/rent this game? If you've never played Oblivion, please go buy it. It was litterally the only game I played for 100+hrs before I beat it. The total time invested into my copy is past 1,000hrs of actual gameplay. No game is the same, and with Shivering Isles, you get new places to visit on the best game ever created. All for a typical price of an expansion (under $30 USD), makes it a great thing to buy.

#5. Settlers of Catan

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/850/850004.html  Gamerankings Score: 82.1%  Release Date: 5/1/2007

Although an obscure game, as it being a German TCG, this is such a sweet little gem of a sub-$10 game. It's a resource war TCG, that emphasizes turn based strategy. The maps are randomly generated (as far as I know), and supports 4p online. Not for everyone, but if your a turn based strategy guy like me, something fresh for XBLA is always welcome.

Why buy/rent this game? Turn based wonder. At such a paltry price, and a total lack of card games on consoles, this is a must-buy for any fan of the game. Or if you like me, and just think the premise is sweet. Uno and Texas Hold'em were very strong games, and Catan looks to "trump" both of them.

#6 Command & Conquer 3.

Projected Sales (IMO): 525,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/866/866225.html GameRankings Score: 82.0% Release Date: 5/7/2007

I grew up on RTS staples such as C&C RA, WarCraft 2, and others. Unfortunately, console gamers haven't got the chance to play strong RTSes, as most companies never really tried to make the controls work for consoles. Despite this, the fact is, there have been quite a few RTSes to do well on consoles (Kingdom Under Fire for Xbox, Herzog Zwei for Genesis). C&C 3 continues in the new-wave of great console RTSes. Yes, its EA, but EA is doing dang good. The non-Red Alert series isn't as great, story wise, but is still phenominal.

Why buy/rent this game?. Like Battle For Middle Earth 2, this is a game that although is better with a mouse, is HUGE in the fact that we now get RTSes on consoles after a 10-year hiatus. The controls are pretty good, and the gameplay is very strong. 4p Online is sweet too. I used to play Westwood servers on C&C: TS in the late 90s, and this is just too fun. Also, the fact we get Billy Dee Williams as the GDI General is just freakin' sweet. Certainly has that "woah" to it with the huge battles the series has always had. Nothing like Mammoth Tanks in the morning.

#7 Forza 2.

Projected Sales (IMO): 2,150,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/743/743956.html GameRankings Score: 93.0% Release Date: 5/29/2007

Forza 1 was, like many Xbox games, marginalized in a sea of FPSes, and Gran Turismo 4. Despite this, Forza was known as the better of the 2, as it actually incorporated more realilism into sim-racing by adding realistic car damage, better physics, and a far better managment system for upgrading/customizing your cars. Forza 2 is everything but better. More cars, more upgrade options, better online play. Certainly any sim-racing fan NEEDS this game in their library. Gran Turismo 3 was one of the best games I had ever played upto Forza 1, but I was never able to go back to the GT series. Go get a copy of this game and find out why.

Why buy/rent this game? If you like sim-racing, arcade racing, or just drive a real-life car, you need this game. It's expansive, hard, huge, and for me, the biggest reason is the 300+ cars that are the funnest to upgrade. It takes the best parts of Need for Speed, Test Drive, Gran Turismo, Midnight Club and every other major racing series, and puts it in one game. There's noting like driving at 200mph, and feeling like your actually there. Also, theres nothing like using a VW Beetle that has an S Ranking.

#8 OverLord.

Projected Sales (IMO): 345,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/825/825967.html Not Released Yet,   Release Date: 6/24/2007

Overlord is one of the many obscure 360 titles that the public will most likely miss. However, it looks to be a fantastic hybrid 3rd person fantasy game + real time strategy game in the vein of Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Keeper, as it has that whole command & control aspect, while your being assaulted as the main character vibe.

Why buy/rent this game? Dungeon Siege. It was a fantastic game that looks to be similar in style to this game. Obviously, every console needs good RTS games, and the 360 is actually getting them, with it's PC roots. Obviously, very few games allow you to control the baddies, and like Dungeon Keeper, it should be a ton of fun.

#9 Two Worlds.

Projected Sales (IMO): 450,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/815/815215.html Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 6/26/2007

Called the "possible Oblivion Killer" over at NeoGAF, this game looks more like a mix between the wonderful Oblivion, and Fable. The game sports some weak animations, but offers a world 3 times larger than Oblivion, and stronger 3rd person gameplay, unlike Oblivion. Ironically, it's not an American game, it's German, so for those PC-Centric Europeans, it should be insane.

Why buy/rent this game? The game looks like a true fantasitc sleeper title, offering alot of fun battles ala-Oblivion, no level scaling, and the thing most heralded: 8 player online co-operative play either against eachother, or through the world. I believe the title has recieved VERY positive reviews in Germany for the PC version, so it should be very good. 150+ hr playtime for SP as well.

#10 Bioshock.

Projected Sales (IMO): 1,150,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793105.html Not Released,  Yet Release Date: 8/21/2007

Although a probable sales failure, this game seems to be one of the many 360 titles that were sleeper hits (ala Dead Rising, Condemned), that really pushed the evenlope of what Next-Gen might mean. The game has a similar, wicked vibe like Condemned, and if that's any indication of what this game is, you might just poop your pants if you own Dolby Surround Sound.

Why buy/rent this game? Sheer horror. Judging by the videos, the game seems to be non-stop creepyness. Condemned was the first title I got for the 360, and let me say: it was fantastic. Next-gen horror is about lighting elements, advanced AI, and good storytelling. Bioshock seems to have all that, and add in alot of other fantastic elements. I really hate first person shooters, but this game has gone, over time, from the "might rent" to the "buy or play on day 1" since it's just so creepy!

#11 Blue Dragon.

Projected Sales (IMO): 1,350,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/728/728023.html Gamerankings Score: 88.8% Release Date: 8/28/2007

The first proclaimed "true" next-gen JRPG that sold insanely well in Japan, atleast for the # of systems for the 360 there. At first, I was not going to touch this game, but between the storyline, the Japanese audio + English Text, and the fact it looks like what a JRPG should be, has garnered preorder status for me. FYI, I've only preordered 3 games in the past 15-odd years. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and Oblivion. This game is perfect.

Why buy/rent this game? Sakaugchi. The man behind the best SquareSoft titles (when SNES was king and Sony was a TV maker), looks to be back making phenominal titles. The game already has strong US reviews, and even better Japanese ones. Although traditional and anti-ARPG, it looks to of incorporated enough great new elements to be one of the most interesting RPGs on a Microsoft system ever.

#12 Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Projected Sales (IMO): 350,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/804/804099.html   Not Released Yet,  Release Date: TBA 2007

Quite possibly the most underrated, perfect Xbox title you've never heard of. Kingdom Under Fire is a Korean-made ARPG/RTS/SRPG that featured Korean voiceovers, heavy metal music, and alot of killing. There is no perfect way to explain this game. It is what Dynasty Warriors cannot obtain. It's the perfect RTS game made for consoles, next to Herzog Zwei. The only bad part about any other RTSes for the 360 is that it has to be compared to this game.

Why buy/rent this game?. Think Lord of the Rings + Final Fantasy + Chess. The previous games were a perfect balance between action, RPG and everything in between with a great storyline. Developers promised KUF would have more RPG elements, so it will certainly be a treat. The best part? Every KUF game has been $40.00 at launch. Yes, it's a budget title, and worth far more.

#13 Mass Effect

Projected Sales (IMO): 2,750,000

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/718/718963.html  Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 9/3/2007

The second Western Uber-RPG to come to the 360. Although it's been pushed back for probably 6 months, this game like it's worth the wait. KOTOR was a phenominal game for the Xbox, and Mass Effect looks similar to it without the campy Star Wars-themed ideas. The game has a far more serious tone, and it looks like BioWare is really putting a strong emphasis on dialogue and how it intertwines with the story, as well as the alignment choices it brings.

Why buy/rent this game? This could quite possibly be the best Western RPG in a long time, next to, or equal to Oblivion. Although action-oriented, it seems to boast one of the more dynamic, intuitive parts of the RPG genre, with sweet character creation and everything else Bioware has. Go play KOTOR and Jade Empire. Mass Effect looks like it's going to be one of those games that although is 40 hours, will re-define what RPG gaming is like in the West.

#14 Eternal Sonata

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/761/761569.html  Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 9/11/2007

Projected Sales (IMO): 975,000 Copies LTD

Namco's formal entry into the world of Xbox RPGs. This title isn't a budget title either. It might end up as good, or better than Blue Dragon. Those lucky enough to play the demo have been saying ultra-positive things about this game. The graphics are beautiful, and easily the finest cell-shading ever made in a game, along with a mix of Namco's greatest RPG franchise's battle systems, the game just looks plain amazing.

Why buy/rent this game? Although the middle child of a huge year-end 3-title JRPG wave to the 360, the battle system, graphics, and offbeat storyline make this game killer. Every video of this game has been amazing, as it's combining the greatest aspects of Grandia, Tales of, and other major RPGs into one game, should make a fan of any of those game's want to buy this perfect JRPG.

#15 Halo 3

Projected Sales (IMO): 12,750,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/734/734817.html  Not Released Yet, Release Date: 9/25/2007

I'm not a huge fan of this series, but 8 million people, and millions of hours played online disagrees with me. Halo (I guess to me) is next-gen Goldeneye, the epitomy of console FPS gaming. I haven't been a huge fan, but Halo 3 is making me wonder if I'll rent it.

Why buy/rent this game? Sales of Halo didn't come for some stupid reason. It's because it has one of the best multiplayer modes in the arena of gaming (for a console, that is). However, rumors are floating around that in Halo 3, we'll see the appearance of being able to play the WHOLE CAMPAIGN with 4 players online or maybe even splitscreen. That my friends, is where it's at. If this proves true, I might become a statistic for Halo's sake.

#16 Culdicept Saga.

Projected Sales (IMO): 350,000 Copies LTD 

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/821/821704.html   Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 10/30/2007

Culdicept Saga is a PS2 game turned 360 game.  Released last year in Japan to decent sales (50k or so), it looks like a fantastic card-based, isometric tactical RPG for the 360. I'm a huge fan of card games such as Catan, Triple Threat from FFVIII, and such, and this game is an actual entire game based on it.

Why buy/rent this game? With cute and mean collectable characters ala Pokemon, and the strategy of isomectric RPGs, SRPG fans such as myself are going to find a treasure trove in this game. It supports online play upto 4 players, and seems to have, from what I've heard, one of the longest, hardest single player games for an RPG in many years (200+hrs), it looks to be a niche game, but certainly fun.

#17 Left 4 Dead

Projected Sales (IMO): 820,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/875/875936.html   Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 11/13/2007

Although it's "yet another shooter" like so many on the supposed "shooter box", the fact is the shooters are being more refined and better. Then comes a game that sets out to finally finish why FPSes and TPSes are so good. It's made by the same team that made CS:Source. The whole premise of the game is to focus entirely on multiplayer co-op combat against hordes of Zombies. It looks and sounds sweet.

Why buy/rent this game? Resident Evil + 28 Days Later. This game looks to re-define the shooter genre, like Army of Two is. Since the game is entirely focused on multi-player strike teams vs. AI zombies, althoug simple of a premise, should prove very fun. Online or Offline, it could be a great hold-over between RE4 and RE5. I've been waiting for FPSes to ditch the Single Player and weak Multi-Player junk, and get to the fun stuff like trying to outwit enemies in hordes like EDF2107, this game seems to build on that and multiply it.

#18 Lost Odyssey

Projected Sales (IMO): 2,025,000 Copies LTD

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/731/731773.html   Not Released Yet,  Release Date: 12/31/2007

Game #2 of the new Mistwaker studios. Everyone was blown away by Blue Dragon, but that was just the appetizer before the main course. Promoted by Sakaguchi as one of his finest works since his beginning in Final Fantasy 1, this game will certainly be a contender in the annals of RPG history. Killable NPCs, a storyline written by a Japaneese Fantasy Novelist, and a very strong known development team made of S-E employees makes this game just look phenominal.

Why buy/rent this game? This game could possibly trump Final Fantasy XIII, in enjoyment/reviews, not sales. The buzz is that this game is just as good as it's hyped, and it's receving alot of hype from such pathetic sales of the 360 in Europe. One of the top games listed by J-gamers in Famitsu even beginning at the start of this year, should prove to be excellent. With the downloadable content Blue Dragon is going to get, anyone that likes RPGs will appreciate downloadable dungeons for free, and new game+ content.

Finally, we have 2 games that have no release date, but are still going to be December, or November release dates: Banjo Threeie Project Gotham Racing 4 Both games are going to be huge. I hope that Banjo Threeie can live upto the level that the first 2 N64 games were.

I do think that Rare can do it. Kameo and Viva Pinata were both phenominal games, and all signs point to another strong showing. PGR 4 looks good as well - Obviously a graphical powerhouse. I'm not a style-racing fan, but PGR3 was awesome, and I have high hopes they institute a few things from Forza 2 into the game.

Of course, lets run down the types of games, and notice that they all aren't shooters:

7 RPGS (4 JRPG, 3 WRPG) - Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Shivering Isles, Two Worlds, Culdicept Saga

5 Shooters (3 FPS, 1 TPS) - Bioshock, Halo 3, Left 4 Dead, EDF 2017

3 RTS - C & C , OverLord, Kingdom Under Fire

2 Racing - Forza 2, PGR 4

1 Sandbox Shooter - Crackdown

1 Card Game - Settlers of Catan

2 Platformers - Castlevania: SOTN, Banjo Threeie

I hope that with the few hours of work I did on this, that you enjoy. Remember, this doesn't include the 50 million multi-ports, or some of the titles I really didn't think of, or want to put on the list such as DiRt, or Lost Planet.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Good list. Right now the 360 is about on the same level as the PSP with me - solid software lineup, but I'm not crazy about the price or the hardware quality. I'll definitely be getting one some day once I get an HDTV, they drop the price, and switch to the 65nm process thing.

Seems like a good list, I will definately buy a couple of those games for my brothers birthdays/xmas/eid gifts so as to 'borrow' their 360. Unfortunately I will only put my eggs in one basket, though. Only the Wii for me.

The three I'm pretty interested in are Banjo Threeie, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.  Not a big fan of western RPGs though.  If 360 was getting Metal Gear Solid 4 this year, I'd certaintly buy one today - especially since I'm looking forward to Devil May Cry 4.

Is there any word on a sequel to Jet Set Radio Future? That is one of my favorite games of all time...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Realy good post am a true xbox 360 fan man not fan boy .... you forgot about Too Human crazy game nad halo wars and many more xbox 360 is the best console .

Around the Network

65nm + price drop = Elite sale for me. Phenomenal list of games, and that's just for 2007. This is the biggest holiday in gaming history so far for all systems.

Other than Lost Oddysey,Mass Effect and Forza 2 most of those games will be available for the PC or other consoles ...plus putting the old Castlevania Symphoy of the Night of the Ps1 in that isnt very impressive . Still ,games like Lost Oddysey ,Forza 2 and Mass Effect ,plus Halo 3 ,can be a good incentive to acquire the console .I would buy it ,but more because of other games ....if Too Human ,Elveon ,Theseis are great games I might think about getting one as I am interested in those and in Lost Oddysey all the same .Still ,I have some concerns paying for the online so I would keep my PS3 the online console ....and I wont buy a X360 until MS fixes the reliability issues that are pretty appalling .

Too Human is most likely going to be postponed, therefore I didn't add it to the list. Halo Wars is 2008 certainly. The 360 already has a few major titles in 2008 such as Halo Wars, Too Human, and my favorite, Alan Wake.

Diomedes, I was reffering to console exclusives, not just outright exclusives, as 1/2 of them, if not more are PC as well. TheSource - I know you want Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey - have you checked out a gameplay video for Eternal Sonata yet?

Well, I would be interested in the 360, if it did not have the ring of death. If, in fact, the Elite has done away with this, then I would be ready to invest in the hardware. Or, maybe I am just using that as an excuse. However, I am not so sure I would want to invest $400+ on hardware that is not reliable. The games that interest me are: Crackdown Settlers of Catan Castlevania: SOTN Banjo Threeie and maybe Mass Effect.