By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

Zippy6 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Where'd this get reported? I'll belive it when I see Wu Kong with no artifcating in performance mode. Is there a consnesus or do you believe this to be enough to get games at 60fps with 4k or is that too much of an ask? 

Many sites reported on a spec leak and no one has backtracked on that information yet: Spec Analysis: PlayStation 5 Pro - the most powerful console yet | Eurogamer.net

Using Space Marines 2 as an example, on Performance Mode on PS5 it runs at 720p-1080p natively and then is upscaled to 1440p by FSR for a pretty underwhelming result. I expect PS5 Pro would run it at something like 1080p-1200p natively and then upscale it to 4k with PSSR which should give a far better looking image.

A lot hinges on PSSR being much better than FSR. But we can have some confidence it will be, if it wasn't then Sony wouldn't have bothered making it and just stuck with FSR.

Basically the games on PS5 that currently drop to 1080p levels of image quality for their 60fps modes should get 4k image quality on the PS5 Pro. The PS5 Pro isn't going to be pushing massive increases in the native res but combined with much better upscaling it should make a big difference.

Ooh. I'm like a kid at Christmas. Can't wait to see this now, 4 more hours. Woo. 

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

For games using PSSR, I expect a near 2x improvement in effective resolution.

For games using PSSR + RayTracing, the improvement might be around 3x or better, or 2x with higher RT settings.

As long as it works as well as DLSS that is and doesn't ruin the image. I find chasing RT unimpressive, it's so underwhelming on console I can't see them getting PC RT quality. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Kyuu said:

For games using PSSR, I expect a near 2x improvement in effective resolution.

For games using PSSR + RayTracing, the improvement might be around 3x or better, or 2x with higher RT settings.

As long as it works as well as DLSS that is and doesn't ruin the image. I find chasing RT unimpressive, it's so underwhelming on console I can't see them getting PC RT quality. 

I mean this depends on which PC GPU you're comparing it to, and how big of an improvement RT will be on it (it's supposedly RDNA4 based and a massive efficiency improvement over RDNA2).

How much longer for it to start?
This timezones make no sense to me, only know GMT/UTC, lol.

BraLoD said:

2.5 hours. so 3PM GMT/UTC.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
BraLoD said:

Pretty good timing, it'll be 12pm here which is when I get my lunch break.

Kyuu said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I mean this depends on which PC GPU you're comparing it to, and how big of an improvement RT will be on it (it's supposedly RDNA4 based and a massive efficiency improvement over RDNA2).

Let's say RT on High on WuKong where you can actually see the benefits. The Witcher 3 remaster showed zero benefit and that was an old game. If you see it as 2x the that's not gonna cut it for something like WuKong. It's such an underwhelming look where so many other effects could be using the power. 

Zippy6 said:
BraLoD said:

Just to clarify that is 4pm BST cuase it's daylight savings. 

BraLoD said:

4PM BST, exactly two hours from now. 

Prediction. Ps5 drops to $450, Pro is $550 no disk drive.

Edit

Also DLSS works great at native 1080p and is mind blowing at native 1440p.  I can't tell the difference between native 4k and 1440p DLSS.  If Playstation upscaling works well, it will be a huge get for 60 fps, since rendering will be lower.  FSR blows and isn't good.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED