By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox controller alternative? The Series X controller is terrible.

I've ordered the gamesir t7. I don't want to spend over $70 on a controller just to play shattered space dlc and fable. 

Around the Network

Your opinion really. The way a controller feels in someone hands will depend on many factors such as one hand's physiognomy for example. Then, yes the way we each like the feel, heft and clickity of the buttons will also depend on one's taste in the matter.

After all's said though, I do not like the Xbox controllers post-360 era. The triggers became worst , with only slightly better shoulder buttons to compensate. They personally don't sit well in my hands either, much too bulky in fact. Most likely because my fingers are on the thinner side.

Anywoo, aside from the less than ideal d-pad, the Switch Pro Controller is just the better average package of the lot(with a fantastic battery life to boot)

I'm excluding the Elite controllers from this debate though, I haven't touched those.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

KratosLives said:

I have an experiment for you. Play with the swich pro controller for an hr.  Play for the dualsense for an hr. Get a good feel for the grip where your hand sits,   feel the buttons.   Then switch over to the series x/s controller.

What you'll notice is a cheap plastic feel on the xbox controller in comparison to the other 2 that feel premium and with a more heft to it. Then next the sensation of the buttons , feel cheap in comparison. Not as satisfying to press, and then ofcourse the clicky clack sounds each press makes gives a feeling of cheap made ones.  This is way more evident at night when your gaming in bedroom and your wife starts complaining, and your left with no choice but to switch to another console.  

Did the experiment. Play with the Switch Pro more than the XBox controller. Like the Xbox better for most games.

But we don't need any experiments, just look at the official specs. The Dualsense and XBox Series controller are about the same weight, with the XBox series slightly heftier at 287 to 281 grams. The distribution may make one feel heavier than the other, but there's no way the Switch Pro would feel heftier. It is significantly lighter at 246 grams. So you are factually wrong. And holding them in your hands, it's pretty obvious which is heftier. 

As for cheap, that's kind of vague. What exactly does cheap plastic feel like? The other two controllers have a more smooth feel, particularly the Dualsense which is smooth all over. The Switch pro is smoother on the grips and textured in other places. Xbox is more textured all over. I personally like it. You're free not to, but I don't see how it feels cheap. 

As for it clicking, again more preference. I don't know what satisfies you personally, but I find all the buttons equally satisfying to push. As for the clicking, most people don't have to game in secret. Don't think it would bother me, and the light would be way more of a problem. But if you have to game like a ninja cause you're married to a light sleeper who is more sensitive to sound than light, and you game in your bedroom, that's kind of a you problem. Microsoft can't make a default controller that's going to be perfect for every situation.

I gave up on the Switch pro after getting the 8bitdo Ultimate Controller. It's much better than Switch pro.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I’ve always been fond of the Switch Pro controller, I do think it’s better than the standard series controller (not that the series controller is bad) just due to its extremely long lasting battery. The Dualsense and Dualsense Edge could have been great if not for the atrocious battery life (it’s even worse in the Edge) … For me the Elite Series 2 controller is the best out there, been using one for years on Xbox and now PC.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

I do not like the symmetric analogs for the Dual Sense. I also hate the touchpad thing in the middle of the controller.

Switch Pro controller is solid, nothing bad but nothing great.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Leynos said:
Pemalite said:

This is why you don't make assumptions, the law of total probability dictates that you can be wrong.
And in this instance, you are.

Shall I take a photo of my PS5, Switch and Xbox controllers together?

NightF0x73 said:

Series controller is so much better than One controller.

How? They are basically identical sans-the share button.

Dpad. It's the best Dpad since Saturn. XBO controller doesn't have the same dpad.

You know what? I had never actually looked at the d-pad on my Day One Xbox One/Xbox One X (As it has slightly different grips to OG Xbox One) and Xbox Series X and didn't realist it was more like a proper pad, rather than the SNES-styled D-pad.

But... Depending on taste, the OG Xbox One/One X D-pay may feel better, it does to me because I grew up on the NES and SNES... And always disliked the Xbox 360 S styled gamepad as it was a "pad" that can be adjusted in height... Just like the Series controller, minus the height adjustment.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

What ever texture the switch pro /dual sense uses, it definitelt feels nicer on the skin. Xbox controller going for a more rough textured surface for grip purposes, doesn't appeal to me. 

I guess the loud buttons convey cheapness to me because it brings back memories to playing on cheap dual shock 2 knock offs on playstation and the first thing i noticed that was fake was the buttons loud and clicky. I still use devices other than controllers with physical buttons, and i'm used to a more premium touch resistance when pressing, and buttons not making loud noises. You can tell when your pressing on something that feels nice to touch. And the series controllers isn't one of them. The other 2 feel much better. 

And i'm not the only one who whose made some noise about it. Alot of reddit posts were made echoing the same thing.  I think the leaked xbox documents showed that microsoft were developing a controller with quieter buttons.