By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

curl-6 said:

This does raise the question of how much the PS6 is gonna cost.
If it arrives in 2027/2028, the hardware needed to provide a substantial perceptual leap over PS5 Pro is not going to come cheap, especially given diminishing returns.
The pursuit of high end graphics could see a large portion of the console audience simply priced out of the market.

This is why PSSR is going to be so important, and getting a first gen version of it working with a mid gen refresh is possibly going to have very real benefits with gen 2 on PS6.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Expand
EricHiggin said:

If the economy and inflation don't really change much, PS6 won't be able to be cheap and powerful. It just won't be possible.

Plus unless MS makes some serious moves with XB hardware, SNY will have little reason to make next gen cheap. The only reason we got the $399 PS5 Digital is because of the Series S. As soon as SNY knew they had enough momentum behind PS5, which came by the time PS5 Slim launched, they decided they didn't need to try and compete with Series S really. That's a big reason why the price went up.

A 'cheap' PS6 in 2028, as of now, isn't going to be that much more powerful than PS5 Pro and will cost $499.

In retrospect, PS5 should've been like 8TF and $399, or SNY shouldn't have launched the PS5 Pro.

With the recent inflation, $499 in 2020 is already $590 today. I don't see PS6 launching for anything less than $599.

Maybe $549 without disc drive.

The Series S sold much better than Series X despite being on par with XBox One X. Sony could follow and launch 2 different power tiers at the start of next generation as well. Then the cheaper one could be $399, premium one $599.

If they both have the same CPU with the difference on the GPU side, maybe we will get more physics rather than more pixels!

SNY won't launch next gen above $499. That was the right price for PS5 this gen, if the economy had remained chugging along like it was. $299 for a few gens, $399 for a few gens, now $499. Or at least those should've been the launch prices. That's part of the reason why PS3 was so shocking.

PS5 Pro is only going to sell maybe 10% of total sales if it's lucky. If they sell PS6 for $599, that same crowd will buy it, and maybe some launch buyers who don't necessarily care about mid gen upgrades, but that's only a tiny fraction of the target audience.

SNY can't afford to do that, unless they plan on actually operating the ecosystem as if PS6 is really just a PS5 Premium, beyond Pro. I don't see that happening.

As for copying what XB did, SNY might do that if XB backs off or out of console hardware. If XB moves forward with the same idea next gen, or goes back to one single top tier SKU, I don't see SNY copying XB this gen because of how well PS5 sold vs the Series consoles.

Now if XB does back down on hardware, then SNY could possibly do that. Make PS6 a new version of the PS5 Pro, and launch a PS6 Pro at the same time. If SNY were to do that, around 2028, I'm guessing pricing would be $499 and $749 as things stand now. 

EricHiggin said:

SNY won't launch next gen above $499. That was the right price for PS5 this gen, if the economy had remained chugging along like it was. $299 for a few gens, $399 for a few gens, now $499. Or at least those should've been the launch prices. That's part of the reason why PS3 was so shocking.

PS5 Pro is only going to sell maybe 10% of total sales if it's lucky. If they sell PS6 for $599, that same crowd will buy it, and maybe some launch buyers who don't necessarily care about mid gen upgrades, but that's only a tiny fraction of the target audience.

SNY can't afford to do that, unless they plan on actually operating the ecosystem as if PS6 is really just a PS5 Premium, beyond Pro. I don't see that happening.

As for copying what XB did, SNY might do that if XB backs off or out of console hardware. If XB moves forward with the same idea next gen, or goes back to one single top tier SKU, I don't see SNY copying XB this gen because of how well PS5 sold vs the Series consoles.

Now if XB does back down on hardware, then SNY could possibly do that. Make PS6 a new version of the PS5 Pro, and launch a PS6 Pro at the same time. If SNY were to do that, around 2028, I'm guessing pricing would be $499 and $749 as things stand now. 

I'm guessing it's going to be a long generation, 2029 possibly. By 2028 $599 won't be as shocking anymore as it is today and will be worth less than $499 was in 2020.

But agreed, I can see a $499 and $749 launch happening. And another long transition period, supporting the PS5 well into next generation. To get that leap feel you'll have to go from Pro to Pro and skip the base consoles. Cross gen games until the next Pro comes out.

SvennoJ said:
Kyuu said:

If the economy continues to "wtf" us, they should target lower specs like the PS4 or even Xbox One, and "portabilize" it midgen as an enthusiast optional SKU. PS5 DE was an incredible system at launch as far as "power per buck". But its value significantly decreased over the years.

The new generation of gamers by 2028 will have not experienced "perceptual leaps" as we old console gamers knew them. Console generational leaps since the PS5 launched are a lot more similar to upgrading from a console to a PC within the same generation (so basically higher resolution, framerate, settings, and little else. You're rarely going to see nextgen games that are visually or mechanically jawdropping in the PS6 gen regardless of specs).

A "cheap" PS6 launching in 2028 should still have much better specs overall than PS5 Pro, because base consoles serve a different purpose than enthusiast devices and pack a lot more power per dollar.

The leaps will come in physics rather than visuals. Astrobot already hos tons of physically animated objects, however mostly just for show. Yet the physics based destruction is already adding to the game play. (ugh cutting out stuff on the crumbling platforms) The fluid simulation is also pretty cool and a promise for later games to actually treat water like a substance with volume rather than faking it. More games like From Dust, not hampered by small map size.

Mechanically jaw dropping games will come. We already had one, TotK, what you can do when you don't prioritize graphics. Problem with MS and Sony is, all the juice is used for looks. Yet now Hellblade 2 turned out not to sell, priorities might finally shift.

Basically the leaps will come from better distributed processing on the CPU side. More cores to handle more physics. While RT will change the look of games.

Anyway I still see perceptual leaps. Playing Miles Morales after Spider Man 2 was quite a downgrade. Plus we don't know yet what the 'generational leap' is, typically it takes to the end of the generation for the games to come out that show what the hardware is fully capable of.

Early PS3 games didn't feel like a generational leap either, despite going from SD to HD.

PS6 might have a 16 core CPU, probably 24GB RAM, the juice needed for simulating worlds. With 1440p upscaled to 4K being more than enough for the TV experience, priorities should shift to the simulation part rather than all on rendering.

The level of physics and interactivity in AstroBot is incredible from what I've watched so far (I'll get the game in a few days). In my opinion it's easily the most impressive currentgen exclusive "technologically" if you will, even though it's a small budget game made by 60 devs. TotK did amazing things on a hardware comparable to a 2007 PC lol, goes to show that hardware limitations aren't the only problem.

Wanna hear something funny? The PS2 is as old today as the Atari 2600 was when the PS2 launched! Technology will continue to advance and I still respect the improvement, but that's because I adjusted myself and accepted that we're in a different time and the thing that I want is no longer possible. VR came close to that "shift" that I was yearning for, but you probably know my issues with it.

Kyuu said:

The level of physics and interactivity in AstroBot is incredible from what I've watched so far (I'll get the game in a few days). In my opinion it's easily the most impressive currentgen exclusive "technologically" if you will, even though it's a small budget game made by 60 devs. TotK did amazing things on a hardware comparable to a 2007 PC lol, goes to show that hardware limitations aren't the only problem.

Wanna hear something funny? The PS2 is as old today as the Atari 2600 was when the PS2 launched! Technology will continue to advance and I still respect the improvement, but that's because I adjusted myself and accepted that we're in a different time and the thing that I want is no longer possible. VR came close to that "shift" that I was yearning for, but you probably know my issues with it.

If it's motion sickness, that will get better. Especially when the Vergence-accommodation conflict gets solved.

Yet VR will continue to require some getting used to. Slow steps to get your brain to accept the lack of physical movement feedback.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Kyuu said:

If it's motion sickness, that will get better. Especially when the Vergence-accommodation conflict gets solved.

Yet VR will continue to require some getting used to. Slow steps to get your brain to accept the lack of physical movement feedback.

Yeah it's this + general discomfort + sweat! + lack of space + maintenance/cleaning laziness + I'm a minimalist + weaker software support than I would have liked.

I'm giving it another shot once I move to a bigger house, and will try to keep my playing sessions very short so my brain stops associating it with nausea or messes up the perception of my real body (for a couple of days my arm and joints didn't feel right, an unsettling sensation). It didn't help that I played in a hot humid summer.

Kyuu said:

Yeah it's this + general discomfort + sweat! + lack of space + maintenance/cleaning laziness + I'm a minimalist + weaker software support than I would have liked.

I'm giving it another shot once I move to a bigger house, and will try to keep my playing sessions very short so my brain stops associating it with nausea or messes up the perception of my real body (for a couple of days my arm and joints didn't feel right, an unsettling sensation). It didn't help that I played in a hot humid summer.

Yeah those are the worst conditions, hot and humid does not go with VR.

For motion sickness a lot of people recommend playing with a fan pointed at you. The air flow somehow helps with motion sickness and as a bonus less sweating.

Maintenance is very low, the less cleaning the better. People trying to keep the lenses spotless often ruin them by cleaning too hard. But you can buy inserts nowadays to protect the lenses, take em out to clean them.

The rest should get better over time, lighter, more comfortable, better pass through, better software support.

Also motion sickness and brain/hand dissociation will fade over time. I had motion sickness when PSVR1 came out as well, some games were too intense. Start with stationary games until you feel comfortable, then cockpit games, last walking/running games.  And indeed stop as soon as you feel discomfort otherwise you will already feel motion sick thinking about starting a VR session.

I also had depth perception issues after long VR sessions on PSVR1. Don't go running down the stairs after VR lol. Yet now with PSVR2 I've only feel a bit of discomfort when some unexpected movement happens while I'm looking in a different direction. The key to overcoming motion sickness is to know what to expect. I compare it to learning how to step on/off an escalator. Your brain needs to get used to what will happen when you press forward to walk, or left to turn. (Use snap turn first, then for me faster turning speeds work much better than slower rotation) And always look in the direction you intend to go.

It's the same with driving. Behind the wheel you're much less likely to get motion sick than as a passenger. Be in control, anticipate what is going to happen. Like bracing for a turn in a car. Hence the biggest risk of triggering motion sickness is when the game controls the movement in cut scenes.

Anyway, it's like learning how to ride a bike. Once you're used to it, you're set for life.

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm guessing it's going to be a long generation, 2029 possibly. By 2028 $599 won't be as shocking anymore as it is today and will be worth less than $499 was in 2020.

But agreed, I can see a $499 and $749 launch happening. And another long transition period, supporting the PS5 well into next generation. To get that leap feel you'll have to go from Pro to Pro and skip the base consoles. Cross gen games until the next Pro comes out.

$599 by then wouldn't be as shocking if inflation remains as is or somehow gets even worse. But if the worldwide economy is in that kinda shape by then, unless something else happens worldwide that creates a bunch of free time for people, you're not going to see the same great sales that happened early on in this gen. You would end up with another PS3 early sales scenario, if not worse.

In that type of scenario, $499 is the most SNY will be able to ask for a launch console, and sales would probably be just ok at best. Even if things start to turn around by then, $499 is all casual gamers will be willing to spend for a next gen console at that point. Not until PS7 could SNY ask for more at launch possibly.

So, apparently, the price for Playstation 5 Pro in Brazil is gonna be R$ 6.999.

My salary is R$ 1.500 per month.

Yeah, not going to buy it at all.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

So, apparently, the price for Playstation 5 Pro in Brazil is gonna be R$ 6.999.

My salary is R$ 1.500 per month.

Yeah, not going to buy it at all.

And here we all thought you were a true gamer.

Spoiler!
/s

October 2024 Articles:

Star Wars Outlaws (XS) Review -- 4/10 |