By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best Sci Fi stories, Games, Film, TV and Books in the last 10 years. Your 10/10s, only.

I've read/listened to recurrsion:

Yes 1 16.67%

No 4 66.67%

No but I will now 0 0%

View results. 1 16.67%

Total:6
Jumpin said:

For All Mankind, while more of an alternate history, also functions as a very grounded sci-fi - one of the very rare ones that deals heavily with space travel without being a space opera - and it was created by one of the most celebrated space opera writers/creative directors, Ronald D. Moore (Senior writer on Star Trek TNG and DS9, Showrunner of Battlestar Galactica 06 and the short lived but fantastic Caprica).

For All Mankind solidifies a lot of the ideas, character types, and themes that Moore had for those shows, and puts them into a much shinier product - the scene work in For All Mankind blows anything he's done before out of the water - they hired some directors of the Fargo series to work along side some of his BSG/ST directors to give it a bit of a Breaking Bad or Coen Brothers stylistic type feeling at points. It's, IMO, the best show of recent times - at least my favourite.

I was also a big fan of Blade Runner 2049.
Black Mirror, nothing more really needs to be said.
And being a giant lifelong Asimov fan, I really love the Foundation TV series as well. I particularly like the way the Imperials utilize tech for maintaining the Empire in a bit of a stasis, while also using it for both pleasure and enforcing tyranny - and watching that unravel. Much like For All Mankind, this one takes place across decades... unlike For All Mankind, this one is very much a space opera type show.

Be nice if it wasn't on Apple plus, damn streaming services. 

Around the Network

I'm not into books these days, same goes for sci-fi tv shows,

But, I am into movies and video games:

The Last of Us - Part 1

Destiny 1

Movies: Ready Player One - 2018

So, sorry to derail your thread Legit, but, here are my all-time 10/10 sci-fi flicks:

Star Wars - Episode 1: A New Hope - 1977

The Road Warrior - 1981

Escape From New York - 1981

Blade Runner - 1982

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan - 1982

The Terminator - 1984

Back to the Future: Part 1 - 1985

Aliens - 1986

Predator - 1987

Jurassic Park Part 1 - 1993

Last edited by BFR - on 24 September 2024

LegitHyperbole said:
Jumpin said:

For All Mankind, while more of an alternate history, also functions as a very grounded sci-fi - one of the very rare ones that deals heavily with space travel without being a space opera - and it was created by one of the most celebrated space opera writers/creative directors, Ronald D. Moore (Senior writer on Star Trek TNG and DS9, Showrunner of Battlestar Galactica 06 and the short lived but fantastic Caprica).

For All Mankind solidifies a lot of the ideas, character types, and themes that Moore had for those shows, and puts them into a much shinier product - the scene work in For All Mankind blows anything he's done before out of the water - they hired some directors of the Fargo series to work along side some of his BSG/ST directors to give it a bit of a Breaking Bad or Coen Brothers stylistic type feeling at points. It's, IMO, the best show of recent times - at least my favourite.

I was also a big fan of Blade Runner 2049.
Black Mirror, nothing more really needs to be said.
And being a giant lifelong Asimov fan, I really love the Foundation TV series as well. I particularly like the way the Imperials utilize tech for maintaining the Empire in a bit of a stasis, while also using it for both pleasure and enforcing tyranny - and watching that unravel. Much like For All Mankind, this one takes place across decades... unlike For All Mankind, this one is very much a space opera type show.

Apple Plus is my favourite of the streaming services right now for original shows. Unfortunately, Netflix became a graveyard of unfinished shows - so only shows like Black Mirror are really safe.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Apple Plus is my favourite of the streaming services right now for original shows. Unfortunately, Netflix became a graveyard of unfinished shows - so only shows like Black Mirror are really safe.

I might give it a try for a month. Anything you'd recommend that I can't get anywhere else? I know Dark Matter is on there and if it's anything like the book it must be great. 

Forgot Transcendence, a great overlooked and underatted film from a few years back about AI and trans humanism. Also, Maniac a TV show that is not just a great and unique sci fi but also has a great comic tone to it. Really enjoyable watch.

Around the Network

Project Hail Mary was the only example that came to mind when reading the thread heading. Would call it a 10/10 book.
Think I need to read Recurrsion since I enjoyed a lot of the media listed. Have not found a good Sci-Fi to listen to since Project Hail Mary.
Read a few good Swedish Sci-Fi but nothing on a 10/10 level and also read the book 3 body problem that I liked the ideas in more than the presentation, have yet to watch the series.

I think the first season of Westworld might be a contender. Also really like Arcane when it comes to TV-series. A few of the episodes of Black Mirror is great as well.

Nolans Interstellar and for me Tenet are worth a mention in the movie department. The script for Tenet have a lot of flaws, mainly the interactions and motives of the villain, but some of the things in Tenet are so well executed that it is as mind boggling as the premise.
Arrival is another great Sci Fi with an interesting take and focus on the alien first contact premise.
I also really liked Passengers

Pajderman said:

Project Hail Mary was the only example that came to mind when reading the thread heading. Would call it a 10/10 book.
Think I need to read Recurrsion since I enjoyed a lot of the media listed. Have not found a good Sci-Fi to listen to since Project Hail Mary.
Read a few good Swedish Sci-Fi but nothing on a 10/10 level and also read the book 3 body problem that I liked the ideas in more than the presentation, have yet to watch the series.

I think the first season of Westworld might be a contender. Also really like Arcane when it comes to TV-series. A few of the episodes of Black Mirror is great as well.

Nolans Interstellar and for me Tenet are worth a mention in the movie department. The script for Tenet have a lot of flaws, mainly the interactions and motives of the villain, but some of the things in Tenet are so well executed that it is as mind boggling as the premise.
Arrival is another great Sci Fi with an interesting take and focus on the alien first contact premise.
I also really liked Passengers

Oh man, Recurrsion is insanely good. It's from the same author who done Dark Matter (pretty good audible listen) which was turned into a TV show on Apple plus. Recurssion is on a different level though, it takes a lot to blow my mind but this went hard. I only wish I had bought the paper back and not listened on audible so I could have savoured the experience more. The listen had me lying down with my eyes closed cause I was so into it. 

Oh and more examples I forgot. Tenet is a 10/10 but it takes two watches for it to reach that level, First watching was like an 8 of 10 or so. Weird how that works.

10/10:
Nothing really.

Pretty good:
The Expanse...somewhat.
Arrival had interesting premise.

Popcorn pleasures:
Killjoys (2015-2019)
Dark Matter (2015-2017)

Only 10/10 I can think of is Severance, simply amazing.

Quantum Break comes close.

Fringe is also 10/10 but misses the time cutoff.

Machina said:

Sci-fi's my favourite genre out of everything, but I almost never give 10s.

I've only ever given three films 10/10; all of them are sci-fi, but only one was in the last 10 years - Dune: Part One. The other two are Gattaca and 28 Days Later.

For TV shows it's similar - there are only three I've given 10/10 to, only one of those was in the last decade and it wasn't sci-fi. 

I've given more novels max ratings, but they were all written decades ago (four by Jack Vance, three by Asimov, one by Joe Haldeman, and one by John Scalzi).

I haven't given any video games 10/10.

--

Changing the criteria slightly to 'best sci-fi xxxxxx in the last 10 years', then I'd say:

Films:

• Dune: Part One
    • Edge of Tomorrow
    • Blade Runner 2049
    • Furiosa
    • Mad Max: Fury Road
    • Oblivion

TV Series:

• Severance
    • Mr. Robot
    • Love, Death & Robots
    • Black Mirror
    • For All Mankind

Novels:

• Beacon 23
    • The Collapsing Empire
    • Sea of Rust
    • Sand

Video Games:

• Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
    • Control
    • Inside
    • The Last of Us
    • Resident Evil 2 Remake
    • Resident Evil 4 Remake
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • The Surge
    • Horizon Zero Dawn

Are you saying you liked Dune Part One more than Dune Part Two? Please explain your stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.