By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you prefer your TV over a cinema screen?

I prefer...

Cinema 7 36.84%

Home TV 10 52.63%

Home projector 0 0%

Any screen, even my phone 0 0%

Imax 1 5.26%

4DX 1 5.26%

Total:19

Outside of audio experience my TV is a much better experience with 4k HDR even when streamed on Netflix or Disney and Prime. Now TV and Youtube is pretty bad streaming wise, so I skip these. 

HDR makes all the difference, turning the lights off and watching Godzilla Minus one was so epic when he was on screen

Then there was Gaurdians of The galaxy 2 and 3 which were so mindbliwingly vibrant the films were made much better because of the vibrant visuals. Absolutely phenomenal colour. 

Thor Love and Thunder was a terrible film that I'd be disappointed with in a cinema but I found the visuals so cool I got something out of it. 

I just wish studios would do better HDR for films, in films that don't benefit from it like Dramas it's usually Windows and sunset scenes that get that treatment when there are so many ways they could implement it to improve the visual styling like a Wes Anderson film. They don't have to go that crazy but adding in some vibrancy here an there even if it's limited would make even Dramas better for it. 

Around the Network

I do not own one, lol.

No TV will ever match the cinema experience lol

G2ThaUNiT said:

No TV will ever match the cinema experience lol

I prefer mine over the cinema screen. I'm asking if other do to.

Edit: Changed title to reflect that more. 

It really depends which cinema. I've seen Oppenheimer on an almost 1000sqm screen (around three or four tennis courts) in a German IMAX (Traumpalast Leonberg). It's is or was until recently (not really sure) the biggest IMAX screen of the world and the whole cinema is great with some lightshow on the walls and so on. But in my hometown the cinema is pretty mehh...it doesn't even have good sound and some loud action scenes are too much for the speakers.

So I still like to go to the cinema but less as in the past and only when I'm in a city I know there's a great cinema with a good package

Around the Network

I vastly prefer the picture quality of my TV at home to the Cinema. Mainly because of two things, frame rate and black level.
I do like movies that is presented with higher framerates in the cinema like Avatar and the Hobbit movies. But most movies stutter to me at the cinema making it annoying to watch.
Black levels are a joke on most traditional movie screens making the picture a washed out grey instead of crisp.

The cinema is still great for the sound and it is another experience watching with a lot of people, getting with the wibe of laughter, gasps and the like. Still generally prefer my home experience since other people are a two edged sword, not everyone have respect for their fellow man.

Cinema, but home tv is much more convinent and cheaper lol

Home TV.

4K HDR
Better black level (why I prefer TV now over home projector)
Pause button available
Rewind available
Subtitles available
Cheap food available
Cheap drinks available
Alcohol and edibles available to enhance the movie :)
Clean bathroom available
More comfortable seating
No travel time
No sticky floors
No smart phone screens
No Popcorn smell
No People walking around

65" TV is big enough to be fully immersed.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 25 September 2024

Home TV by far. OLED for the win.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

^ My people. Been doing some research on how cinemas are holding up, probably gonna change this thread to ask if people think Cinemas are on the way put cause from what I'm seeing it does not look good, even Alien Romulus was considered a flop and even the kids and family films are failing hard the last few years. Question is, is this a recovery period from the pandemic or a sign of something greater... that we all enjoy our TV's more and it's too much of a hassle and annoyance to go to the cinema. Down the rabbit hole I goes.